IGNORED

S video or RGB Scart for Atari Jaguar

shadowman01

Not sure if a new thread was needed, so I'm bumping this one.

I'm getting a RGB Scart cable from Retro Gaming Cables.

Regarding sync, I asked them which Scart cable I should buy.

Obviously I want the best possible IQ to go through my OSSC.

To my surprise, RGC answered this:

"I would recommend the non CSYNC version."

Huh???

Isn't CSYNC always better as long as the console is CSYNC capable (and the Jag is)?

I'm super confused now, I was pretty sure CSYNC was always the better option.

What you guys say?

I have one of the RetroGamingCables "c-sync" Jaguar cables. The cable uses composite video into LM1881 sync stripper, then csync from LM1881 is sent down the cable to OSSC.

Here is what happens to my OSSC. It works great for hours and hours and then I get wavy lines. I told Retro Gaming Cables about it. I've tried two different consoles and various games. Same issue occurs. I have alternate SCART cable being sent this week to try. One from RetroAccess and one from Best Games which sells the thick Atari brand cable. Hopefully I can try those this weekend.

Anyone else try the Atari brand scart cable to OSSC?

I have one of the RetroGamingCables "c-sync" Jaguar cables. The cable uses composite video into LM1881 sync stripper, then csync from LM1881 is sent down the cable to OSSC.

Here is what happens to my OSSC. It works great for hours and hours and then I get wavy lines. I told Retro Gaming Cables about it. I've tried two different consoles and various games. Same issue occurs. I have alternate SCART cable being sent this week to try. One from RetroAccess and one from Best Games which sells the thick Atari brand cable. Hopefully I can try those this weekend.

Hmm...I actually have a RetroGamingCable C-sync Jag cable on its way to me that I purchased last week. Guess I will have to try this as well since I also plan to use it through the OSSC. I currently am using a modified SNES scart cable from it and it seems to work without any wavy line issues, but does have severe buzz from the audio.

Hmm...I actually have a RetroGamingCable C-sync Jag cable on its way to me that I purchased last week. Guess I will have to try this as well since I also plan to use it through the OSSC. I currently am using a modified SNES scart cable from it and it seems to work without any wavy line issues, but does have severe buzz from the audio.

No buzz on the RetroGamingCable "c-sync" cable, so consider that fixed. If you only play for an hour, then the cable won't be an issue either. It just happens during long play sessions.

Fix is to hit pause, unplug/plug in cable or turn off/on OSSC and the issue is gone for next bit of time.

My OSSC is using .82a

So that would indicate that the OSSC is the fault in this and not really the cable?

Instead of turning the the OSSC on and off...what happens if you press another input button and then go back to SCART input? I've found for instance that when my OSSC first powers on that my component inputs are a tad noisy. If I just press the other input button to something else and back to component input the issue is cleared up and it looks crisp and sharp.

I tried a couple of cables from retro gaming cables before I got my official Atari cable.

One of them had a buzzing sound through the OSSC. The other was fine with the OSSC but wouldn't 'latch' with my Hydra scart switch. The Hydra just wouldn't detect it, so I couldn't use it with my CRT monitor.

The official cable is fine. Picture is stellar, sound is clean, no issues with OSSC and the Hydra detects it fine.

Retro Access (US)

Uses csync to sync the image, has a 680 Ohm resistor and 220 uf capacitor on the sync line (PIN 5B)
https://retro-access.com/collections/atari-jaguar-cables/products/atari-jaguar-rgb-scart-cable-with-dedicated-connector-hood

Jaguar connector only goes on one way :)

Wired for European SCART (OSSC) or JP21 (XRGB) depending on which one you buy

Retro Gaming Cables (UK)

Takes sync over composite video from pin 11B and routes this through an LM1811 sync separator and this is attenuated on the output with a 470R resistor.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ATARI-JAGUAR-RGB-SCART-CABLE-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC?search=jaguar

Jaguar connector labeled Top, possible to plug in the wrong way :(

My cable worked great most of the time, but gave wavy lines sometimes.

Wired for European SCART (OSSC)

Best Electronics (US)

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/
Atari brand Jaguar RGB cable = uses composite video from pin 11B for Sync

Internal wiring on the SCART connector side had bad solder job and the thin internal wires make it worse. They are under a lot on tension due to thick wire jacket, hence they are prone to disconnecting. Cut off SCART connector and put a new one on, works much better now. Jaguar connector only goes on one way :)

Wired for European SCART (OSSC)

post-27883-0-57367100-1544319896.png

Got my Retro Gaming Cable for the Jag yesterday. I love the image quality this cable puts out through the OSSC. Plus no buzzing audio so I can finally set a proper profile for the Jag with the audio volume bumped up to make it more in line volume wise with the rest of my consoles. I left it running with Wolfenstein playing on its own in demo mode for about 5 hours last night. The image never changed and was still as sharp as when I first turned it on.

Could it be your jaguar causing the wavy video after being on for so much time?

But I do have something else funky to report that is totally my fault but interesting all the same...will create a new thread on it.

I finally got the wavvy lines with the Atari brand RGB cable. It took 8 days. Unplug / plug in of cable "fixed" the issue.

Switching now to Retro Access RGB cable and see what it does.

This could be due to SCART being a bit of a behemoth of a connector at the TV end. I thought I had a bug/fault when I lost an entire audio channel, turned out that the official Atari SCART cable I used had managed to partly disconnect, so one of the audio channels wasn't connected. Especially if unplug and replug solves the issue, I'd say that's a bad connection between the SCART plug and socket of your TV.

Also, always make sure to plug it into the RGB SCART socket if the TV has multiple, as a cost saving some TVs with multiple SCART holes don't always support RGB on all of their scart holes. They normally have some small icon to indicate this, or deets in the manuals

I finally started to see some wavy like lines on the edges of graphics but only through the VGA input. Simply pushing another input on the OSSC and then back again cleared it up. But I've never seen any wavy lines etc from the scart RGB input side nor the component input side.