Type-In Games Compute Magazine Apple II Games Lost Software

42 replies to this topic

#26 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:22 PM

Yeah... just as an update, I was able to dig around in a save-state IMG file from ApplePC and view the basic file. Something is really buggy in there. I transferred the basic file to a DOS 3.3 disk image, but after looking at it it seems all the BIN support files are missing. This is quickly turning into a complicated situation.

If I can't find the source dsk from whereever this came from, it might be time to start over, if we can find a copy of that issue of Nibble.

I do have a bunch of .SHK archives of various issues of Nibble that contain all the programs, so if we're lucky we can find it in one of those if we can pin-point the issue it appeared in.

#27 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 PM

december 86 apparently...it has a basic component that drew the hires car first, and then it died... I ended up assuming there was some kind of error in the listing, we tried it many times... individually and then together, 1 reading and the other typing.  Net result was just what you described, so maybe your backup isn't corrupt, its just they way that it is.

A

#28 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:24 PM

Vol 7 No12 just in case thats more important than the date. :)

#29 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 PM

Vol 7 No12 just in case thats more important than the date. :)

I'll look for it tonight if I have time. I love mysteries like this.

It must have worked for me at one time, or I wouldn't have added it to my emulator menu. I have vague memories of a red dot moving on the rim of the steering wheel that was supposed to indicate your direction.

Anyway, thanks ill check for that issue.

#30 Polymorph OFFLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 PM

Guys,

Not sure if you know or not, but all of the nibble programs are available as a free download from the official nibble magazine website:

http://www.nibblemag...ibble_disks.htm

Hopefully that will save you the trouble of typing them in again.   :-D

Cheers,

Mike

#31 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:32 PM

Guys,

Not sure if you know or not, but all of the nibble programs are available as a free download from the official nibble magazine website:

http://www.nibblemag...ibble_disks.htm

Hopefully that will save you the trouble of typing them in again.   :-D

Cheers,

Mike

Wow... will here's the silver bullet for Nibble magazines. Thanks, and yes, this probably saved me a giant amount of time.

#32 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:51 PM

You're not going to keep them to read Mike's 2 cents worth in the editors column? :)

#33 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:52 PM

Wow... these Nibble articles are intense.

So I pieced together a working copy of Formula Nibble... thanks to the archive from Nibble Magazine itself and the pointer from Polymorph.

Little did I realize most of the basic files are actually MAKE files... of sorts. (In the December 1986 directory of NIB29A.DSK... to save you some time if you want to join me in this rabbit hole). They generate the tracks, tables and graphics when you run them, and then save all those files on the disk. The main game program needs to have all these support files on the disk before it will run properly.

Neat!

Does anyone have this actual magazine in hard copy, or Mike Harvey's DVD set? It would be cool to add a title screen from the graphics in the magazine and make it a bootable DSK file, I think.

#34 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 PM

Got some great pic of the original Formula Nibble article. I sent an email to Mike Harvey to make sure my tinkering was okay with him before I post. We'll see.

#35 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:29 AM

... anyway, back to Compute!

Just got Vulcan Mines typed-in. Confusing as crazy. Game seems to work.

In these days where we spend more time to type-in (tech-support, install, bugfix, take yer pick) a game then actually play it, this is not a surprise that I didn't actually have a few minutes to figure it out.

I plan to make something that will let us launch the game, or edit levels. Plus have instructions. Working on it.  Haven't typed in the level editor yet.

#36 Lee Adamson OFFLINE  

Lee Adamson

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:39 PM

You have more patience than me.  I'd try to scan+OCR them, and then EXEC them to get the program loaded.  :P

#37 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 PM

You have more patience than me.  I'd try to scan+OCR them, and then EXEC them to get the program loaded.  :P

Hehe... Glad I can save you some heartbreak there. Tried that... Due to Compute's choice of typeface, all the OCR attempts had... Err... Issues. I mean, they'd work for 99% of the text in terms of accuracy, but that last 1% was enough to drive me crazy...

For example... The ('s would sometimes come in as C's, the 5's as S's and the worst was 8's would show up as 3's (usually in a POKE or DATA statements). Spaces and carriage returns all had to be manually fixed. : And ; would be randomly wrong. Also D's, O's and 0's would mix up six ways from Sunday. Wouldn't be so bad if only there was consistency, but well, no.

All is all, debugging the result was as time consuming as typing it in straight, but way more cerebral. I did do it this way a couple of times tho- with Caves of Ice and most of Spiders.

Hex entires with OCR? Forget it. Attempts at doing this with Canyon Runner almost killed me. My dance with sorting 8's 0's and D's could get me a heavy perscription. (Dramatic? Sure! Really frustrating? Also sure!)

Anyways, I got a much faster method I developed. If anyone wants to know my technique, just PM me. I'm almost out of Apple II type-in material that's still lost, but there's still some for other platforms.

#38 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 AM

Well I s'pose at the end of the day, you could just bang it all into a text file rather than bang it straight into monitor, which was what we used to do.  That way if you need to check your entries you've still got a copy of it.  I still remember sitting there, poking back through the listing on the II+ comparing it to the magazine and trying to locate the differences.  

A

#39 zyzzle OFFLINE  

zyzzle

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 PM

Hehe... Glad I can save you some heartbreak there. Tried that... Due to Compute's choice of typeface, all the OCR attempts had... Err... Issues. I mean, they'd work for 99% of the text in terms of accuracy, but that last 1% was enough to drive me crazy...

For example... The ('s would sometimes come in as C's, the 5's as S's and the worst was 8's would show up as 3's (usually in a POKE or DATA statements). Spaces and carriage returns all had to be manually fixed. : And ; would be randomly wrong. Also D's, O's and 0's would mix up six ways from Sunday. Wouldn't be so bad if only there was consistency, but well, no.

All is all, debugging the result was as time consuming as typing it in straight, but way more cerebral. I did do it this way a couple of times tho- with Caves of Ice and most of Spiders.

Hex entires with OCR? Forget it. Attempts at doing this with Canyon Runner almost killed me. My dance with sorting 8's 0's and D's could get me a heavy perscription. (Dramatic? Sure! Really frustrating? Also sure!)

Anyways, I got a much faster method I developed. If anyone wants to know my technique, just PM me. I'm almost out of Apple II type-in material that's still lost, but there's still some for other platforms.

My guess is you simply were not scanning them in at a high enough DPI, and also probably scanning in as a compressed JPEG file. You need to try AT LEAST 600 dpi, .PNG or TIFF uncompressed. Scan at 24-bit color, try that as is. Then manually convert down to Greyscale (8 bit). Further, it might help to then convert that Greyscale uncompressed image to 2-bit BEFORE doing any OCR attempt. Good luck!

And Thanks so very much for your efforts. You are indeed doing pivotal and truly important work in your preservations efforts. My hat's off to you, and please keep it up! You archivists are heroic in my mind.

Edited by zyzzle, Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:23 PM.

#40 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:20 AM

Added these to The Lower Planes file areas.  Great work Captain!

#41 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2018 8:53 AM

Thanks!

I've had to deal with a lot of family stuff this past week. I'll post another one soon. Several are close to finished state.

#42 Aunty Entity OFFLINE  

Aunty Entity

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:33 PM

Nothing like family is there.... :)  You're doing great... no rush, slow and steady...

#43 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:47 AM

Here's another one then!

This was also on compilation Vol 1... but I remember it being one I had to hunt down, so it was pretty hard to find. (This was one I typed in back in the day, so it might be from an ADT image of my own disks, can't remember now.)

Anyway, here it is with a proper title screen, instructions and self-boot. Nice little gem from the time.

GalaxyDefender Boot
GalaxyDefender Title

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Type-In Games, Compute Magazine, Apple II Games, Lost Software

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users