IGNORED

Sensitive ports on the backs of systems

GTS

Hi there, big time collector and first time posting. I am having ongoing issues with several systems, and they all seem to be related:

Master System-When I turn it on, I get sound but no picture. However, if I gently grab the end of the composite cord (right where it connects to the system) and pull it upward a tiny bit, the picture comes through. The minute I let go, the picture goes away. Also, I can only do this if the connector is slight pulled out. It it's all the way in, there's no picture, and no cord adjustment brings it back.

Atari 7800-The same issue pretty much. Sometimes I have to move the RF connector (right where it connects to the system) a little bit to get the picture to come it. Unlike the SMS, I can let go after jiggling it and it functions fine.

Sega Saturn-If I have moved the Saturn a little bit, the video signal becomes scrambled. I have to push the S-video connector into the back a certain way, and then the video returns to normal and stays that way.

I'm pretty sure it's not the cords themselves, because I'm not adjusting the position of the cords that much. Just the part that goes into the connector on the back of the system. I'm thinking I should open the systems up and resolder the ports to the board. Maybe the plugging and unplugging over the years has caused the connection to the board to come loose. Either that, or maybe the ports have become worn down and need replacement.

Do you have any advice? Is this a common problem with consoles?

Thanks!

Could be any of the three. Cracked solder joints, bad/dirty/loose contacts, or bad/intermittent/broken conductors inside the cable.

All it takes is a fraction of a millimeter movement to make or break the electrical path. So I would examine and address all three aspects to ensure reliability.

Edited by Keatah