IGNORED

Weird NES issue

Iv'e got a NES that has a weird issue, i've google searched and i can't find any fix specifically to this problem. Initially i had the white screen of death, i changed the cart connector (with a 100% known good one) and disabled the lock out chip. This seemed to fix it (so i thought) The problem is now it works intermittently. If i put a cart in and turn it on it works, turn it off (not touch anything) turn it back on and it's white screen again. It seems to boot up randomly even if the cart is connecting good in the connector. Any advise would be appreciated :)

If you disabled the lockout chip by clipping the pin, I believe I read that method will usually work, but not always and you may need to tie the clipped lead to either +5 or ground (not sure which). In that case, your symptom might be explained by that signal "floating" and acting as either +5 or gnd just depending on random noise at the time of reset.

When you changed the pin connector I will assume it was a used one and original at that. You are not going to get the results you want. Anyhow when you changed it did you clean the board pins extremely well? In my opinion cleaning the actual board pins the connector slides onto is just as important as changing the connector itself.

I use to use brasso on them and then coat w/deoxit gold as that was the only way to get a connection that yielded excellent results. I have since just went back to rubbing alcohol and new pin connectors as they kind of dig into the pins better, but it still doesn't yield better results than brasso and deoxit gold.. Fact is the cleaner you get the board pins the better results you will get.

I always juts pop the lock-out out of the chip myself, that is not your problem here though.

How squeaky clean are your carts? It probably doesn't need saying but scrub. Those. Carts! I try to take the carts apart and rub with a clean eraser and then some iso alocohol or a shot of electrical contact cleaner to take off any rubber residue.

That reminds me...I haven't done that to MY carts in a while....

I think most of us havent cleaned games in awhile. Theres just so many. Im about keeping the original connector and rehabbing it to like new and off works. Book the funk off wash rinse repeat. Any wonky compressed pins safety pin them up before hand. It doesnt fail with a reasonably clean game or better