129 replies to this topic

#126 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,917 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Today, 5:31 AM

I just played dj31.  Here's some feedback:

• The length of the level seems right to me:  It's challenging but not too long for it to get boring or frustrating.   :thumbsup:
  • The UFO sound effect sounds better but...
    • The volume ramp from zero-to-max may be too slow.  How about skipping every other step (i.e., For i = 0 to 15 Step 2)?
    • The "left over" sound after the UFO effect (when it sticks on a note for a second), is not very appealing.  Perhaps it should just stop at a lower note.
    • Still needs the tractor-beam sound effect.
  • I would recommend making the length of the level meter (not the level) longer (preferable, if possible), or at least lower it by one row on the screen.
  • The cloud counter now goes up to 12.  How about making it go up to 50 (without changing the length of the level), so that you can treat it as "kilometers" to the Stratosphere (50 km)?  After all, everyone knows that UFOs hang around in the Stratosphere. :grin:
  • The jump mechanic seems very stable and natural. :thumbsup:

#127 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,917 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Today, 6:27 AM

Here's a made up, quick-and-dirty example.  It's just to provide an idea of what I mean, not for you to replicate it (I think your UFO sound is much better than mine).

(Do not laugh at the cheesiness of the code.  I'm not very good at IntyBASIC :dunce:)

-dZ.

#128 Steve Jones ONLINE  

Steve Jones

Dragonstomper

• 792 posts

Posted Today, 7:35 AM

I have been following this thread although unable to play roms, been away from home for two weeks, just want to say I think its great how helpful DZ has been to the process, lots of great ideas, if the game ends up having any kind of credits he should get a Special Thanks.
Nice to see this kind of support in a community that sometimes gets bogged down in silly arguments.

#129 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,917 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Today, 8:19 AM

I have been following this thread although unable to play roms, been away from home for two weeks, just want to say I think its great how helpful DZ has been to the process, lots of great ideas, if the game ends up having any kind of credits he should get a Special Thanks.
Nice to see this kind of support in a community that sometimes gets bogged down in silly arguments.

Nah, no credits for me.  This is purely Chris' game.  I am just beta testing and offering some minor feedback.  I do the same for all Intellivision game programmers, and have done so for years.

-dZ.

#130 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,950 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Today, 8:41 AM

Nah, no credits for me.  This is purely Chris' game.  I am just beta testing and offering some minor feedback.  I do the same for all Intellivision game programmers, and have done so for years.

-dZ.

And you do it very well. 👍🏻 If I was a programmer I would be thankful for your reasoned and in depth feedback.

3 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users