IGNORED

Stella in Ubuntu 18.04

CX40Hero

Ok, looks like the maintainer of the stella package has set a requirement that it can't be installed with any sdl2 version older than 2.0.7. So basically they've blocked the ability to work-around the issue. :(

Your options would be to either a) wait for this bug to be fixed, b) force-install stella with the older sdl2 in place, or c) build from source. (probably a bit involved for someone new to Ubuntu)

(b) is usually a very bad thing to do, but stella doesn't have anything that depends on it, so it's not really a big deal in this case.

Let me know what you want to do. I understand if you've had your fill of trying to work around this.

Ive sent Stephen Anthony a PM to report the bug, hopefully this issue will be resolved in the new version that's currently being Beta tested.

Thank you for all your support in trying to get this resolved, hopefully itll be fixed in time for next years high score tournament!

Ok, I see that is removed stella during the sdl2 downgrade. I didn't expect that, but downgrading packages isn't something I do every day.

Try this... (you can skip the first step if you didn't try to install stella again, after the last attempt)

sudo apt install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386=2.0.4+dfsg1-2ubuntu2

sudo apt-mark hold libsdl2-2.0-0

sudo apt-get install stella

Does i386 refer to the 32-bit version of sdl. Isn't there a way in linux to force remove a package without removing dependencies using dpkg.

Ive sent Stephen Anthony a PM to report the bug, hopefully this issue will be resolved in the new version that's currently being Beta tested.

Thank you for all your support in trying to get this resolved, hopefully itll be fixed in time for next years high score tournament!

While Stephen is the Stella dev and maintainer, he isn't the maintainer of the Ubuntu package. (technically the Debian package. Ubuntu is based on Debian Linux)

But the issue is already logged, so hopefully they'll have it fixed. You should "sudo apt-mark unhold libsdl2-2.0-0" to remove the hold from SDL, and then you can just reinstall stella when the issue is reported as resolved.

Does i386 refer to the 32-bit version of sdl. Isn't there a way in linux to force remove a package without removing dependencies using dpkg.

Yes, i386 refers to 32-bit x86. You could remove an individual package with dpkg. If things depend on that package, you'd need to force it, but there are switches to do that.

I only started my new job 3 weeks ago after being unemployed for 3 months, its all I could afford :(

Nah, no need to frown. If the system fits your use-case and budget, then it's all good. Most people here have outgrown the "moar faster" stage of brain development.

That is a 64-bit capable CPU, so you could have installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. The only real difference you'd likely notice, is the 32-bit version only supports up to 4G of RAM. (and even then, there are ways around that)

• Like 1

Nah, no need to frown. If the system fits your use-case and budget, then it's all good. Most people here have outgrown the "moar faster" stage of brain development.

That is a 64-bit capable CPU, so you could have installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. The only real difference you'd likely notice, is the 32-bit version only supports up to 4G of RAM. (and even then, there are ways around that)

Do you think its worth me unistalling Ubuntu and reinstalling the 64 bit version to see if that helps the situation?

Apart from a few free programs there's nothing currently stored on there.

Do you think its worth me unistalling Ubuntu and reinstalling the 64 bit version to see if that helps the situation?

Apart from a few free programs there's nothing currently stored on there.

If you're eventually going to upgrade the RAM over 4G, then yeah, you might as well reinstall now while it's less painful.

Not sure if it will solve your problem, but it's worth a shot.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Here's how you can force install stella without apt trying to upgrade SDL2...

sudo apt-get download stella

tar -xvzf stella.tar.gz

sudo apt install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386=2.0.4+dfsg1-2ubuntu2

sudo apt-mark hold libsdl2-2.0-0

cd stella

sudo dpkg -i --force-all stella*deb

If that doesn't work, install the 64-bit Ubuntu. Or you can Install the 64-but Ubuntu as plan A, and try the above as plan B. Up to you.

• Like 1