IGNORED

I had a dream...

...of chocolates, teddy bears, spinning barber shop poles, trains, balloons, and presents. I woke up and I just couldn't get this stuff out of my head. It was a familiar feeling of joy and wonderment, and one that I hadn't felt since childhood.

I couldn't shake the strange feeling and the visions all morning... I started wondering where it all came from and why the music was so vivid. I could almost make out all the notes, but it was the emotion the notes evoked that was so vibrant... I couldn't quite put them all together.

As I went through my day today, I started seeing seeing a game... a simple game that chewed into my psyche. More of the notes started working their way together in my head on my way into work, and I remembered something critical.... stretching.... something stretching very high and grabbing on to a hard surface, then pulling itself up... I remembered a character that danced back and forth and a feeling of happiness intertwined with a sense of urgency.

What the hell was going on in my brain?!?!

About an hour into work, I remembered something that put me on track.... I remembered a small grey rectangular button recessed into a hard black plastic surface.....

All of a sudden, life sprang into my memories and I remembered. I hopped onto the internet and started searching for all these elements... a game, teddy bears, black plastic console, music, teddy bears, chocolates, barber poles....

It was there!!! I remembered! It was a quick 10 seconds on YouTube and I had what I was searching for. The music, OH THE MUSIC!!!!!!

Then it all flooded back. I was 9 years old, I had gone with my dad to some guy's apartment in Ft. Worth Texas to respond to an ad in the local paper. He was selling a Sega Genesis with 4 games for $120.00. It was probably just about all my dad had at the time, but we went.... and we bought it. I was an Atari and Nintendo kid, and on that warm Fall night, I saw 16 bit glory for the first time.

Sonic the Hedgehog was absolutely mind blowing.... the colors, the sounds.... the first time seeing those colors on a TV.... There was PGA Tour Golf... a game my dad loved and I loved as well. There was John Madden football, which was a graphical revelation and probably the main reason my dad was excited to get the Genesis. And then...... there was Robocod. It wasn't my favorite game at the time, it actually never became my favorite game.... but that night, when we brought that beautiful system home in all it's regal majesty, this was the game I chose to play well into the night.

It was played pretty heavily for about a year, and then basically forgotten about. Probably went into a box or something that got lost in one of our many moves. But last night I had a dream.... and the sights, sounds, and emotions all came back to me from that Autumn night in 1991. It made me remember how much I love games and how important they were to me as a kid. It made me remember that bond between me and my dad.

Why this game and not Sonic? I don't really know... but all I know is that I will be looking for a copy of this game for my Genesis and I'll let my own 9 year old son have a go at it. Maybe one day he will remember it as fondly as I do.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 8

"...of chocolates, teddy bears, spinning barber shop poles, trains, balloons, and presents. I woke up and I just couldn't get this stuff out of my head. It was a familiar feeling of joy and wonderment, and one that I hadn't felt since childhood."

I was thinking it was probably James Pond just from reading this. Then I scrolled down and it was James Pond.

I'm glad you found it. I've had vague nostalgic dreams about games and then woke up and wondered whether it was actually a real game.

• Like 2

#1 is more of a puzzle game with platforming elements. AND it actually takes place in water!!!

#2 is a straight platformer with the best praise, and the Robo suit explains his new Bipedalism.

#3 is a Sonic clone. not well regarded.

... you're a fish running around like Sonic the hedgehog for god's sake. <jimmy voice> I mean come on! </jimmy voice>

Edited by Torr

Man, I loved this freakin game.... I got super good at it. I can't remember if I beat it, but I think I did. I looked at pictures of all the boards and they're ALL familiar. If I didn't beat it, I at least got to the last board.

<<edit>>

I didn't beat it.... I just watched the end of that video, and I never saw Santa at the end. I probably never knew how close I got...

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1