12 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger03 OFFLINE  

Ranger03

Moonsweeper

• 462 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 AM

this is what Coleco promised with the Adam

wikipedia btw

A $500 college scholarship along with each unit for use by a young child (with $125 paid for each completed year of college)

tuition costs more than that nowadays

it was also in most Compute! magazines

anyone remember?

#2 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• 5,409 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 PM

adamscholarship.jpg

The Coleco ADAM scholarship.

#3 Hannacek OFFLINE  

Hannacek

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 PM

I think the basic idea was like a mail in rebate where they assume most people won't fill out the forms and save their receipts, but the offer helps them make the sale. And then they have a bunch of terms and conditions they use to disqualify people, so they don't have to pay the rebate.

Except with this scholarship, even less people would get the money then with rebates. One would have to wait longer to collect, and there were more terms and conditions, ensuring the fewest people possible were able to get the money. 

Edited by Hannacek, Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 PM.

#4 Ranger03 OFFLINE  

Ranger03

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 PM

which is why i think the offer was a scam. shame they were never sued

#5 Hannacek OFFLINE  

Hannacek

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 AM

It's not a scam if they require you to save the receipt and fill out forms, and send in the transcript after you finished a year of college. It's a scam if they violate the terms and conditions of the offer, or if some of the terms and conditions of the offer they can not legally make. 

#6 Ranger03 OFFLINE  

Ranger03

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 462 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 PM

I think the basic idea was like a mail in rebate where they assume most people won't fill out the forms and save their receipts, but the offer helps them make the sale. And then they have a bunch of terms and conditions they use to disqualify people, so they don't have to pay the rebate.

Except with this scholarship, even less people would get the money then with rebates. One would have to wait longer to collect, and there were more terms and conditions, ensuring the fewest people possible were able to get the money. 

what other restrictions?

#7 Hannacek OFFLINE  

Hannacek

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 PM

what other restrictions?

What do you mean by "restrictions"? I think my original post clearly lays out the burdens companies place to limit the amount of people who successfully redeem these kinds of offers. I am not familiar with this specific offer, so I was commenting on similar offers I am familiar with.

Edited by Hannacek, Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 PM.

#8 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,056 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 PM

what other restrictions?

For instance, they show a nine year old kid...implying he could get the scholarship, even though he probably couldn't redeem it for ten years, until after a year of college.

#9 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,061 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 PM

Remember this well and have come across A LOT of the forms to mail back to Coleco that were never used. There was no scam here on Coleco's part, just another means used by them (and numerous other companies) to try to make the ADAM an even more attractive item to purchase. All one has to do to collect is follows the rules that were laid out... well, until things started to go south for Coleco and they eventually filed for protection under bankruptcy laws a couple years later.

As I said, numerous companies used  this method to sell their products including Parker Bros. I followed the rules they laid out and always received what was offered.

#10 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,061 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 PM

For instance, they show a nine year old kid...implying he could get the scholarship, even though he probably couldn't redeem it for ten years, until after a year of college.

And ????

So I guess Coleco knew they would be filing for bankruptcy protection a couple years later and would never have to pay up.

#11 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• 730 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 PM

Also after the bad October 1983 ADAM computer launch with technical issues, in 1984 I believe Coleco doubled the warranty on all new ADAM computers to 6 months instead of 90 days. That was a good ideal to try and gain back consumer confidence. There was a big sticker placed on the ADAM boxes mentioning the new 6 month warranty.

Edited by HDTV1080P, Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:53 PM.

#12 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,056 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 PM

And ????

So I guess Coleco knew they would be filing for bankruptcy protection a couple years later and would never have to pay up.

No, but I'm figuring they were hoping buyers would assume you could get it within the year rather than waiting ten years and Coleco was hoping the family wouldn't be organized enough or remember to cash in after ten years...or something like that. Who expects to wait ten years to cash in on something like this?

#13 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,061 posts

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:43 PM

That holds true for most, if not all companies that offer rebates.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users