IGNORED

Comparing Homebrew Scene - Nes vs. 7800

LidLikesIntellivision

If I had the skillset, I would so make a Midnight Mutants sequel. That is one game that I wished had become a franchise.

I'd love to see a good Zelda/Golden Axe Warrior type game on the system too.

In truth, there are plenty of different homebrews like this that have been started through the years. But as you note, it's a lot more work to make a game like Midnight Mutants 2 and real life exists for homebrew programmers.

There've been some cool ideas like Bob's Zombie game and GroovyBee's Halloween game and dungeon crawling game that have been in various stages of development

I love when programmers fix up games that aren't great too ... we've been lucky to see that on the 7800 as well. Donkey Kong XM is way better than what Atari released. Kevin's work to clean up the art in Double Dragon was really nice too.

Hell, you don't even need Midnight Mutants 2 [yet]. Hacking Midnight Mutants so that it has POKEY audio and a battery backup would be a huge homebrew hit.

Combine Kevin's work on Double Dragon with POKEY - not even YM2151 - audio and that would sell well too.

Micro Mages looks nice! Definitely pushes the limits, given the size and no mappers.

I feel like the takeaway should be that both the 7800 and nes have vibrant homebrew communities. This is win win for fans and there's no need for a competition.

Let's not forget about the 2600 homebrew scene. Space Rocks, Stay Frosty 2, Juno First, etc.

Hey....don't forget about the 5200 scene either! :)

• 2 weeks later...