IGNORED

Consoles that make owning other consoles redunant

You missed that having a Wii U renders the Wii obsolete, as it plays Wii's full catalog & even uses its peripherals.

THAT'S a pretty big and obvious one right there, yet you were the only person to say it. :) Granted it doesn't play GC, but that's GC. The Wii U is essentially a full blown Wii with sensor bar, waggle, and all.

• Like 2

You missed that having a Wii U renders the Wii obsolete, as it plays Wii's full catalog & even uses its peripherals.

Ah, but it's missing an important element ...

THAT'S a pretty big and obvious one right there, yet you were the only person to say it. :) Granted it doesn't play GC, but that's GC. The Wii U is essentially a full blown Wii with sensor bar, waggle, and all.

The proper way to do this is to have a Wii U for Wii stuff (including the downloads) and a GameCube for Wavebird fun, Gamecube games, and the GameBoy Player!

That's what I have hooked up. GameCube still works pretty well so long as you have the component cables.

• Like 1

I have a big one not on the original list.

Wii-U is the best way to play Wii games, making Wii redundant.

ahem

• Like 1

Well, you COULD have a wii u and a gamecube, and so not need a wii.

I personally need my cube, because game boy player, which Wii won't use. Plus hd, granted only early GameCube had the port.

Ahem...Yeah it has a gameboy player[emoji847] I ordered a refurbished GameCube with Digital Port direct from Nintendo back in 2005. They charged me $45. I then called them back and ordered the component cord for $30. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Little did I know. I just wanted to play Twilight Princess. It still looks the same as the Wii U to me. Edited by adamchevy

And not all the Wii played GC too, around 4-5 years into it they cut out that support so any 'family edition' and later models like the no-net using mini system were effectively doorstops if you had a WiiU. Wii sold the most, but by far the most useless NIntendo console as far as useful value if you have other devices. The Cube can hang in because of the GBP and superior output with better cables too, and the WiiU has its games the Switch hasn't consumed or other consoles and it dual boots Wii.

Previous consoles didn't kill the other, and you'd have to get into handheld to kind of pick a loser and the closest would be the GBC as many games still ran in b&w mode and then the GBA minus the micro ran all 99.9% of games too.

Generate radiation and buzz?

Yes! But it's done it so well for 35 years! :D

It's just part of the charm. And I'm working on the assumption that the radiation I absorbed from it as a child was responsible for my later-discovered mutant superpowers. So it's got that going for it, too.

• Like 2

Yes! But it's done it so well for 35 years! :D

It's just part of the charm. And I'm working on the assumption that the radiation I absorbed from it as a child was responsible for my later-discovered mutant superpowers. So it's got that going for it, too.

Like what?

A slightly heightened sense of smell, just so you can sense BS a little easier? I've got that too, and with a little toddler in the house still in diapers I actually would trade it back in. May come in handy though once the little one gets to be teen.

• Like 2

Having any other post-1983 system makes a Casio PV-1000 redundant. All the games are arcade ports which have better versions on other systems.

Ok. There was also a pachinko game, but you could probably buy a real pachinko machine for less than a PV-1000.

I suppose folks who buy such systems don't do it for the games... As a collectors item no system is redundant.

• 4 weeks later...

What I don't understand is why anyone would put wear on a system, for multiple systems worth of games... I suppose the only exception I would make for this, is playing PS1 games on the PS2, and playing GC games on the Wii. A mild contradiction I know, but considering how many systems are backwards compatible; I am of the mind that it makes logical sense to cause wear and tear on a system, with its own games and no other systems games.

Well, some of us wear our systems out, then play on another system of possible. Yeah I guess it's counterintuitive, but when the old system dies, you may not can just get a new one. (I ran into that with PlayStation and original xbox) but these systems aren't something I'd get used, to many problems, so while I was still playing those games, I played on the system I could reasonably expect to be able to replace.

I love psx and Xbox games, but when my PlayStation died, I kept playing on ps 2, and even got a backup unit, when Xbox died, I largely quit playing due to the janky 360 bc.

Well, some of us wear our systems out, then play on another system of possible. Yeah I guess it's counterintuitive, but when the old system dies, you may not can just get a new one. (I ran into that with PlayStation and original xbox) but these systems aren't something I'd get used, to many problems, so while I was still playing those games, I played on the system I could reasonably expect to be able to replace.

I love psx and Xbox games, but when my PlayStation died, I kept playing on ps 2, and even got a backup unit, when Xbox died, I largely quit playing due to the janky 360 bc.

I hear ya, but the systems you listed are affordable. I'm not busting balls, just saying... they're easily replaced unless you're looking for a Mint CIB unit, which can be a bear tracking down from someone, at a reasonable price, considering most Sellers are assholes on Ebay.

No offense taken. They are cheap consoles, but reliability of moving parts is a lot lower than cart consoles.

I still should get a new xbox, er, used. I love it's games and 360's bc sucked, I'm sorry to say, and it looks like the one is going with that emulator, or whatever it is.

If I knew more about it I might could put a new DVD drive in it, but my technical knowledge is lacking and there's weird stuff like drive pairing and os moding you have to do and that's over my head, lol.

Edited by Video

Having an 800 definitely makes owning a 400 redundant. But somehow I like the 400 Aesthetic better. I guess with a Sophia board and 48k of ram it doesn’t matter which one you choose. I also think the 400 looks better than the 800 with those aftermarket mechanical keyboards. The 800 is such a fatty.

Edited by adamchevy

I'd say the BC PS3 is likely the console that causes the most redundancy. You don't need a PS2 or PS1 at all. In fact, if your Blu-ray laser dies, the regular laser can still play PS1/PS2 games even if you cant play PS3 games anymore.

I'd say there no other console quite like it. Most other machines have it so it only makes on console redundant, not 2.

Edited by Bubsy3000

• 2 weeks later...

PS3 (certain models; makes PS2 and PS1 redundant)

Genesis/MegaDrive (with Power Base Converter, makes Master System Redundant)

SNES (with Super Game Boy add-on, sort of makes OG Game Boy redundant)

Nomad (makes Genesis/MegaDrive redundant and has portability, outputs for connection to CRTs)

XBO (makes 360 mostly redundant, not so much OG Xbox b/c lots of games still aren't compatible)

Wii (makes Gamecube redundant)

3DS (makes DS mostly redundant)