IGNORED

HSC15 Round 13 - War! What is it good for... Playing Atari!

Computer War vs Wargames

You know the drill, missiles, mankind (Cactus Jack) save the Ataris from extinction, see that motivated you all :grin:

Wargames

Deteacher says "War Games is an awesome game with multiple skill levels. That alone would be enough of a challenge to last 2 weeks." Play through the skill levels from the default?

war_games.png

Computer War

trbb says "Always one of my pet favourites and now you all get to play it! Blast the incoming missiles first person stylee. Think this one has some great music too" :music: NOTES: You can press [select] to rotate a block of squares to match the pattern block. [select[ also drops back to the map screen when in battle. It's game over if the NORAD HQ red dot is destroyed.

computer_war.pngcomputer_war_disk_4.gif

Downloads Fandal: War Games and Computer War

Transdisk 4.2 XT Menu of tape version of Computer War (and some other games) Transdisk 4.2 XT Menu - Computer War and others.ATR

Info Atarimania: War Games and Computer War

Full Manual for WarGames on bombjack.org Thanks carlsson :thumbsup:

my feeble hints on Post #15 !

Round ends Sunday the hmmth of thingemy :P29th July 10am UK time

More info will be added later ;) [it has]

Edited by therealbountybob
War Games Manual Proper Link!

According to Wargames, the only way to win is not to play.

Therefore, I am sitting this round out and I expect a full 12 points for being the winner.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Just kidding, I'll get to it eventually.

I did try Computer War - my first score is 1848.

post-6856-0-49822200-1531709011.jpg

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3

Ok, some early scores as well:

Computer War - 212 pts

WarGames (skill 1) - 27,560,000 pts

only a puny 27 million :-D and I thought it was these ere modern games that had crazy scoring! I always felt that our "10,000 and you've earned an extra life" mantra was hard earned and well deserved :)

Looking forward to playing these two, I've been forcing myself to finish programming my abbuc game Ski-iT but it's hard going, that last 10% and all :-o doesn't help that it's about 30 degrees here and we haven't seen any rain for a month plus the power went off this morning and is going off on Thursday for something or other too :)

Don't be shy EVERYONE, JUST POST A SCORE, SCREENSHOTS OPTIONAL :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Actually, I'm experiencing a bit of technical issues with Computer War. Both the version from Fandal, and three other versions on my SD card, randomly crashes in the first person shooter part. Not always, but frequently enough. I gotta try it in Altirra emulation (130XE PAL) to verify if it again is my machine that is having trouble or if the game itself really doesn't run well on said hardware.

Edited by carlsson

Actually, I'm experiencing a bit of technical issues with Computer War. Both the version from Fandal, and three other versions on my SD card, randomly crashes in the first person shooter part. Not always, but frequently enough. I gotta try it in Altirra emulation (130XE PAL) to verify if it again is my machine that is having trouble or if the game itself really doesn't run well on said hardware.

Try those on Atarionline.pl and homesoft if they are no good I can upload my menu disk image to try :)

Nope, I tried every single version from Atarionline as well as Homesoft. I don't know how many are the same file, but I'm up to 18 versions. At best I can get 5-6 minutes of play time before it freezes. I wonder if it has anything to do with SD2IEC. I might consider reflashing my Atarimax cartridge now that I'm done playing AtariBlast! for this time around, and see if I'm having similar issues from that one. Of course I could try to learn how to write a floppy disk from an ATR file and see if booting from floppy disk makes any difference.

It reminds me about River Rescue which I also never got to work properly on my 130XE, but somehow I got it to play on my 800. Both River Rescue and Computer War are Thorn EMI titles. Perhaps I should try Submarine Commander and Soccer to see if my Atari is compatible with Thorn EMI games, as nearly everything else I throw at it is playable sooner or later.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Computer War I was right about the music, a recent Antic Interview was with the guy who worked there and did a lot of their music. 1027 an appropriately Atari score just before I wiped out mankind, probably the 1027 would survive and the reaction would have hardened and fixced the print head properly :-D

Carlsson / anyone having issues - I've imaged my transdisked tape version of Computer War - added to 1st post. (This works on my 130XE) :)

First go on War Games (not read the instructions!)

Counterstrike Averted!

Strike Points 220k

6 Bases Saved 6m

7 Cities Saved 21m

Total Score 27,220,000

Now to read the instructions!!

Found a copy of the Coleco system's Instructions for War Games on gamesdatabase.org (pdf) also added to 1st post

• Like 1

Now to read the instructions!!

Found a copy of the Coleco system's Instructions for War Games on gamesdatabase.org (pdf) also added to 1st post

That helped, there's some hints on page 6/7 - in our version of War Games hold in fire and push in the direction of the weapon you want to activate, then aim it on the white enemy (sort of missile command style). To un-arm hold fire and move to the centre gap on the icon display . [edit: Looks like you can point them at the targets and return to the main map. You can pull the stick again to select another plane etc, not sure if you can control 2 at once or 2 types e.g. plane and sub at once?] Perhaps deteacher can give a few more hints?!

Counterstrike Averted!

Strike Points 640k

14 Bases Saved 14m

14 Cities Saved 42m

Total Score 56,640,000

:)

I was just about to claim success, but after 9 minutes of playing the game froze again. I had a bit over 800 pts at the time.

I'll try to put a version of Computer War on my Atari Max cartridge, in case it is the SIO2SD that is screwing something up. Unfortunately I've never got the SIO2SD to work on my Atari 800, otherwise I would try it there.

Ok, since my subtle hint where to find the manual to War Games may have been overlooked, I'll post a direct deep link after all:

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/games/WarGames_Defense_Manual.pdf

Sorry yes that's much better - I've added this to the first post thankyou :thumbsup:

Improved on Computer War 2,056 - perhaps not as good as I remembered but it's satisfying when you them!

War Games, no improvement so now I need to read the proper manual :D

That helped, there's some hints on page 6/7 - in our version of War Games hold in fire and push in the direction of the weapon you want to activate, then aim it on the white enemy (sort of missile command style). To un-arm hold fire and move to the centre gap on the icon display . [edit: Looks like you can point them at the targets and return to the main map. You can pull the stick again to select another plane etc, not sure if you can control 2 at once or 2 types e.g. plane and sub at once?] Perhaps deteacher can give a few more hints?!

Counterstrike Averted!

Strike Points 640k

14 Bases Saved 14m

14 Cities Saved 42m

Total Score 56,640,000

Here's a tip for you all: Once you've sent a jet or a sub after an enemy, go back to the National Map. You don't have to wait for the enemy to be neutralized before leaving the screen. This is particularly helpful on the harder skill levels. Learn how to get in and out of a given sector as quickly as possible.

Here are a couple more scores from me:

Skill 3: 180,060,000

Skill 4: 252,460,000

post-9712-0-23330300-1532131694.png post-9712-0-06839300-1532131704.png

• Like 2

If only I knew how to put an ATR image onto a physical floppy disk... I feel like a total newbie regarding this, and I've tried a half dozen different DOS and dedicated programs for disk copying without success.

I'm sure we can help here - what system have you got for linking the PC to the Atari - I use APE ,either way you would need to do this, in this order:

1. On APE (or the PC Atari software) Mount [Drive 2 ]with the source (game) disk *

2. Then boot the Atari [Drive 1] with your favourite disk copier (any should do but mycopyr2.1 or sectorcopy1.5 are good single pass copiers)

3. Swap the disk in [Drive 1] to the blank destination disk!

4. Set copier to copy from drive 2 to drive 1 and format it. (If you don't have the option to format it do it first manually.)

*Mycopyr for example will not detect the PC drive if it's not mounted first. I think the copiers scan the drives when they start so If you tried to boot one from a mounted drive 1, then, unmount it and then power on the real drive it would not work. (There may be one that works this way or even DOS might)

You can find mycopy2.1 and sectorcopy1.5 and tons of other utilities on the Holmes site. You will obviously need to get one of the copiers onto a real disk first so you might use DOS option "J" to do the copy.

Seson 15 Current Standings Updated

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

Cw 4350. Very annoying i had one base left on the 6 base round and i was still at defcon 5. If you lose that last base you dont go to defcon 4 its just game over!

Edit on this, its if you lose NORAD its game over, if the lose the last base you move on to the next level

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

Cw 4350. Very annoying i had one base left on the 6 base round and i was still at defcon 5. If you lose that last base you dont go to defcon 4 its just game over!

That's a great score McKong :thumbsup: Wonder if that's the last level, maybe the game has an ending :ponder:

I've just read the Computer War manual as I couldn't match a block of squares and thought you could rotate them (probably not needed on the first round)... you can...

PRESS SELECT to rotate a block

Select also drops back to the map at any time