IGNORED

Trying to figure out how to play a favorite JAMMA game at home

GoldenWheels

My buddy and I have loved U.S. Championship V'ball (made by Technos, distributed by Taito) for a long time. Not sure how we got into it, but we have played it hundreds of time in emulation. We would actually like to play the real deal now.

My first problem is I can't find a cabinet for sale....if I could I would likely just try to buy it. If somebody has one for sale...LMK.

But I know there are ways to get an arcade board and play it at home. Ideally, I'd like to get the Japanese version, which includes some story mode stuff not included in the American version.

I have not ever messed with real arcade cabinets, let alone superguns, etc. If someone could help me figure out how to play this board:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VBall-Technos-1988-Jamma-PCB-Arcade-Game-Japan/263346876699?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

...at home, and what I might be getting myself into, I would totally appreciate it.

(Hell I would even piecemeal build a cabinet if I thought I had the knowledge, as I am willing to learn and am somewhat handy)

Thanks!

While a cabinet might be more desirable , depending on what space you have, a Supergun is probably the best way to get started.

It will just be like having another console.

Some of them can come with adaptors for using an MD/Genesis controller like this one.

http://retroelectronik.com/en/supergun/145-supergun-progamer-arcade-jamma-autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html

You will probably need some sort of adaptor to make this work with a TV if there is no VGA on it but I'm sure there are others that come with composite or s-video out. You will also need a power supply. This model seems to work with switches and plugs - no soldering needed.

I actually fancy getting something like this myself.

This could of course go into a cabinet - there are self assembly cabinet kits available now. But you would then have to build a control panel. Or you could just buy a "project box" from an electrical supplier to encase it and use it like a console - though you would need a big box if you want it to hold the PCB as well.

Edited by davyK

Davy unfortunately I am so new to this I just have no idea how to get video off of that thing.

In theory, could I buy any JAMMA cabinet and play the game? Does it matter that the ROM/board is Japanese?

What you are looking for is a Supergun.

Being a Japanese board should make no difference regardless of whether you're using a cabinet or supergun. As long as the input voltages are appropriate to the board and the video output is appropriate to the monitor or TV in use, you should be fine.

• Like 1

That board has a VGA connector on one of the edges - you could use a cable to connect to a TV That has VGA in. You could use a VGA-HDMI adaptor if your TV doesn't have VGA.

There are red and white connectors too - they would give you the sound.

It looks a bit scary but that device is actually quite friendly as it has lots of connectors on it - no soldering or tech skills are required. It just looks techie because it has no casing.

You can buy one more consumer friendly as a supergun which is basically one of those boards inside a case.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

I admit that is kind of it Davy...it looks very technical and exposed boards etc make me nervous I'm gonna short it out or something! But i do think i am going to take the plunge.

For video could I just get an rgb/scart to component piece like this? As it appears the supergun has RGB/scart out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-SCART-to-Composite-COMPONENT-VIDEO-AV-TV-ADAPTER-HD-CONVERTER/222981233413?hash=item33eab79b05:g:FTMAAOSws65Tq7ux

it looks like this seller on ebay is the same as the one you linked to:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/retroinnovation?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I am more likely to go through ebay than any other venue so hope that is the case. Think this is my bday present.....I'll rig up some kind of board/cover for it, that'll be a fun project.

Does look like RGB SCART at the top edge. But VGA to component might give a better picture..looks like it has VGA out top left. I could be wrong though.

I'd contact the seller and make sure before ordering though!

I'd ask about controllers too - it seems to work native with neogeo and would require an adaptor for using something else.

Remember if you buy that JAMMA board it will be exposed as well! :)

Just a case of being careful when using them. It would be nice to get some sort of casing - again - the seller might be able to advise on that.

Also remember to ask about a power supply......

Edited by davyK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally get it all set up....everything works the first time (!) except...the controller converters I bought with the Supergun appear to be crapola. V'ball perfoms bizarrely any time they are plugged in (acts as if a button is being hit repeatedly, no auto fire is not on) and since these retroelectronik guys don't seem to speak English, I think I am SOL on support.

Gotta either try their Sega Genesis controller converters (in which I have little faith since the PS ones didn't work) or buy two neo geo sticks. And even then, I'm scared to discover it may be the supergun itself that is wired wrong somehow, and the converters are NOT to blame.

Dang, whys it gotta be so hard to get my authentic v'ball on???