IGNORED

McWill VGA Output Installation

displaced

Hi!

Having installed a McWill screen in my Lynx 1, I'm pondering some different ways of installing the VGA output. I'm searching for a clean-looking shell to re-case my Lynx, and am wondering if I can avoid having to mod the shell to install a clunky VGA port.

I'm going to try filing down the internal 'lip' on the case just above the cartridge edge connector so I can run a 6-way ribbon cable through into the game cart 'bay'. I'm now looking for the highest density 6-contact connector to put on the end (perhaps a high-density IDC socket?)

My idea is that the ribbon cable + connector folds up inside the cartridge bay when not in use. Then, when needed, I pull it out and use a dongle to adapt the connector to standard VGA. The only downside I can see is that this might make the Lynx a little awkward to hold during play, but that may well be a decent compromise.

My other idea, if I can't avoid modding the case, is to use the smallest 6-contact DIN I can find. Perhaps something like the old PC PS2 mouse/keyboard DIN sockets (or some other small DIN-style connector). Assuming there's enough space internally, this would be nice in that it could be fitted flush to the case.

Has anyone else installed their VGA-out in a way other than 'normal'?