IGNORED

What's your opinion on either version of Sonic 3D Blast?

Bubsy3000

Well, I guess with emulation, one could take advantage of save states... that is an option with the Wii VC version and any PC emulator. I believe the PC version has it.

Again, my experience with it is the Saturn version. It was okay to pull it out now and then for short doses. It is a quirky odd game that doesn't work well in many ways, and one of the first examples of Sonic games falling off the rails. I tried the Genesis version once on one of those completion discs (PS 3 I think). Ugh. Had they ported the Saturn version with saves, maybe I would have spent a little more time with it.

You obviously just hate birds. Bet you don't like New Zealand Story either! lol

Actually rather fond of New Zealand Story.

Had it on C64..then ST and currently have it on PSP.

Prefer it to Rainbow Islands.

I class Flicky up there with Alien Storm and Bonanza Bros.

Never seen what the fuss about with em.

Just remembered 7800 Desert Falcon..in my eyes a blocky Zaxxon clone (I like Zaxxon, Blue Max etc).

So..It's a bird thing

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

I think visually each version is somewhat interesting and there is some decent music to be heard, but the gameplay just fell flat on its face for me. The levels are a chore to get through with its focus on collecting Flickies, the platforming can be cumbersome thanks to the isometric view and slippery movement, and in the case of the Saturn version, long load times severely hamper the pacing of the experience. They lack the simple "pick-up-and-play" kind of design the original 2D games were known for and overall it just isn't all that much fun for me.

I could never shake the feeling at the time that the game was simply trying to say the Genesis still had some power left in it yet.

Traveller's Tales had proven themselves very capable on the hardware and here we had a rendered intro, isometric 3D viewpoint etc.

Lot of technical boxes ticked, but that didn't make for a fun Sonic title.

• Like 1

I own and have played through both the Genesis and Saturn versions. I think the best version of the game by far is the newely released Director's Cut by the programmer himself. He tightened up the controls, added a save system and tweaked the difficulty in places.

The saturn version has better graphics, but I actually prefer the FM tunes for most of the levels on the Genesis version as opposed to the Saturn's. The controls on the DX version are also better so the scales now tip in the Genesis version as the better of the two to play.

And yes, I like Sonic 3D Blast and Flicky as well.

I own and have played through both the Genesis and Saturn versions. I think the best version of the game by far is the newely released Director's Cut by the programmer himself. He tightened up the controls, added a save system and tweaked the difficulty in places.

The saturn version has better graphics, but I actually prefer the FM tunes for most of the levels on the Genesis version as opposed to the Saturn's. The controls on the DX version are also better so the scales now tip in the Genesis version as the better of the two to play.

And yes, I like Sonic 3D Blast and Flicky as well.

How did he release it? Is it a ROM or patch file or something? Ive seen his WIP videos for the game.

How did he release it? Is it a ROM or patch file or something? Ive seen his WIP videos for the game.

I believe he released it as an IPS compatible patch only. Let me see if I can find a link for it or his website page where he released it:

https://ttjontt.wixsite.com/gamehut/sonic-3d-blast-dx

There you go. It is actual an xdelta patch for the game but I know that already patched roms of it can be found with a little googlefu

Also it doesn't actually save your game progress. But you do get a new navigation map of sorts allowing you to replace previously completely levels to get better times etc. You do get a password code to continue where you left off at least. I've played through it and it was more fun to play overall. My only issues are that the bosses are still a bit too easy and the programmers difficulty tweaks were to actually make the game a bit easier than it was. But I think the 3d bonus levels were finally made to be a bit more difficult as I wasn't able to get all the chaos emeralds on the first go through.

I should look at getting this version put onto a cart...

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

I believe he released it as an IPS compatible patch only. Let me see if I can find a link for it or his website page where he released it:

https://ttjontt.wixsite.com/gamehut/sonic-3d-blast-dx

There you go. It is actual an xdelta patch for the game but I know that already patched roms of it can be found with a little googlefu

Also it doesn't actually save your game progress. But you do get a new navigation map of sorts allowing you to replace previously completely levels to get better times etc. You do get a password code to continue where you left off at least. I've played through it and it was more fun to play overall. My only issues are that the bosses are still a bit too easy and the programmers difficulty tweaks were to actually make the game a bit easier than it was. But I think the 3d bonus levels were finally made to be a bit more difficult as I wasn't able to get all the chaos emeralds on the first go through.

I should look at getting this version put onto a cart...

Very cool. Thanks for the info. I really like this guy. To go back and fix your games from 20+ years ago just for the love it is pretty amazing. Major props to him

• 3 weeks later...

I love the Mega Drive version of Sonic 3D, it's pretty much my favorite of the classic Sonic games. Sonic CD is also fantastic, I can never truly pick one top favorite of the two.

I have the Mega Drive version of Sonic 3D on PS2 as part of Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

I've played the Saturn version a few times and it's good too, I have the PC version myself, which is basically the Saturn version with an improved save game feature and slightly altered graphics for the bonus stages.

I really love the intro video, stage music and bonus stages in the Mega Drive version, and since those are the biggest differences between the three versions it makes it an easy winner for me, it's also arguably the most technically impressive version as it's running on so much more limited hardware while still pulling off pretty much the entire game without any issues, so it impresses me a lot more than the other two as well.

I do enjoy the added weather effects, the little extra animations on bridges and floor tiles when you walk over them and the higher color depth and added sprite detail of the 32-bit version, but I really hate the half-pipe bonus stages, they're nowhere near as bad as the ones offered in Sonic 2 but they're still not something I enjoy in the slightest, even when this vastly improved, and the music, while good, doesn't do it for me nearly as much as the Mega Drive chiptunes do.

So yeah, gimme the Mega Drive version any day, and I'll take the PC version over the Saturn version.

yea that's the same with the sega pc version (and it still runs fine in windows 10 if you can get your monitor down to 640x240 and 256 color as a windows desktop setting) its bright its sounds good (though since its based on the genesis version not as good) its quick and snappy, even on a 1994 pentium its just not that interesting

Or just use Sonic PC Reloaded which installs, patches and loads on modern PCs.

For me Sonic 3D Blast is just...ok. I don't mind it being a side game like Spinball (which also wasn't that great). But Sega kept promising Sonic Xtreme on the Saturn only to cancel it and release a port of a Genesis game instead and that's what the big disappointment really was.

Hadn't gotten around to try to DX patch so I don't know how much an improvement it was.