IGNORED

Just got my first PEB

videofx

Hi everyone!

Just got my first PEB.

First i received ny 32k sidecar today. With XB size i get 11840 bytes of stack space and 24488 bytes free of program. I get that with the sidecar and the 32k in the PEB so i guess this is normal?

No the drive in the PEB gives either Error 16 or 31 when i use Disk manager 2 to format a disk. Id it the drive or controller? I have tried brand new Verbatim and KAO disks. They format fine in my other computers.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Hi everyone!

Just got my first PEB.

First i received ny 32k sidecar today. With XB size i get 11840 bytes of stack space and 24488 bytes free of program. I get that with the sidecar and the 32k in the PEB so i guess this is normal?

No the drive in the PEB gives either Error 16 or 31 when i use Disk manager 2 to format a disk. Id it the drive or controller? I have tried brand new Verbatim and KAO disks. They format fine in my other computers.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

First things first, remove the 32K sidecar and just run with the 32k in the P-Box. Running both will NOT give you 64K and might be causing your issues.

Congrats on the P-Box..... photos please! :grin:

Sorry i wasnt clear. I tried to format the disks just using the PEB without the sidecar. So with just the PEB i was getting the disk errors. I will post some photos

Please post photos of the drive you have installed too. The TI PEB (stock) came with a 90k Single Sided/Single Density drive. If it's stock, make sure you are selecting 40 track and SS/SD.

Also typically the LED is at the top on stock drives and if so make sure the floppy disk index hole (small round hole) is at the top of the of the drive.

Which drive do you have, the Shugart or the MPI? The MPI is really easy to figure out, as it has the built-in disk-chucker mechanism (door opens and pushes the disk out, sometimes at great speed). Makes a huge clunking twang sound when it opens too. . .they used these a lot in TRS-80 land (MPI-51 (single sided) or MPI-52 (double sided)). On either of these TI drives, the notch definitely goes towards the light.

<< HERE >> is the manual for the disk drive.

Odd errors you are getting. At first I was wondering if it was a 35 track drive, then wondered if the heads were dirty.

Maybe the it's just plain broken after all these years?

I was thinking the same thing. Let me try 35 tracks and see what happens. The guy on Ebay said everything was working so I bought it. I am waiting for him to respond.

Also, double-check that the drive cables are still properly seated. A connector may have come loose at the drive end during shipment. . .

Yup, I removed the drive and everything is connected. I tried another TI disk controller. You hear the head step the 40 tracks as it initializes the disk. Then when it finishes the 40 tracks you get a RRRR from the heads then ERROR 31. I also tried the Corcomp 9900 and same thing except instead of error 31 I get ERROR 41. Here are some photos. Can anyone fix the drive?

post-32513-0-14428300-1538333613_thumb.jpg

post-32513-0-18847800-1538333637_thumb.jpg

post-32513-0-66933700-1538333655_thumb.jpg

post-32513-0-82275200-1538333674_thumb.jpg

Wasn't there a bug in DM 2 for the selections on SD/DD? ISTR that you had to hit No on the SD line, because the answers were reversed. . .

The fact that three different controllers have the same symptom does point to a drive issue though. Is the grease on the drive rails hardened? Sometimes that will prevent the heads from getting back to the proper starting point, and indicate no disk is present because it can't find the formatted sectors on the tracks.

The fact that it is going through the motions during the format run tells me the controller is apparently working fine. You hear the stepping and the long swing back to start--it just fails to read.

If anyone has any working drives for sale I want to a 2 drive system

You might want to investigate << THIS OPTION >>.

The device can perform as TWO disk drives in your P-Box and you will never have to mess with head cleaners or worry about aging mechanical parts or lubrication issues. The device can even pay for itself over time because you'll not need to buy a lot of space hogging diskettes to get strewn all over the place.

You might want to investigate << THIS OPTION >>.

The device can perform as TWO disk drives in your P-Box and you will never have to mess with head cleaners or worry about aging mechanical parts or lubrication issues. The device can even pay for itself over time because you'll not need to buy a lot of space hogging diskettes to get strewn all over the place.

Yes that's an option as a second driv. But I need a 5 1/4 for the hundreds of TI 99 software I have on disk.

I took the metal shield off and I can see the disk spin, I can see the heads move in and out and go to all 40 tracks when I format and then move all the way back. So the only thing I can think of is clean the heads. Anyone can please tell me how to get at the heads to clean them?

Thanks