IGNORED

Retrokidz video mod and RF

Charlie_

I have the older Retrokidz composite video mod from about 2005 (maybe) in two of my 5200 systems.

One is even the 1st release that has some sort of mistake in the design....

I noticed after installing this mod the RF output is terrible. It is no big deal as obviously one would use the composite anyway.

However I do enjoy using the VCS adapter and luckily that shows up better than the 5200 output.

I am curious, if anyone else using this particular video mod noticed the same thing?

The RF output for 5200 games is very noisy after installing this mod?

I never knew about this mod. But then I would have only had my 5200 for a little bit at that time and I'm sure I was still using a CRT then. did this still allow the VCS adapter to work if you had the other mods in place on your 4 port unit I wonder? How did this mod work exactly? I'm guessing you remove the GTIA and it is soldered or plugged into a socket on the top half of the board? What outputs do you have Comp, S-vid, and Audio?

I'm keeping one eye out for a new readily available video mod as well. I'm hoping for something fairly easy to install.

I'm just starting to really 'get into' the 5200 now, so I'm not up-to-speed on everything that's out there. My hopes are for something with an output that I can easily convert to HDMI. Bringing the 5200 into current standards would really rejuvenate it's popularity.

Well that is basically what I'm doing with my 5200 and 7800. I was using Bryan's UAV to provide an s-video output and in turn putting that through an upscaler to HDMI out. It adds about 4frams of lag on average but I got used to it after 6+ years of using this setup.

Sadly Bryan doesn't have any UAVs on hand and I believe we now have to wait for the next revision of it before we have a solution in place.

I believe similar to the 2600, that a composite mod exists that doesn't really require any special PCB designs, but I've not looked into it myself. My personal 5200 actually has an older Electronic Sentimentalities mod board in it as that has always provided me with excellent results but sadly that also isn't available currently that I'm aware of.

5200 really looks good through s-video too I have to say.

I have that same kit in two of my four-port 5200 consoles, and I also eliminated the switchbox with a power mod, so I no longer use the RF output. I use my 5200s exclusively with CRTs, and the output looks pretty nice, although I'm looking forward to seeing Bryan's new UAV when it's available (I have a third four-port console that's waiting for it).

For both of my upgraded 5200s, I bought a new N64 A/V cable with S-Video and installed it in the console in place of the original RF cable, so there was no need to drill any holes or mount any plugs in the case. Makes it easy to upgrade the A/V later, or even restore it back to the original factory configuration if I need to.

Hmmmm, I could easy convert that for under 20 Bux with << one of these >>. ;-)

I would be leary of that model. I've not used it myself, but it doesn't seem to require any separate power. so I don't think that is an upscaler and strictly just a converter. Unless your TV will accept an 240 type signal on HDMI that might not work for you at all. All three of the HDTVs I've used in my setup over the years would only take a 480p and above signal through HDMI. The converter I use is more expensive but it has been excellent. However the converter I use, while it will let me switch between the composite and s-video manually and also allows changing between 720p and 1080p plus 50hz and 60hz, it does NOT compensate for aspect ratio. As a result, it always outputs a stretched 16:9 image. My TV has to shrink that down further so I can get a 4:3 aspect proper so that is something to be aware of.

This is the one I use..but again it isn't the cheapest but I like it

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9994

• Like 1

I would be leary of that model. I've not used it myself, but it doesn't seem to require any separate power. so I don't think that is an upscaler and strictly just a converter.

This is the one I use..but again it isn't the cheapest but I like it

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9994

Good advice. I'll re-visit this if/when a new mod becomes available. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I never knew about this mod. But then I would have only had my 5200 for a little bit at that time and I'm sure I was still using a CRT then. did this still allow the VCS adapter to work if you had the other mods in place on your 4 port unit I wonder? How did this mod work exactly? I'm guessing you remove the GTIA and it is soldered or plugged into a socket on the top half of the board? What outputs do you have Comp, S-vid, and Audio?

Yes, the GTIA is plugged in a socket under the mod board. It does not allow pass through of the VCS adapters video. I wish it did.

I just got this late model 4 port from craigslist that has the * in the serial number. So it allows the use of the VCS adapter.

That's my favorite way to play VCS games these days!

not the best picture....

post-322-0-89389200-1532112637_thumb.jpg

Was just curious. I'm not aware of any video mods really that gives true s-video and composite that is properly attenuated that doesn't require killing the video from the VCS adapter in the process.

+1 on this. That was one of the topics big at the time that I installed my Electronic Sentimentalities kit a few years ago.