IGNORED

Introducing Project PEGASUS at PRGE and RetroWorldExpo 2018...

Ted Mayer, the designer behind for the Intellivision II and III look, has joined the team and is now designing the case, cartridge and joystick for our console. The console official name is OPCODE OMNI.

Ah, damn, you should have gone for "OpcodeVision" just to stick it to that Coleco jackass!

Congrats on all your progress man!

Ah, damn, you should have gone for "OpcodeVision" just to stick it to that Coleco jackass!

Congrats on all your progress man!

Thank you! :D

I haven't been this excited and happy in a very long time.

• Like 1

Ok so I just got clarification on colecovision.dk. This replaces the previously announced or rumoured, Colecovision backward compatible Project Prometheus. I have to admit that the news of no backward compatibility sends this console from front runner to the back of the pack for me.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

Ok so I just got clarification on colecovision.dk. This replaces the previously announced or rumoured, Colecovision backward compatible Project Prometheus. I have to admit that the news of no backward compatibility sends this console from front runner to the back of the pack for me.

Yes, OMNI isn’t backward compatible with anything. We had to make the hard decision for a number of reasons. Trademark owner is very hostile, too much friction in the CV homebrew space, too many CV compatible consoles being made. It was just a never ending stream of drama that some may not be aware of, but honestly, drained my enthusiasm. I feel happier now.

It doesn’t necessarily means that we can’t release Prometheus one day, and actually having OMNI financing the tooling is a plus for that, but if that happens, it will be a bare bones CV+SGM console, as all the advanced features have been moved to OMNI. We may also release a CV module for OMNI, but there is nothing decided yet.

It might be taking a big risk here, but I rather prefer that than being in a hobby that causes me as much stress as my real world job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, OMNI isn’t backward compatible with anything. We had to make the hard decision for a number of reasons. Trademark owner is very hostile, too much friction in the CV homebrew space, too many CV compatible consoles being made. It was just a never ending stream of drama that some may not be aware of, but honestly, drained my enthusiasm. I feel happier now.

It doesn’t necessarily means that we can’t release Prometheus one day, and actually having OMNI financing the tooling is a plus for that, but if that happens, it will be a bare bones CV+SGM console, as all the advanced features have been moved to OMNI. We may also release a CV module for OMNI, but there is nothing decided yet.

It might be taking a big risk here, but I rather prefer that than being in a hobby that causes me as much stress as my real world job.

I was just about to edit my comment again as I felt it was too negative but you've already responded. Ah well. I'll just put here what I was going to change my comment to. All the best with this new project and despite my disappointment in the lack of backward compatibility, I look forward to hearing more about it.

• Like 1

I was just about to edit my comment again as I felt it was too negative but you've already responded. Ah well. I'll just put here what I was going to change my comment to. All the best with this new project and despite my disappointment in the lack of backward compatibility, I look forward to hearing more about it.

No problem, I understand and appreciate your cautious support. As I said, I am aware I am taking some risk, but man, truth is, I haven’t been this enthusiastic and happy in a long time. I hope to pick your interest again eventually, as we show more stuff. We are trying to do something special, not for mass market, but for the truly enthusiasts here. Hopefully Ted is just the first of many collaborations we are planning.

So, it looks like photocopier, but that's ok. I'm all up for unusual design.

I'd like however to know what does this thing do. I'm just a casual lurker, not familiar with your previous projects or plans. Is the pre-show embargo still on?

That is some of Ted’s original drawings for the Intellivision II line, from 1982. I posted here to give an example of Ted’s early involvement with video games.

Project Pegasus is a 8-bit video game console. It plays physical cartridges. and was created with 80’s tech and dedicated chips. Specs wise it is in line with something you could expect in late 1985.

Ed

• Like 1

While I'm a little disappointed to hear that your Coleco compatible project is dead, I'm still very excited for this new project. Your designer has quite a pedigree. It will be great to see what you guys come up with. Best of luck!

Thank you! We can’t wait to share more. :)

Project Pegasus is a 8-bit video game console. It plays physical cartridges. and was created with 80’s tech and dedicated chips. Specs wise it is in line with something you could expect in late 1985.

Sounds great, but what about software? Is it compatible with something or will rely on open source/homebrew scene?

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Averett, the man responsible for such Odyssey2 classics as K.C. Munchkin! and Krazy Chase!, Attack of the Timelord!, Pick Axe Pete!, Quest for the Rings! and more, has teamed with us to bring enhanced versions of some of his most popular games for the upcoming Opcode OMNI console. Expect to see one of those in full super 8-bit glory soon.

post-1432-0-03304300-1533430104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Opcode Games is more than thrilled to share the first conceptual image of our upcoming OMNI console, by renowned video game designer Ted Mayer.

Opcode OMNI is a brand new super 8-bit video game console and we will start showing the games soon. If you are a fan of Atari era consoles and computers, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

5304f5f1ce04eac232f43678e2757b75.jpg

• Like 2

Update: Opcode Games is more than thrilled to share the first conceptual image of our upcoming OMNI console, by renowned video game designer Ted Mayer.

Opcode OMNI is a brand new super 8-bit video game console and we will start showing the games soon. If you are a fan of Atari era consoles and computers, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

5304f5f1ce04eac232f43678e2757b75.jpg

Saw this on the facebook page last night and am extremely interested in this. Sorry I missed this thread for so long as this is something that fascinates me.

• Like 1

I think aspirations, plans, dreams, innovation and stuff is all well and good, but honestly, when I see this kind of stuff discussed like it's imminent release is just around the corner, it just makes me weary anymore. In my book, spare us the artists renderings and projected features until you have something that is in production. History has shown that the vast majority of people cannot get molds made to produce plastic boxes, let alone anything else. There's a huge difference between that and 3D renders and sketches. All these aspirational previews way, way in advance of realistic production just seems like cliche delusions of grandeur. Sorry to be a downer, but that's the climate we're in these days.

18306-full.gif

I think aspirations, plans, dreams, innovation and stuff is all well and good, but honestly, when I see this kind of stuff discussed like it's imminent release is just around the corner, it just makes me weary anymore. In my book, spare us the artists renderings and projected features until you have something that is in production. History has shown that the vast majority of people cannot get molds made to produce plastic boxes, let alone anything else. There's a huge difference between that and 3D renders and sketches. All these aspirational previews way, way in advance of realistic production just seems like cliche delusions of grandeur. Sorry to be a downer, but that's the climate we're in these days.

Were did I say it is just around the corner? I am just sharing development. You don't like it, fine, go find something else to waste your time with. We don't need your approval to when share things, really. Besides, I have a track record....

Well, we've got toy makers saying "we're not the target audience". We've got enthusiasts pooping on promising projects.

I'd rather choose encouragement and support. We are the hobby. We share the past. We contribute to the future.

Exactly, thank you. In everything there is a certain degree of uncertainty. We might found out down the line that there is only like 50 people interested, so the whole thing isn't viable. At least we tried. There is a lot of effort and hard work being put on this right now, that I can say. And it isn't like we are trying to sell something that doesn't exist yet, like a couple of classic gaming trademark holders out there. We are selling nothing, we are just showing our progress.

• Like 3

You're right. I'm sorry. I guess I'm just tired of being disappointed time and time again. I've followed so many projects that just go nowhere or end up a big nothing, it's hard to be excited anymore. I'd really like to be, but I'm suffering from crowd funding or pre-release marketing fatigue. I followed that Dreamcade Replay recently, and that was not promising much at all in actually. Even with really realistic and practical plans, it ended up being nothing more than a mini PC somebody else made with a bunch of broken emulators at the end of the day. Don't get me started on Atari BS.

Update: ...If you are a fan of Atari era consoles and computers, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised. 5304f5f1ce04eac232f43678e2757b75.jpg

I understand that one of the criticisms of the Atari7800 games library, was that there weren't enough original games and too many of them were improved versions of games already released on the 2600. I hope this won't be the same case with the Omni.

I understand that one of the criticisms of the Atari7800 games library, was that there weren't enough original games and too many of them were improved versions of games already released on the 2600. I hope this won't be the same case with the Omni.

Well, I guess that depends on what exactly we call improved versions. If we are talking about same games just with prettier graphics, I would agree. That isn't what we are doing, and I hope to have something to show soon. :)

• Like 2

I for one am a big fan of taking classic arcade games and sprucing them up a bit. Make em pretty and add a few new bells and whistles. Super Circus Atariage is a perfect example of taking a simple 2600 game and adding a perfect mix of old and new. If the Omni does games like this I'm on board for sure. I will throw out that I'd love to see a new port of Phoenix :D

Well, I guess that depends on what exactly we call improved versions. If we are talking about same games just with prettier graphics, I would agree. That isn't what we are doing, and I hope to have something to show soon. :)

I have to tell you, this year I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Sooooo much retro gaming goodness to get excited about and the Omni is high up on that list. Can't wait to hear more. If we're staying Atari focused, some games I'd love to see that were on the 2600 but not great or the 7800, which I never had would be Pengo, Galaga, Desert Falcon and/or Zaxxon, Commando, Robotron 2084, Xevious, Xenophobe. In addition, I'd love a version of 1942 or better still, 1943.

• Like 1