IGNORED

Are these Atari 1200 keyboards for sale on Ebay?

Omega-TI

I believe I read these exact parts were in Radio Shack stores at some point before. As evidenced by the Radio Shack name on the tags, but yes definitely Mitsumi 1200XL keyboards.

They were, along with TI99/4 keyboards. I wish I had purchased them in bulk when they used to be in the stores. Along with all those $50 vectrex systems at other stores.

• Like 3

For me shipping would only be $15 which will probably be a lot less than the winning bid will be. I'm like 90% sure this is going to go higher than I'm willing to pay, I don't need them, unless I could get them relatively inexpensively for back-ups. If anyone here like Brentarian needs them for immediate use, I won't bother, no need to drive the price up amongst ourselves here, I hope someone gets them for cheaper than they have been going for, I've been seeing them sell on ebay for around $100 a piece.

I just bought one off eBay for $50 with free shipping last month. I bought it as a spare. Aside from finding these Radio Shack labeled 1200XL keyboards, there are no more to be had unless you want to cannibalize one, but that takes a serial number out of the system. I guess it was inevitable. I think I'm about to sell two of my 1200XLs soon, then I'll be down to five, plus my spare parts to include a few motherboards and keyboards.

Wow, these are getting pricey huh? That sucks. A fellow AtariAge member sold me a spare like this last summer for my latest 1200XL that had a missing key. He'd bought decades ago for next to nothing and gave it to me for $10 shipped. Other folks here on the forums have helped over the years similarly with reasonably-priced chips, spare parts and of course the ever-present knowledge and general support. It's what makes the forum great. :)

• Like 2

Wow, these are getting pricey huh? That sucks. A fellow AtariAge member sold me a spare like this last summer for my latest 1200XL that had a missing key. He'd bought decades ago for next to nothing and gave it to me for $10 shipped. Other folks here on the forums have helped over the years similarly with reasonably-priced chips, spare parts and of course the ever-present knowledge and general support. It's what makes the forum great. :)

I was gifted with an apparent flood "survivor" keyboard ( and case) I offered to buy (he was going to toss it) that I restored, and later the same person (also an Atari Age member) then surprises me by sending me a mint condition keyboard (except of course for needing the usual pressure-pad fix) when he found out I had another 1200XL (mobo only) in need of a keyboard. Great guy, and great community, Aye? Otherwise I'd be scrambling for these two keyboards and paying the premium price!

Edited by Gunstar

Don't B&C and Best have keyboards?

I have lots of 1200xl keyboards, if not.

Bob

I'm pretty sure I checked with Best E and they are sold out, like they are now with most everything 1200XL related. I think at the time B&C still had them, but were selling them for about a $100, IIRC. I don't know if they have any more now thought, I haven't checked since I was gifted a couple of keyboards. But if you have lots, I'll be interested in a back-up or two, eventually, if you still have them when I would have the money.

But if you have a bunch, you're sitting on a potential ebay gold mine, they are getting rare in the wild, just like 1200's themselves. I still need another case myself, else I'll eventually build a custom one for one of my mobo's, I kinda like the idea of building a wooden case for it out of a fine wood like cherry or something though...so I really haven't been looking, and empty cases are rare, so buying another 1200XL means still having an extra mobo without a case!

This viscous cycle started because I bought two populated back-up mobo's from Best Electronics before they sold out, and since decided to complete them instead of saving the mobo's for back-ups. :D So currently I have 3 1200XL's but one is only a keyboard and mobo, being gifted one case and two keyboards.

Edited by Gunstar

these keyboards will continue to pop up... tandy radio shack purchased a surplus of them and it was a decent sized lot in the 10's of thousands. The price on the packet is what it sold at when clearing them out. Radio Shack/ Tandy Corp had a habit of then selling the surplus of their surplus lots to discounters and other franchises once the space was needed in the mail order/parts wharehouses... but towards the end much of the stuff sat in those places till the doors closed and where auctioned in lots or sold the contents with the structures. Crazy Crazy business. Many of the franchise owners got a good deal of this stuff as well.

• Like 2

t... tandy radio shack purchased a surplus of them and it was a decent sized lot in the 10's of thousands.

I assumed that these were a third party product, not real official 1200XL keyboards. It makes sense, though, that there would have been hardware stock sitting left over when the production of the machines was shut down.

19 bids already up to $77. People are showing their hand too early. With five days left, early bids are just running up the total. If you wait until the last few seconds, you might get it cheaper as no one knows five days ahead of time how high you are willing to go (eBay 101).

Edited by ACML
  • Like 3