F18A VDP 9918A

378 replies to this topic

#351 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,629 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 10:37 PM

Oh, I did not know that.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go look at the datasheet again.

#352 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 3,144 posts

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2018 11:55 PM

Bah, why does it have to be only in *some* modes?  That just makes it easier to have bugs in both software and the hardware.

The modes where it doesn't auto-increment R14 are the 'old' modes (GM1, GM2, MC, TXT40). If it did then software relying on wrapping around within a single memory page would stop working. 

#353 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,629 posts

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2018 9:43 AM

Thanks. I did read that after I posted my objection, and it does make sense.

#354 lolof OFFLINE  

lolof

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 PM

Hello,

I would like to order a F18A for my TI-99/4A (maybe 2...).

I wrote a message through codehackcreate some times ago but had no confirmation or so that's ok. I am not sure if I am somehow in a list....

How can I know if it's ok ? Thanks very much.

Edited by lolof, Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 PM.

#355 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,398 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 PM

Hello,

I would like to order a F18A for my TI-99/4A (maybe 2...).

I wrote a message through codehackcreate some times ago but had no confirmation or so that's ok. I am not sure if I am somehow in a list....

How can I know if it's ok ? Thanks very much.

They are not available at this time, your message was added to a list of people interested and will be notified when they are available. There's a new version coming out sometime that will replace the f18a but it's not ready yet. read this forum thread for more info. 

#356 lolof OFFLINE  

lolof

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:00 PM

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will wait patiently  ;-)

#357 johndias OFFLINE  

johndias

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Please add me to the "want" list?

#358 johndias OFFLINE  

johndias

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:30 PM

#359 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,398 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:33 PM

add yourself at codehackcreate.com   

#360 broettger OFFLINE  

broettger

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2019 1:00 PM

Inquiring minds want to know if there is any progress in the last few months?

#361 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,629 posts

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2019 6:31 PM

I have a decision (posted previously), but very little time to act on it lately.  Apologizes.  I want to get the MK2 out as much as people want to get one.

#362 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 14,003 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 AM

Under the heading of putting the cart before the horse...

If/when this thing is ever released, there may be a 'few people' with holes in the back of their TI's.  For some industrious person with a 3D printer, they might be able to come up with some sort of 'universal cover patch' with the capability of holding an HDMI outlet.

#363 FarmerPotato OFFLINE  

FarmerPotato

Moonsweeper

• 354 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 PM

If/when this thing is ever released, there may be a 'few people' with holes in the back of their TI's.  For some industrious person with a 3D printer, they might be able to come up with some sort of 'universal cover patch' with the capability of holding an HDMI outlet.

I'm a laser guy.. not a 3D printing guy.. it seems a lot easier to me to  laser a rectangular  panel out of sheet acrylic, with a second layer jig that also fits snugly around whatever jack is present. Cost of material: 25 cents. Time to produce: cut dozens of them in a few minutes batch job. 

My beige is not an exact match for TI beige. Black acrylic is cheap.

This would work for new mods (or covering up unsightly holes)

I'm not going to be removing my F18A either (its super valuable and useful! never obsolete!). I will just mod another console for an F18A mk2.

#364 cbmeeks OFFLINE  

cbmeeks

Moonsweeper

• 431 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 PM

I'm a laser guy.. not a 3D printing guy.. it seems a lot easier to me to  laser a rectangular  panel out of sheet acrylic, with a second layer jig that also fits snugly around whatever jack is present. Cost of material: 25 cents. Time to produce: cut dozens of them in a few minutes batch job. 

My beige is not an exact match for TI beige. Black acrylic is cheap.

This would work for new mods (or covering up unsightly holes)

I'm not going to be removing my F18A either (its super valuable and useful! never obsolete!). I will just mod another console for an F18A mk2.

Hmm.  That's a tough call.  I might pull my F18a out and use in my Coleco ADAM.  But only after I have an MK2.

#365 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 PM

Might I recommend buying a cheap TI off Ebay just for the case?

#366 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,318 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 AM

Might I recommend buying a cheap TI off Ebay just for the case?

Especially useful idea if the machine is identified as defective to start with too--recycling at its best!

#367 cwilbar OFFLINE  

cwilbar

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 PM

Please add me to the interest list for the F18A MK2.

Thanks.

#368 Geeky OFFLINE  

Geeky

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 PM

I too am interested in the F18A MK2.

Thanks

#369 G4meBoy OFFLINE  

G4meBoy

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 PM

Matthew,

I appreciate that you're putting so much thought and fine tuning into the MK2.  When they're finally ready, please put me on your list of customers for one unit :D  

Thank you!

#370 patrickmcmichael OFFLINE  

patrickmcmichael

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:34 PM

So I've pieced together a "new" TI-99/4A after all these years. Still waiting on memory expansion and TI-PEB cards (coming very soon), but the console just arrived today. It tested out ok w/ my FinalGROM99 and speech synth. I'll test it w/ the P-Box that arrived y'day as soon as I have time. But right now I'm doing a composite to HDMI conversion (powered adapter). Both that and even just direct composite A/V hookup works, but on a 65" 4K TV...ugh...it takes "jaggies" to a whole new level. Games are tolerable but text is unbearable. Please put me on the order list for the F18A MK2! Any updates on timing? Can't wait to do mine!

#371 patrickmcmichael OFFLINE  

patrickmcmichael

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:10 PM

While I'm waiting on the F18A MK2...  With my stock 9918A text looking horrible on my 65" 4K set, I might want to pick up a really good cheap monitor to use in the interim. I've long since given away my old monitor. Having had OPA's TIM on my last TI, going back to not just 40 col but horrible clarity is hard. I'm hoping a good but cheap display will make it more tolerable in the meanwhile due to smaller screen not magnifying the flaws quite so much. Any recommendations for best, clearest display and text with stock graphics?

#372 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,318 posts

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 PM

OLD CS1 had some nice monitors for sale in the marketplace (and identified them in a thread here too). The price is right too. . .

#373 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,398 posts

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 PM

While I'm waiting on the F18A MK2...  With my stock 9918A text looking horrible on my 65" 4K set, I might want to pick up a really good cheap monitor to use in the interim. I've long since given away my old monitor. Having had OPA's TIM on my last TI, going back to not just 40 col but horrible clarity is hard. I'm hoping a good but cheap display will make it more tolerable in the meanwhile due to smaller screen not magnifying the flaws quite so much. Any recommendations for best, clearest display and text with stock graphics?

good >< cheap..

get a samsung 910mp.. they pop up on ebay from about 50-125$ ea .. I tend to buy them if they are sub 80$.. they do everything including 15khz rgb.. rf, composite,vga 

#374 patrickmcmichael OFFLINE  

patrickmcmichael

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 PM

OLD CS1 had some nice monitors for sale in the marketplace (and identified them in a thread here too). The price is right too. . .

AtariAge marketplace, or FB, or...? Didn't know link for where to check for those.

#375 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,744 posts

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 PM

I have a nice RCA TruFlat CRT that looks stunning with stock composite output.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F18A, VDP, 9918A

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users