Photo

Play Atari 2600 Games using QR Codes

53 replies to this topic

#51 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,111 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:04 PM

This is fun and interesting, although compared to a Harmony cartridge it is of course pretty clumsy.

A much more interesting and useful application of QR codes goes virtually undetected in new games for the 8 bit computers. The guys from Poland have put software in a number of recent games like Stunt Car Racer and Bosconian that generate a QR screen on your TV/monitor. Scan that and you get a registered high-score on a website. 

No extra hardware needed, the Atari 8 bit computer simply displays a lot of black and white blocks....which is a QR code :)

I think I saw an nes homebrew that displayed a qr code linking to the developer's website. It was a tdch demo or something. Should be feasible on an atari 2600 using only playfield graphics (maximum 40 pixel width, and many codes are smaller than that).

#52 TheHoboInYourRoom OFFLINE  

TheHoboInYourRoom

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts
  • Whackadoo thingamajig

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 PM

I think I saw an nes homebrew that displayed a qr code linking to the developer's website. It was a tdch demo or something. Should be feasible on an atari 2600 using only playfield graphics (maximum 40 pixel width, and many codes are smaller than that).

Bang! does precisely that after the credit roll.
xSqueeker also puts up a QR code, but that one just says "xSqueeker" rather than a URL.

#53 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,983 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 PM

The contest version of "The Stacks" also displays a QR code when you complete the game. 

#54 scrummy OFFLINE  

scrummy

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:53 AM

I think Xerox (Parc) data glyph's would be a superior solution. You can use them to hide the data inside of a normal image.

(BTW, this is the same tech that all printers/copiers use to insert nearly invisible tracking data into everything you print.)

People that don't care, just see the image, those that want the code, can get the code.  

Article from creator:

http://www.tauzero.c.../DataGlyph.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users