Wizard of Wor Arcade - reboot

37 replies to this topic

#1 johnnywc OFFLINE  

johnnywc

Stargunner

• 1,947 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:57 PM

Hello all,

Now that Mappy is almost complete and awaiting it's release at the Portland Gaming Expo in a few weeks, Champ Games would like to announce our next game... Wizard of Wor Arcade!

For those who may not know, Champ Games started a Wizard of Wor rewrite back in 2007 that was never completed. That code has been resurrected and the current version takes full advantage of the latest technology, including CDF bank-switching for enhanced graphics (created by Nathan Strum) and all the arcade mazes, arcade-like sound effects and speech (created by Mike Haas) using the AtariVox+ (over 50+ phrases!).  Additionally, it will support Nathan Tolbert's re-vamped multi-joystick adapter which will allow 2 joysticks to be plugged into one port while leaving the second one free for in-game speech with the AtariVox and high score saving! 

Special thanks to CDS Games and Nukey Shay for their blessing and amazing work on the Wizard of Wor 2: The Arena hack which provided the inspiration for some of the cut scenes and mazes, and it was also the game that Mike's AtariVox speech were originally developed for.

The game is about 95% complete and and will available to play (with Nathan T's multi-joystick adapter and AtariVox+ speech) at this years Portland Gaming Expo.  My brother Paul and I will be on hand if you're up for a challenge! :)

Here is a screenshot of the title screen.  I will be posting more info as the PRGE approaches, with a playable ROM to be posted sometime after the expo.

wowarc.png

#2 Greenfuzz OFFLINE  

Greenfuzz

Star Raider

• 69 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:38 PM

Looks GREAT.

#3 CDS Games OFFLINE  

CDS Games

Moonsweeper

• 386 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 PM

Great to see this!!!

Nukey did some amazing work with that hack....and we were so close to a finished game!! But in the end, it would still have been just a hack--can't wait to see a new WoW programmed from the ground up with the latest technology.

#4 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,220 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 PM

Awesome work John!

Still waiting for that CDS WoW2: The Arena too!!!! ;-)

#5 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,115 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 PM

Hoo hoo, this looks promising! Nice title screen, too!

#6 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,538 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 PM

Really wish I could attend PRGE again.  Last year was a blast.  Can't wait to pick up a copy of Mappy and Wizard of War Arcade. :)

#7 Reality Studio OFFLINE  

Reality Studio

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 PM

Will be buying this and Mappy complete in box once they are available, thanks for making these!

#8 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,586 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 PM

Ohh dear.. not again! What are we gonna do with all this greatness?

#9 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:32 PM

Couldn't you make speak built-in, like it was with Draconian? With the AtariVox plugged in a joyport, you lose the possibility of playing 2 players with human speech samples.

Edited by MemberAtarian, Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 PM.

#10 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,454 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 AM

Couldn't you make speak built-in, like it was with Draconian?

The 5 short phrases in Draconian took 4.5K to store the data, about 9000 samples packed 2 samples per byte.  The Wizard is way too chatty (phrase list below the header TRIVIA) to store them as samples in ROM.

With the AtariVox plugged in a joyport, you lose the possibility of playing 2 players with human speech samples.

It supports a new version of Nathan's slick multiplexer which allows 2 joysticks to be plugged into a single port.  Nathan demoed his original version at PRGE last year, Joe Decuir was quite impressed with it.

#11 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 AM

The 5 short phrases in Draconian took 4.5K to store the data, about 9000 samples packed 2 samples per byte.  The Wizard is way too chatty (phrase list below the header TRIVIA) to store them as samples in ROM.

It supports a new version of Nathan's slick multiplexer which allows 2 joysticks to be plugged into a single port.  Nathan demoed his original version at PRGE last year, Joe Decuir was quite impressed with it.

If it supports Nat's quadjoust-thing, then I take back my worries and... Hail to the King, baby. :D

#12 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,248 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 PM

Awesome!!

If this had existed back in the day,  it would have been another must have and would have been a giant seller!

#13 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,168 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:07 PM

AtariVox killer app.

#14 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,722 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 PM

That looks fantastic!

#15 Atari Nut OFFLINE  

Atari Nut

Moonsweeper

• 263 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 AM

Is this for the 2600?

Edited by Atari Nut, Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 AM.

#16 johnnywc OFFLINE  

johnnywc

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,947 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 AM

Is this for the 2600?

Yes! :)

Edited by johnnywc, Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 AM.

#17 roryjr OFFLINE  

roryjr

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 AM

Put me down for both complete in box.  Two of my favorite games.

#18 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 AM

Because I sold my C64 long ago and I sometimes miss my favorite games (Skramble is at least now avaiable for the VCS :D ), WoW is another one on my list, next one should be Flimbo's Quest. XD

#19 PaultheRoman OFFLINE  

PaultheRoman

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 PM

Is the ROM for this going to be released, or is it going to be a cartridge only game? I would love to be able to play this.

#20 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 8,168 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 PM

Is the ROM for this going to be released, or is it going to be a cartridge only game? I would love to be able to play this.

I will be posting more info as the PRGE approaches, with a playable ROM to be posted sometime after the expo.

#21 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:18 PM

I have seen the gameplay video and it's really cool on a real CRT, and I got an idea: As the Worluck appears, can you draw the pf so it's black and every third line is what, and it rolls down? Of course you can't really do a mashed one like on the real one, but a rolling one would look cool as well. :)

#22 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,619 posts

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:08 AM

Posted under the AtariAge Twitter account...

Playable demo at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next month!

#23 AW127 OFFLINE  

AW127

Moonsweeper

• 325 posts

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:47 PM

Wow, great !!!  :thumbsup:  "Wizard of Wor" is one of my favourite games since my childhood, especially i like the 2-player-simultan-mode. Played and still play the C64-version of the game alot. Looking forward to the new version on the Atari VCS-2600.

#24 JFD62780 OFFLINE  

JFD62780

Star Raider

• 55 posts
  • Born 8 years TO THE DAY after Atari was founded!

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 PM

Forgive me for saying, but I predict AtariVox support to be requested a TON in Stella soon after this release...

Even weirder, the voices here are WAY more intelligible than the original! XD

Not to mention the title screen ALONE! Best titlescreen for the VCS. EVER. :D

Edited by JFD62780, Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 PM.

#25 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,586 posts

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 PM

IIRC there is a copyright issue with the speakjet roms. so it won't happen.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users