IGNORED

SD multicarts we desperately need

I would take a non-obscenely expensive one for the Neo-Geo and in that same vein of pricey hell same for the CD based PC Engine too being run off a SD card loaded with ISOs/ROMs.

Well, the NeoSD flash cart being obscenely priced, isn't that just par for the course when it comes to Neo Geo carts anyway? :-D Besides, price out what you'd pay for all those games on their own, AES or MVS, and it really isn't' all that unreasonable.

I got mine from SAG and I have nothing but praise for it. I hear there is a NeoSD Pro on its way that's faster and stores up to 4 games at a time so you can switch between them without having to reflash them.

Now all I need is a good upscaler for my OMEGA Entertainment Machine since my new LG Super UHD set doesn't like the OMEGA's native resolution...

What you want is the firmware in the cartridge to automatically scan the files and folders and build a menu. The sd card is not necessary if the cartridge presents itself as a usb mass storage class device to your computer.

That would work but I have not seen a flash cart set up like that.

No it's not unreasonable against the originals, but it's still just too high for a kit really as well. I'm sure they probably justify it away with some huge R&D costs before dropping it on the market since they have a team at it. But looking at your argument I just think about one of the earliest getting a kit, the NES. How many 100-1000 price range games does it have, and the kits are like $100. Sure the NES is far less complex than the NG is, but it doesn't make it any easier to stomach or save up to buy either. There are far more complex kits that adapt consoles to use SD cards like the one for Dreamcast or other flash kits like the SNES which is more powerful and they cost a lot less too. It just kind of is an odd stand out.

And yes that Pro is coming, and it does just as you said. I'm sure they went into panic mode despite the Darksoft incomptence going on over their NG kit because the additions that Terraonion did were the same -- multiple games, faster loading, larger storage, nicer menu, other fluff options. I only wonder if they drop the price of the NeoSD a good bit, or so they put some even higher in the sky price on that updated model instead. They're not alone on the market so they either need to compete or ignore them and hope for the best.

• Like 1

I guess that the end user experience for you seems to not be much different, but the NeoSDs actually are much more "complex". If a product isn't worth the entry price for you then that's all that matters.

The Neo Geo hardware and existing library just happens to have much more to accomodate for than most classic consoles. Particularly if shooting for a high level of accuracy.

Independent of everything that goes on under the hood, they use a couple large pcbs and a large cart shell. It's much more to manufacture than a SNES flashcart or an sd card reading usb stick.

You also have to factor in the low number of posdible sales a Neo Geo product will ever see compared to anything for NES or SNES. If a million people pre-ordered a NeoSD with a one year lead time, it would likely be possible to get the price lowered quite a bit. As it is,they likely haven't turned a profit yet.

What about Microvision? One would need to set up FPGA or something to emulate the CPU with menu ROM programmed, load the ROM file within CPU off SD card, then start the game.

Microvision is an oddball system in that rather than separate permanent CPU in the main system and separate ROM on the cartridge, MB opted for a CPU that stores ROM inside so each cartridge had to have its own CPU. This makes homemade game virtually impossible since one would have to source obsolete CPU chips for programming games, and AFAIK those can't be re-programmed so if there's a bad burn or a serious bug in the game, you got to throw away burned CPUs.