IGNORED

Modern loading devices for Commodore C128?

256 colors

The top of the line solution would the 1541 Ultimate II+ which costs 139 Euros + shipping within the EU. It does everything you're asking for and more.

The new, hot thing that is capable of fully emulating a floppy drive, but perhaps doesn't handle tapes or cartridge images, would be the Pi1541 which consists of a suitable Raspberry Pi board, downloadable software plus a "hat" you connect to the Pi to get the IEC connection. A few different hats are available. Note that you need an external power supply for the Pi. If you don't have a spare Pi, the total costs of this solution might not be that far from the 1541U solution.

The old solution many find limited would be the SD2IEC category devices. Those handle the basics of a floppy drive, but don't emulate it fully so you might find that in particular demos and the rare game preserved in original format won't load. Also it doesn't try to handle tapes or cartridges.

When you mention tapes, are you thinking of T64 or TAP files? The former is to most part a container format that at least I find is easy to convert to files on a disk, and the latter is relatively uncommon.

• Like 2

Up until last week I thought the 1541 Ultimate series were possible to run in standalone mode, i.e. not plugged into a cartridge port (used on a different Commodore computer). It appears I may have misunderstood its operation, and that no longer is possible?

The other solutions though should be compatible with all the IEC devices: VIC-20, C64, C16, Plus/4, C128 and variants thereof.

Up until last week I thought the 1541 Ultimate series were possible to run in standalone mode, i.e. not plugged into a cartridge port (used on a different Commodore computer). It appears I may have misunderstood its operation, and that no longer is possible?

Stand alone mode was taken out between the first 1541U and the U2 if memory serves; a clunky solution is to have a 1541U2 connected to a C64 as host and running the serial cable to another machine, I've at least tried that on a VIC in the past.

I have used my pi1541 with both the C128 and Plus 4. Works great and is much cheaper than the 1541 Ultimate.

I've had a few crashes over the last couple of days on demos where the fastloader just hiccups and dies, 1991 by Booze is the first one that springs to mind if memory serves but there were a couple of others...

Edited by TMR