Photo

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

572 replies to this topic

#1 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• 5,476 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 AM

https://www.playstat...tation-classic/

#2 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,130 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 AM

Oh, so they HAVE picked some of the games for this system! Looks pretty Square and Namco heavy. I suppose Tomb Raider is a given... maybe WipeOut too.

(I'd LIKE to see Bloody Roar in there, and maybe Intelligent Qube while I'm wishing.)

#3 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 7,586 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:41 AM

Beat me to it. :)

I thought someone was being silly, but then saw something about it at another forum.

Looks to be rendering at native resolution. I suppose that's expected after the PS3 and PSP, but a higher resolution would've been nice to see. 

Edited by Atariboy, Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 AM.

#4 youxia ONLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 557 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:15 AM

FF7. It will sell like hot cakes on the strength of this name alone.

#5 akator OFFLINE  

akator

River Patroller

• 2,639 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:03 AM

Doesn't matter that I've got all sorts of PlayStation 1 stuff already, I love it :)

#6 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,027 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 AM

ah, someone beat me to the link.  being able to add my own roms wouldn't hurt, either ;)

#7 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Cotton Headed

• 14,789 posts
  • Ninny Muggins

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:38 AM

It's cute ...and a hundred bucks. I'm sure this will sell really well, much better than the (much more powerful and versatile) PlayStation TV.

I wonder what the margins would be on a new PSP with preloaded games? That would be more interesting to me.

#8 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 2,972 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 AM

Looks cool, though I have to wonder what the game library is going to look like when they reveal all 20. Not surprised that it's $100 considering that the most of the popular PlayStation games were 3rd party and licensing those games for re-release won't come cheap. As long as it has Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night I'll call it legit. :)

#9 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,428 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 AM

I have to admit I'm interested.  I never liked them back in the 90s, but I eventually ended up with a PSOne+LCD combo and found the games on there to really even 4 generations in to be the best on that thing.  I'm curious so I'll dig more into the library.  I just won't get into some fanboy pissing match, so on the rare chance someone gifts me it for the season then I'll track it down in time as Sony being second to growing up in Nintendoland I can be a good bit more patient.  And if this crap keeps up I'll have to get yet another HDMI switcher box. :\  I think once I get my UltraHDMI update on I'm out of spots.

#10 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 10,317 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:15 AM

Cool will pick one up. Hoping the games on it are more on the 'uncommon' side. Suikoden II, Parasite Eve but I kinda doubt it.

#11 KeeperofLindblum OFFLINE  

KeeperofLindblum

Dragonstomper

• 686 posts
  • The Real Keeper

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 AM

This is... unexpected! I look forward to the full list coming soon~

I saw some comments on Youtube complaining that it's the original PS1 controller instead of the Dualshock 1. Not a big deal to me though since I actually love the original PS1 controller. 

#12 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,815 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:46 AM

Yep.. I'm kind of kicking myself for not predicting this. Oh well doesn't matter.. I'm all in. :)

#13 F34R ONLINE  

F34R

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 AM

Pre-ordered just for the sake of having it.  Won't even open it lol.

#14 Punisher5.0 ONLINE  

Punisher5.0

River Patroller

• 3,780 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:58 AM

$100 is quite a bit for a device like this. They must be using old Vita memory cards for internal storage ;)

#15 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,096 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 AM

Looks cool, though I have to wonder what the game library is going to look like when they reveal all 20. Not surprised that it's $100 considering that the most of the popular PlayStation games were 3rd party and licensing those games for re-release won't come cheap. As long as it has Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night I'll call it legit. :)

If Capcom signs a deal to have Resident Evil included, perhaps they'll also include Mega Man Legends. Or better yet, Mega Man Legends 2, because the first game in that series will probably appear on the (yet unannounced) N64 Mini anyway.

#16 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,026 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 AM

$100 is quite a bit for a device like this.

For your info, on the Swedish market this console will cost 70% more than it will on the US market, after adding VAT and other items. Although everything tends to be more expensive here due to a different economic system, I seem to remember that the Nintendo systems, and even the AtGame consoles haven't had quite that much mark-up.

• jhd likes this

#17 Atari_Warlord OFFLINE  

Atari_Warlord

Dragonstomper

• 775 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 AM

Not sure I need this as I still have 3 PS1's.  If it has the ability to play roms from a memory card I would consider it.  Would still prefer Sony add an emulator to the PS4 and let me play my original games from the disks.

The higher cost is probably licensing, extra storage required for the games, and throwing in an extra controller.  I guess they saved a little by excluding the AC adapter.

#18 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,817 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:19 AM

Crosses fingers and prays to Xenu that this makes an N64 mini more likely...

#19 John Stamos Mullet OFFLINE  

John Stamos Mullet

Dragonstomper

• 738 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 AM

$100 for 5 games? If this doesn't have the ability to play your own roms, and requires you to re-buy these games - no way.

I already have a CFW PS3 that has 100% backwards compatibility with PS1 games.

#20 Eltigro ONLINE  

Eltigro

River Patroller

• 2,433 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 AM

Think it's going to have more than 5 games, that's just all they've announced or finalized so far...

I have a PSOne and several PS2s, so I have many ways to play original discs... but depending on what the other games are... I mean, if you add up the cost of those games individually, it'll surely be higher than $100.  So unless you already have all/most of them, it might be a good value.

Edited by Eltigro, Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 AM.

#21 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Stargunner

• 1,679 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 AM

Yup, just pre-ordered at Best Buy after seeing the link on Slickdeals.   I'm a sucker.

#22 John Stamos Mullet OFFLINE  

John Stamos Mullet

Dragonstomper

• 738 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 AM

Think it's going to have more than 5 games, that's just all they've announced or finalized so far...

I have a PSOne and several PS2s, so I have many ways to play original discs... but depending on what the other games are... I mean, if you add up the cost of those games individually, it'll surely be higher than $100.  So unless you already have all/most of them, it might be a good value.

Those games would have that value in 1998, maybe. in 2018? not so much.

#23 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Stargunner

• 1,679 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 AM

$100 for 5 games? If this doesn't have the ability to play your own roms, and requires you to re-buy these games - no way.

I already have a CFW PS3 that has 100% backwards compatibility with PS1 games.

The Sony page says 20 games.

#24 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,765 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:48 AM

YouTube will be infected with a bunch of 20-something gamer vids making 23 minute rant videos about this, even before it's released.

"hey guys, derpgamer here, and you probably heard about the playstation classic..... " (20 minutes of yammering)

#25 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Stargunner

• 1,679 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 AM

YouTube will be infected with a bunch of 20-something gamer vids making 23 minute rant videos about this, even before it's released.

"hey guys, derpgamer here, and you probably heard about the playstation classic..... " (20 minutes of yammering)

Thanks, I finally have decided on the name for my Youtube channel.  Derpgamer!  :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users