IGNORED

Question about editors

Andrew:

I know you have mentioned the Microsoft Developer Suite, which I presume is Visual Studio x, and I know any text editor will suffice. My question is, would you recommend either of the following freeware ASM dev tools (IDE's) for VCS development? Yes, I do realize this may be a "Howitzer to swat a fly" scenario. :)

AsmEdit V4.7

http://asmedit.massmind.org/

RadASM

http://radasm.sonshinesoftware.com/

Both seem very powerful, and perhaps beyond the scope of this lesson plan, so I thought I'd mention them here.

Opinions?

I would recommend you use DASM for 2600 development. The reason I say this is because DASM has become the compiler of the Stella list. If you ever need help it would be easier to send DASM source code for the list to examine.

Dennis:

Understood. I fully intend to compile using DASM. I do not, however, intend to use DASM as an editor... :)

I've been using RadASM and ASMEdit for about 2 years on other efforts and was trying to get a sense if this would be a viable tool for VCS development.

I've been using RadASM and ASMEdit for about 2 years on other efforts and was trying to get a sense if this would be a viable tool for VCS development.

I just looked at those two links, and as far as I can tell, it looks like neither of those IDEs support dasm (well, at least out of the box).

I guess the question is what are you wanting out of these IDEs? Are you looking for project management or are you looking for an editor, or both? If it's just an editor, then you'd probally be fine with them. But if you want project management, then these probally won't work.

Personally, I use make and vim under Linux, but that's just me :) The way I have it setup right now, each .asm file generates a .bin, so it's not very flexible for large projects (what exactly constitutes a large project on the 2600?? :D )

Dennis:

I was looking at these tools for a "cradle to grave" solution. Perhaps theses tools are not the right environment for VCS development methodology. Not a show stopper, merely pinging the experts to get some opinions. :)

If it's an editor you are looking for, I would recommend Programmer's File Editor (PFE). It's a free utility similar to notepad but with tons of features targeted at programmer's needs. For example it make auto backups or you can customize it to run dasm automatically with all the switches and code you are working on. It comes in DOS and Win32 flavors.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

I actually used PFE for several years and found it to be very useful. Recently, within the past 2 years, I made the switch to UltraEdit. Granted it's not freeware, but it is very powerful. In fact, one can very easily add 6502 opcodes to the "text highlighter" to make your VCS code more readable. I'm sure it too can be extended to allow compilation with DASM thru a CLI or perhaps embedded as an object, I just haven't taken the time to investigate that.

Thanks one and all for the great feedback. This reaffirms why AA is such a great community. :)

I use UltraEdit as my editor of choice and I have it set up to run DASM, Distella and Z26 via keyboard shortcuts. I'm using an old version (8.10)but in that version at least calling of external programs is set up from the advanced menu.

I just upgraded to 10.0a and I love it.  Perhaps you'd be willing to share your config to run "DASM, Distella and Z26"?  :)  I'd also add CyberStella as it seems to behave better under Win2k.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to export the tool configurations (in my version at least) but they're all pretty simple. They just call the appropriate execuatable with the UltraEdit variables that represent the current file. The dasm command line for example is

C:DevelopmentAtari2600dasm212dasm.exe %F -v3 -f3 -o%P%N.bin

I haven't had any problems with the new windows native versions of Z26 under XP. If you're still using the old DOS versions I'd try an upgrade.

I'll probably upgrade UltraEdit at some stage but my free upgrade period ran out long ago and v8.10 works fine for my needs.

Archived