IGNORED

Is my GAMECUBE beyond repair? :(

Wyluli Wolf

Yep, I'm an idiot. I was going to add a region switch to my Gamecube and removed the heat sink to access the parts underneath it. What I didn't realize was that the heatsink screw holes actually protrude on the bottom side of the heatsink. Soooo, when I was twisting the heat sink back and forth to loosen it up, it was ripping tiny parts off the system board. :-o :_( :?
Looks like 3 parts were damaged. Tiny surface mount stuff. I believe two parts are resistors (no idea what value) but not a clue what the "larger" piece is. Any chance of repairing this or did I just screw myself out of a console? Ug (*Smacks head). Issues circled in red in the photo. The parts are pretty much destroyed and need replaced. The pads on DA15 are lifted also.

post-38599-0-25020900-1539546529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wyluli Wolf

Like masschamber stated, I think if you clean it up good and use something small, you can carefully put those lifted pads back where they belong as they still appear to be attached. Also don't forger to clean off that heatsink compound near R28 just to the Left of the Nintendo logo in your picture there between the CPU and GPU...as that looks to be crossing several conductive points on the board and could be....bad...

I'm going to have to take the minority view here and say you should start from scratch with a new Cube. It's not so much a case of "can it be repaired?" as "is it cost effective to repair?," and I'm not convinced it is. GameCubes are still relatively cheap (I bought one from Goodwill for $5 three years ago) and Wiis even more so. I think you should stash the old Cube away for parts and try this mod on another one.

Also, was there any reason you wanted a region switch? I just installed a Xeno chip in mine... it's got region free loading according to the spec sheet.

Looking at this again I think it may be a lost cause for me. The parts are so teeny tiny that I doubt I could get them back on. My hands are not that steady anymore and we are talking tiny parts.
I'm also having trouble identifying the parts as they do need replaced. The legs are bent and some may be broken off. I'll wager somebody could fix this so I will probably offer the system board up for free to someone that could use it for parts or repair it. It's one of the boards with the digital AV out also. I'll try to find a replacement system board.

I attempted to install the region switch so I could play original, not backup copies, of games from Japan. After this experience I think I will just go with the Xeno chip and forego the region switch lol.

Thanks guys!