DKJR technical demo

66 replies to this topic

#26 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,881 posts

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:45 AM

Hi guys.

Someone wishing to remain anonymous has shared with me a kind of technical demo.

It's kind of impressive. No idea whether author wants to keep developing it.

(click to animate)
attachicon.gifmvi_0005.gif

With this author be open to collaboration? I reverse engineered most of the DK Junior source code. I also think I could help with the graphics

This keeps getting better !!!!!
This would be an awesome Collaboration ... Carl and the Masked programmer.. What a dynamic dual !!!!! Thanks as well Carl..

#27 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,526 posts

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 AM

A thought I always had with donkey kong is to leave donkey kong and the girl off screen; then scroll up once the round is over. It gives you more screen space for more game elements e.g. girders; and those characters never look good with background graphics, although Carl's donkey kong looks okay. Once the round ends and the screen scrolls up you can use all the high resolution sprites on these characters. Maybe the same can be done with dkjr.

#28 Black_Tiger OFFLINE  

Black_Tiger

Moonsweeper

• 431 posts

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 PM

Here is my attempt at an arcade-looking Donkey Kong.

I don't know the exact limits and borderlines of the cards, but I started out using the same colors in the demo pics to create a 4-color pixelart of Donkey Kong independent of the cage. It can be reworked in a number of ways to use 2 colors per section. Having a somewhat detailed base to work from leaves it open to future possibilities that might work towards that version.

dkjrintv1.gif

dkjrintv2.gif

dkji3.gif

Guessing on the limits of the demo based on where the colors stop horizontally, I made this version:

dkjri2color1.gif

dkjri2color2.gif

dkji6.gif

I thought that it still looked good, but then paid attention to where the vertical divides are:

dkjri2color3.gif

dkjri2color4.gif

dkji9.gif

I previewed before posting and noticed that I forgot to fill in the top. This should be to spec now:

dkjri2color5.gif

dkjri2color6.gif

dkji12.gifdkjj.gif

If the mystery developer or anyone else working on another DKJR port wants to use or work off of any of what I've posted, please feel free.

#29 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,633 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 PM

It looks nice! :)

So far no answer.

#30 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,235 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 7:39 AM

Wow, looks great! Hope this happens. Rev, where is the box art? MT, where is the manual and OL's? As you were...

Soon

#31 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,633 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 12:17 PM

At last I got an answer this morning.

There are good and bad news. First the bad one, the developer thought I was a publisher of games, that's the cause he was sending me the ROMs to "lure" me.

Already he got an offer but didn't told me from who (I can deduct it from the post above this one ;) ), and sadly I didn't receive another ROM but only a GIF.

The good news is that he has continued development, used the Black_Tiger graphics, and told me doesn't want to use the Carl's reverse engineering efforts because he's enjoying programming the game and wants to code it as Coleco did, only by watching the arcade.

So apparently this will be my last post in this thread. Anyway I'm glad of at least having tested the first level. :thumbsup:

(click to animate)
mvi_0006.gif

#32 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,235 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Great news!

#33 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,881 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 3:50 PM

The excitement is sure building !!!! That's for sure...

#34 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,492 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 4:41 PM

The good news is that he has continued development, used the Black_Tiger graphics, and told me doesn't want to use the Carl's reverse engineering efforts because he's enjoying programming the game and wants to code it as Coleco did, only by watching the arcade.

That's the best way! :)

-dZ.

#35 artrag ONLINE  

artrag

Stargunner

• 1,143 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 AM

At last I got an answer this morning.

There are good and bad news. First the bad one, the developer thought I was a publisher of games, that's the cause he was sending me the ROMs to "lure" me.

Already he got an offer but didn't told me from who (I can deduct it from the post above this one ;) ), and sadly I didn't receive another ROM but only a GIF.

So apparently this will be my last post in this thread. Anyway I'm glad of at least having tested the first level. :thumbsup:

(click to animate)
attachicon.gifmvi_0006.gif

He should put the sprite multiplexing code in the ISR in order to control the flickering rate.

It could be the video, but it seems that he has the multiplexing code in the main loop, so its rate seems way below 30Hz and to vary according to the CPU load....

#36 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,633 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:40 AM

I think it's related to the way in which jzintv generates the GIF files. The first ROM looks fine in emulation.

#37 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,235 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 AM

#38 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,200 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:40 AM

Those are the best Intellivision graphics I've ever seen!  Even better than the movie trailer!

Did you record that on a 4K TV or something?

#39 Spike Danton OFFLINE  

Spike Danton

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 AM

Is that actually running on an Intellivision!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That is a huuugggeee improvement on graphics from the official Intellivision donkey kong Jr I don't even think the top best looking official Intellivsion titles come close to that???

#40 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• Topic Starter
  • 5,633 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 PM

It looks like a release has been done :o

http://atariage.com/...8/#entry4138154

Link to a video of the game playing (it has sound and I can see the first intermission!!!)

https://www.facebook...53117788094999/

Took this picture from the Intellivision Homebrew group.

44461920_2253121378094640_2162066122826842112_o.jpg

#41 Lord Thag ONLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,507 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 PM

I picked up a copy of this at PRGE. It's pretty sweet, and light years better than coleco's effort. Has all 4 boards in the proper order too. 

#42 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,206 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 PM

Nevermind... digging further, looks great, but (like Astro Invader) not into the squished/smaller playfield layouts of this version. :)

#43 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,200 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:45 PM

Something tells me it could appear on the Intellivision Revolution store soon.  It could be that outstanding orders for other games have priority.

#44 xybot67 OFFLINE  

xybot67

Moonsweeper

• 290 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 PM

Can someone post a gameplay video? I don't have nor want a Facebook account.. :)

#45 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,779 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 PM

Can someone post a gameplay video? I don't have nor want a Facebook account.. :)

#46 xybot67 OFFLINE  

xybot67

Moonsweeper

• 290 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Thanks! lol

#47 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,881 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:30 PM

lmao!!!!!!

#48 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,492 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:55 AM

Looks photoshopped! :grin:

#49 darryl1970 OFFLINE  

darryl1970

Dragonstomper

• 833 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 AM

My one-handed technique wasn't so great.

I needed two hands. I am new to 3D videos, so not sure if I can process this at higher quality. It's not this blurry in the original, but doesn't post as 3D.

Here are a couple screens of gameplay.

Edited by darryl1970, Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:06 AM.

#50 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 16,235 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:13 AM

My one-handed technique wasn't so great.

I needed two hands. I am new to 3D videos, so not sure if I can process this at higher quality. It's not this blurry in the original, but doesn't post as 3D.
Here are a couple screens of gameplay.

Thats cool.

If you look to the right its Steve Jones!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users