IGNORED

New 800xl owner

xucaen

Thank the lord you changed it in time... this could have turned into the full blown check each chip, these got cooked thread!

yeah... about that.... I started another thread... getting bad memory tests and game crashes now.. but man that picture is clear! :D

yeah... about that.... I started another thread... getting bad memory tests and game crashes now.. but man that picture is clear! :D

The RAM chips seem to be the first thing to fail when the voltage gets too high, and when they do they seem to consume a lot of power which helps protect the rest of the chips.

When an INGOT failed on me in the late 80's it only damaged the 41256 chips in a RamboXL upgrade, which was bad enough as they were fairly expensive back then. The voltage was around 8.5VDC with no load, a local TELCO tech who was a member of the local users group added a 7805 inline to the power supply cord to make it usable until I could get a replacement.

The voltage was around 8.5VDC with no load, a local TELCO tech who was a member of the local users group added a 7805 inline to the power supply cord to make it usable until I could get a replacement.

That's funny, what did he use as a heatsink? Was there a big piece of metal sticking out from your cord?

That's funny, what did he use as a heatsink? Was there a big piece of metal sticking out from your cord?

I don't remember the heatsink as being very big. I built a custom power supply that included a crowbar circuit when I got a Newell 1MB upgrade for another 800XL.