IGNORED

Micro Gotek / 3.5" Floppy drive internal/swappable w/2.42" LCD

I finally got my Micro Gotek installed how I want, but it turned out a tad different from my original intention (I was originally going to put the buttons for control on the floppy stack with the LCD display). Well, I ended up scrapping the idea of putting the buttons on the floppy disk stack (and need to print a black version without the button holes now) and now I have my dual internal floppy setup up and running. Mounted the Gotek/Floppy switch on the back of the system, mounted the USB socket and rotary encoder there as well. No ports I'll be using are blocked, and it still looks fairly clean (I did notice I need to neaten up the hot glue on the switch).

I used the Micro Gotek board from Piotr Bugaj , and Flashfloppy from Keir Fraser. I had to desolder the floppy cable from the STE main board and solder on a standard floppy drive header. I then made a custom floppy cable that's just long enough (with bends, since my aftermarket floppy has the header the opposite direction than stock), with pin 10 attached to the 2 way switch to select with drive will be active (this MAY only work on STE's, I'm not sure if it works on ST/STF machines). I mounted the micro Gotek with double sided tape behind the removable shield that covers the RAM, as well as the USB key circuit board.

The wiring for the LCD is pulled through the cheese-grater slots below it and then plugged into the Gotek board which sits directly under it. I did have to slightly file the area they go through, but that's the only modification to the top of the case.

If you flip the switch to the right side of the machine, it selects the floppy drive, to the left selects the Gotek. The pin 10 method appears to not actually swap the drive designations, only enabling which drive is actually active as A: (not a problem for me, but for some, it could be).

Now I need to see about designing a case to go around my Satandisk v4 drive..

Micro Gotek available here (when he's got them in stock, Piotr makes them by hand): https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/32413

Floppy Stack LCD Frame (this one still has the button holes, I'll fix it and reupload the non-button version at some point): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3014250

LCD Screen/Floppy Stack:

2018-09-08%2023.01.33.jpg?dl=1

Atari STE Rear Panel:

2018-09-08%2023.01.53.jpg?dl=1

Internal Setup:

2018-09-09%2012.07.29.jpg?dl=1

Edited by David Hefner