IGNORED

Consoles that make owning other consoles redunant

What are consoles that (in your opinion) make owning other similar consoles of the era (or current) redundant? Here is my take on a few:

-Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems.

Strongly disagree on this one. While there are more games on both Genesis and SNES that are probably worth your time, they don't invalidate the Turbo.

• Like 2

Clearly you didn't read the half dozen posts I made where I said that I have no problem with people downloading roms - only with them pretending they are legally entitled to.

A distinction without a difference really, a cop out even.

But anyway it's alright... Time to move on.

I have more problems with consoles that aren't redundant ENOUGH. Can't get rid of my GameCube, because the Wii-U doesn't support it or the GB Player. Can't get rid of Super Game Boy because the GB player only has basic support for enhanced DMG titles. Can't get rid of my Xbox 360 because... well, rock band, and that's it.

The modern BC mess has made me glad I don't have any Sony stuff after the PS2.

• Like 3

What are consoles that (in your opinion) make owning other similar consoles of the era (or current) redundant? Here is my take on a few:

-Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems.

-Having a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox makes owning a Dreamcast redundant. Most of the best titles from the DC were ported to those later systems.

-Having a Wii makes the Gamecube redundant, backwards compatible.

-Having a Gameboy advance makes the Gameboy Color and Gameboy redundant because of backwards compatibility

Thoughts?! What did I miss or get wrong in your opinion?

I'm sure others pointed this out but you started it.

- That's pure bs and you know it, a lot of good unique to the system titles stayed on the TG16, but more so really the PC Engine.

- Again no, the Dreamcast had a few games ported sure, but there are some really solid releases, enough really, either that stayed home or were horribly ported to PC etc that levels it out

- You're wrong, sorry but no. The Wii is a sorry ass sub for the Gamecube. GC can look better with the right cable, GC also has GB Player which opens up 99% of the GB-C-A library too the Wii can't do.

- Nope, wrong again. It wasn't 100% backwards, mostly sure, but some games won't work due to core bugs in the GBA design and those who need the form factor (like light games, Kirby tilt n tumble) that can't work

I removed it, but the PS3 vs PS1 is opinion. There are games, good ones that have problem with the emulation on there. Also if you have the combo unit the PSOne has a no display quality LCD that is excellent and Sony made a battery so it could be portable too so there are good reasons it's not pointless for some.

I would say that the Wii is pointless if you have a WiiU isn't it? It dual boots into Wii mode, can run all the wii games in wii mode, and you can get the adapter for it to access memory cards and GC controllers for it, so if you just wanted to have Wii games and them running through HDMI that should do the trick.

I think that as long as you have a special place in your heart for a system it's never redundant. If you grew up with a Master System first and later a Sega Genesis, or maybe a GameCube first and later a Wii, then it's totally fine to have both; since they each have a personal significance to you beyond what games can be played on them. It's the memories attached to the consoles you loved over the years that matter most of all. :)

• Like 3

I think that as long as you have a special place in your heart for a system it's never redundant. If you grew up with a Master System first and later a Sega Genesis, or maybe a GameCube first and later a Wii, then it's totally fine to have both; since they each have a personal significance to you beyond what games can be played on them. It's the memories attached to the consoles you loved over the years that matter most of all. :)

Indeed. It's for this reason that, even though modern NES clones have FC connectors on them, I still want to use a converter in the NES slot. It just feels "right" because that's how I did it way back when.

• Like 2

Yes I would agree to that. That's why I kept +90% of all my Apple II material. That and my TRS-80 Pocket Computer stuff.

While things like the Atari 400/800, C64, Intv, VCS, and CV also have personal meaning to me, I have switched to emulation because of reliability and versatility. It helps keep my sanity. It would be one depressing moment after another after another to deal with degrading hardware over the years. And I would just get frustrated (despite being an expert) at the constant maintenance of cleaning contacts and adjusting analog video devices. And especially constant setup and teardown and transport. I travel a lot. So, stability and convenience is important to me.

When I got Altirra running (Our New Premier Demonstration Emulator) it's very easy to forget I'm on a PC. The modern image manipulation tools on both Atari and Apple feel like natural extensions of the original OS'es from back in the day. Add that they are capacious, fast, and versatile.

PC has a special place in my heart because it was the one single platform that felt like an extension and continuation of the Apple II. When I got into the PC platform there were minimal or no custom chips, unlike the recent 16/32 bit offerings from Atari and Commodore which were packed with custom bus arbitrators, blitters, combo graphics-DMA-sound-controller interfaces, and more. That means it was just RAM + CPU + Software. Essentially bare metal. The few custom chips the PC had were in the graphics and sound department, but all were widespread and all of them adhered to established standards - so they were interchangeable. One PC was like the next, varying mostly in speed & storage and little else.

-Having a Genesis makes owning a Master System Redundant, you can play the whole library on a Genesis with a power base converter or on an everdrive

-Having a Saturn/PS1 makes owning a 3DO redundant. Pretty much all the good 3DO games are on Saturn or PS1

-Having a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox makes owning a Dreamcast redundant. Most of the best titles from the DC were ported to those later systems.

-Having a PS3 makes the PS1 redundant. All models play PS1 games quite well.

-Having a Wii makes the Gamecube redundant, backwards compatible.

-Having and Xbox one makes the Xbox 360 and Xbox redundant, the system is ever increasingly backwards compatible.

-Having a Gameboy advance makes the Gameboy Color and Gameboy redundant because of backwards compatibility

-Having a New 3DS makes having a 3DS, DS redundant because of backwards compatibility

Thoughts?! What did I miss or get wrong in your opinion?

Cool Thread!

Don't some of the Master System games require the Master System to function properly? I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced very much of the Library yet.

As for having systems that have backwards compatibility... I disagree and prefer to play them on their unique and respective systems for optimal compatibility, sound, graphics, and overall experience. As for some systems having "better ports", I agree and disagree... as I prefer to have both for their unique experiences if I enjoy the game enough otherwise I'll own the optimal port. Street Fighter II for both the Genny and SNES for example... both are worth having in my opinion.

PC has a special place in my heart because it was the one single platform that felt like an extension and continuation of the Apple II. When I got into the PC platform there were minimal or no custom chips, unlike the recent 16/32 bit offerings from Atari and Commodore which were packed with custom bus arbitrators, blitters, combo graphics-DMA-sound-controller interfaces, and more.[...]

Huh. I think maybe I'm Bizarro Keatah.

Computers that have extra bits of clever silicon like the Atari 8-bits had, hold a special place in my heart. I mourned a bit when PCs took over, because they were so homogeneous, unlike most of the other computers of my youth. (yes PCs are also kick ass tools, in no small part due to being homogeneous. They're just less cool to me.)

Whatever gets you through the night :thumbsup:

On the original topic, I don't think there are very many consoles that perfectly replace another. OP examples of GBA>GBC>GB and Wii>Gamecube work for me, but the later one isn't true for all models. Nintendo eventually removed the GC ports from the Wii.

To some extent the Analogue Super NT, NT Mini, and RetroUSB AVS make the original NES and SNES redundant.

Some may argue it loses analog output and maybe have some lingering compatibility bug, but they are high quality lag-free clones with HDMI output. If I am not mistaken they may even be more power efficient than the originals for the same task.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 2

Huh. I think maybe I'm Bizarro Keatah.

Computers that have extra bits of clever silicon like the Atari 8-bits had, hold a special place in my heart. I mourned a bit when PCs took over, because they were so homogeneous, unlike most of the other computers of my youth. (yes PCs are also kick ass tools, in no small part due to being homogeneous. They're just less cool to me.)

Whatever gets you through the night :thumbsup:

Yes. I'll buy into that despite what I just said a few posts back.

I personally enjoy the likes of the C64 and 400/800 because of their custom chippery. In the early days the clever bits o'silicon complemented the main CPU nicely and truly added functionality & personality.

I feel that custom chipsets became a liability when processors started making significant gains in speed. I would arbitrarily guess this liability became visible around speeds of 20-30MHz more or less. A more accurate gauge might be when add-on accelerator cards started having specialized hi-speed PALs and GALs to interface with the slower buses on the mainboard.

An engineer just couldn't drop in a new processor. The whole system had to be re-designed, or if it stayed the same the faster processor would need significant support from those hi-speed interfaces.

It was nice to see the CPU decoupled from the mainboard with the advent of Intel's DX2 series processors. But that's for another topic.

• Like 1