IGNORED

600XL w/512K Expansion board and DIN composite out - DONE!

NISMOPC

Been a lot of trial and error with this project. Goal was to have compact design with the power of the 130XE (and more). Goal achieved...

Had to create a slight flap on the shield to allow the ANTIC chip to fit with raised expansion board. Used some insulating tape to protect from the keyboard.

I also went with a 5/8" hole for the composite DIN instead of a 3/4". Seems to be a lot closer to original power hole and would rather be slightly smaller than slightly larger. Ended up using the DIN connection from a salvaged 130XE board instead of the one that came with the kit as the 130XE was an exact match to the 600XL power DIN design. Internal aesthetics, I know ;-)

This unit already had a 64K upgrade, but that is causing boot delays, so I am planning to go back to the stock 16K set-up to hopefully remove the delay. Since the 512K does not need to use the 64K onboard, I have no issues reverting back to 16K.

post-61269-0-71039600-1529076776_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-38887300-1529076785_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-45283100-1529076794_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-77606200-1529076830_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-54575700-1529076838_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-55366100-1529076845_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-60908800-1529076853_thumb.jpg

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 2

This unit already had a 64K upgrade, but that is causing boot delays, so I am planning to go back to the stock 16K set-up to hopefully remove the delay. Since the 512K does not need to use the 64K onboard, I have no issues reverting back to 16K.

Pretty sure this upgrade does not replace the internal RAM. its 512KB of 'additional' banked RAM. (for 576KB total) Hmm, looking at tf_hh's description it doesn't explicitly say though. If tf_hh's upgrade was named a 576K board, that would be obvious. :)

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 1

Future plan is to place a USB SIO2PC in the RF modulator location and drill some activity pass thru light access openings on the top of the case for power and transmission signals. Simple yet effective internal vs. external.

• Like 1

Pretty sure this upgrade does not replace the internal RAM. its 512KB of 'additional' banked RAM. (for 576KB total) Hmm, looking at tf_hh's description it doesn't explicitly say though. If tf_hh's upgrade was named a 576K board, that would be obvious. :)

Yea, for my use, I am not concerned either way. The lack of the extra 48K isn't going to disrupt my needs.

• Like 1

Would be impossible due to the fact that only one SRAM chip with 4 megabit (512 KByte x 8 ) is found on the PCB :)

• Like 2

You should leave the internal 64 KB - my expansion "only" supports 512 KB port-B controlled expansion RAM, but no internal RAM.

• Like 2

Been a lot of trial and error with this project. Goal was to have compact design with the power of the 130XE (and more). Goal achieved...

Had to create a slight flap on the shield to allow the ANTIC chip to fit with raised expansion board. Used some insulating tape to protect from the keyboard.

Do you really even need the shielding? Why not simply remove it altogether? I ask because I am giving serious consideration to picking up a 600XL to do some modding on and I'm thinking of how I might be able to maximize the limited space in the 600XL shell.

Do you really even need the shielding? Why not simply remove it altogether? I ask because I am giving serious consideration to picking up a 600XL to do some modding on and I'm thinking of how I might be able to maximize the limited space in the 600XL shell.

Personal preference. No reason to keep it on there. One of those, "Can I do it?" situations. I tried. It worked.

• Like 1

T34 - The Battle. Only game I could think of to test that needs extra memory at the time.

Oh, OK. I have a few programs at home that will test your XL system and identify extra installed RAM. I can pass them your way later if you would like.

Edited by SS

The shields from all the computers I've opened up are all in a box somewhere. I never put them back on.

• Like 1

Ok. Guess I'll just deal with the delay... Thanks for responded Jurgen!

One way to get around the delay is to install an OS ROM that supports cold boot from the keyboard. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the electronics too. Personally I like the stock XL OS with Hias's High speed IO patches applied. It's also pretty easy to make a DIY 4, 8, or 16 OS switcher with just an EPROM, switch and some resistors. You just need a way to burn EPROMS.

• Like 1

Been so long since I used a 16KB 600XL. Is initial POST really faster with only 16KB? I guess it would make sense if it tests all available addresses of RAM.

The newer/faster memory takes longer to dump when the system is turned off.

There is really no difference in boot times between all "stock" 8-bits no matter the model or amount of stock memory.

It depends on the upgrade, the Newell 1MB board is all extended RAM, giving 1088kB total.

It depends on the upgrade, the Newell 1MB board is all extended RAM, giving 1088kB total.

You should leave the internal 64 KB - my expansion "only" supports 512 KB port-B controlled expansion RAM, but no internal RAM.

Per Jurgen (tf_hh), I need to leave it. I have a 800XL I also added the 512K to, so if it really ends up bothering me, I'll just swap systems. I've got plenty of systems to swap between, so no biggie.

One way to get around the delay is to install an OS ROM that supports cold boot from the keyboard. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the electronics too. Personally I like the stock XL OS with Hias's High speed IO patches applied. It's also pretty easy to make a DIY 4, 8, or 16 OS switcher with just an EPROM, switch and some resistors. You just need a way to burn EPROMS.

I've been going through similar process of bringing a 600xl to a usable state.

I did the din and hole mod, I put an UAV, etc. Next step is replacing the OS chip.

Do you have the link to the Hias OS version w/ the cold start feature? Does it activate with Shft-reset?

Does Hias high speed OS mod work with Mini Speedy 1050 (Jurgen tfhh)?

Mauricio

Btw, 600XL just look so beautiful, an sleek. When I compare it now with the 800XL, the later look bloated and heavy... I just got used to the 600XL, even though I grew up with 800XLs around.

Edited by manterola

I've got tons of upgrades as you can see below, and the original shielding would never fit anymore, and I have gone without shielding for years without problems. That being said, I do one day intend to modify my shielding and put as much of it back in place as I can, when I'm all done upgrading. Why? Literal and Psychological closure/completeness? I don't know, but I am going to do it.

I've been going through similar process of bringing a 600xl to a usable state.

I did the din and hole mod, I put an UAV, etc. Next step is replacing the OS chip.

Do you have the link to the Hias OS version w/ the cold start feature? Does it activate with Shft-reset?

Does Hias high speed OS mod work with Mini Speedy 1050 (Jurgen tfhh)?

Mauricio

Btw, 600XL just look so beautiful, an sleek. When I compare it now with the 800XL, the later look bloated and heavy... I just got used to the 600XL, even though I grew up with 800XLs around.

here is the link to the OS ROM file:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/206880-130xe-reverse-option-key-for-basic/page-2

it also reverses the option key functionality :)

just burn it to a 27C128 EPROM and bung it in!

Edited by xrbrevin

here is the link to the OS ROM file:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/206880-130xe-reverse-option-key-for-basic/page-2

it also reverses the option key functionality :)

just burn it to a 27C128 EPROM and bung it in!

Finally burned this exact replacement OS ROM a few days ago as described, and here's a pic of it installed in my 800XL.

Also a nice little adapter board to put a 28pin 27C64 into the 24pin socket for BASIC rev C. (or any other 8K cart ROM hah - the adapter supports up to 27C512, there's solder points that can be used for switching banks I guess) Also visible to the right is the lifted C77 and C78 to improve high-speed SIO.

600XL has holes on motherboard a 28pin 27C64 compatible socket with 2 jumper changes for BASIC ROM.

post-53052-0-59349600-1529136589_thumb.jpg

post-53052-0-77920200-1529136764_thumb.jpg