IGNORED

8bitdo DIY controller conversion kits

derFunkenstein

A couple weeks back, 8bitdo announced their DIY mod kits for SNES, NES, and Genesis. I took the plunge on a pair of them, one for the NES Classic controller and one for the SNES Classic controller. I also bought an 8bitdo Retro Receiver for NES classic on Amazon. You can get them on 8bitdo's shop. Hopefully soon they'll be available from Amazon so as to save on shipping.

I like it. A lot. There are some minor complaints: you can't plug in a regular micro USB cable; it comes with this little barrel connector built into an LED and a USB-to-barrel cable that's about a foot long if you're lucky. It's good enough for me, but it's definitely no-frills. The instructions in the box are well-written and concise. I was able to pair the NES controller with the retro receiver right away. The SNES controller is paired with my iMac.

My plan now is to order a Genesis one (they're back in stock) and stick it in a Hyperkin GN6 for Genesis that I have laying around. That controller is perfectly interchangeable with the original Sega 6-button controller, so it should work out fine. Hopefully one day soon they'll do something similar for the Saturn.

• Like 2

Quick question @derFunkenstein - when placing the charging port in the NES controller, how did you orient it so as to not put stress on the ribbon cable?

It only fit one way for me. I'd have to take it apart again to take a picture, but the ribbon basically wraps around. I couldn't get it to stay in place turned 180 degrees.

So I've had these things for a week now and I'm totally in love. The Genesis one is in stock now, so I'm ordering one of those and I plan to use it with my Mac. Can't wait til it gets here!

• 2 weeks later...

It only fit one way for me. I'd have to take it apart again to take a picture, but the ribbon basically wraps around. I couldn't get it to stay in place turned 180 degrees.

So I've had these things for a week now and I'm totally in love. The Genesis one is in stock now, so I'm ordering one of those and I plan to use it with my Mac. Can't wait til it gets here!

Any update on this, derFunkenstein? Really curious to know if it all fits fine in the GN6 clone controller.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this, derFunkenstein? Really curious to know if it all fits fine in the GN6 clone controller.

I'm sorry, I totally forgot to update this thread. GN6 is a go. Works great with the 8bitdo DIY Mega Drive mod. Paired to the 8bitdo Retro Receiver for NES Classic, it plays my Genesis games although I did have to remap it in RetroArch. .

Edited by derFunkenstein