IGNORED

Ranking the NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy according to difficulty

mbd30

The first Ninja Gaiden is the overall easiest. The difficulty doesn't really kick in until the fifth act. It is very challenging to beat for the first time because of sending you back when dying at the final boss. But once you have the everything memorized it's not too bad. Even when I'm rusty, I can usually pop it in and breeze through most of it from muscle memory.

I would say that Ninja Gaiden II is an overall step up in difficulty compared to the first. There are environmental conditions such as ice, water and wind that can be annoying. And the game just gets harder earlier on. However in some ways it's easier. The birds don't do as much damage. You're not sent back as far when you die to the final bosses. So it's a little less frustrating for beginners to beat, even though the game is more difficult overall.

Most would agree that Ninja Gaiden III is the hardest. Enemies do more damage. Limited continues. I think that it's the hardest because of how much it kicks my ass when I'm rusty. Last time I played, I couldn't even beat the third act. And I've beaten the game many times. There's so much that you have to remember. It's almost comparable to Battletoads, IMO. But I can always pop in either of the first two games and still perform reasonably well even when I'm rusty.

The Ninja Gaiden trilogy reminds me of the Streets of Rage trilogy in a way.

The first one was great.

The second one was a masterpiece and superseded the original in pretty much every way.

The third one was weird and forgotten.

To stay on topic, I never even bothered trying to finish NG3. Something about it felt off from the start, and as soon as I saw the limited continues I said "nope, I got better things to do."

Edited by deepthaw

The Ninja Gaiden trilogy reminds me of the Streets of Rage trilogy in a way.

The first one was great.

The second one was a masterpiece and superseded the original in pretty much every way.

The third one was weird and forgotten.

To stay on topic, I never even bothered trying to finish NG3. Something about it felt off from the start, and as soon as I saw the limited continues I said "nope, I got better things to do."

NG3 has floatier jumping. Maybe that's why it felt off.

I really like it. It's just hard. Unlike the first two, you can't "beat" it through endless credit feeding. You have to get good. On the other hand, at least the enemies don't respawn and the sword upgrade makes it much easier to hit them.

All three games are undoubtedly tough. They require a lot of memorization and if you aren't familiar with them, you will get wrecked. On the other hand, much like the early Castlevania games, they aren't too bad to deal with when you get really familiar with them. The issue is, not a lot of people get to that point, particularly with Part III.

Each game does have certain things that make them considerably easier once you are familiar with them:

a. Ninja Gaiden: The Spin Slash attack that nails bosses in one hit and pretty much makes you invincible in the air;

b. Ninja Gaiden II: The shadow ninjas that triple your firepower, allowing you to clear an entire screen with a single sub-weapon use, along with mowing down bosses quickly and easily when layering the ninjas properly;

c. Ninja Gaiden III: The overpowered sub-weapons, larger sword and more room for mistakes via less knockback. Also, the fire shield that lets you walk through spikes.

Overall Part III is definitely the toughest to learn and is the most punishing. It has the nastiest final stage with super tight, methodical platforming, not to mention a tight timer (it's the only game in the series where I run out of time consistently at the final part). The lack of infinite continues discourages players to keep trying at it. Just like the others though, if you persevere and learn the patterns, much of the game is pretty consistent in difficulty with the other games, as long as you are taking advantage of the big sword and the sub-weapons it deals you.

For new players, I do recommend playing the Japanese version of Part III to ease yourself in. It has less enemies, more instances of the fire shield (again, spike invincibility), infinite continues and a password save system if you don't want to do it all in one sitting.

I always felt Part II was the easiest. It definitely has some things that can make it more aggravating, such as the greater knockback difference, but your double shadow ninjas are severely over powered. You can clear entire screens with ease, and you have more flexibility in doing this more frequently thanks to being able to attack while on walls (which you cannot do in the first game).

Part I has a really good balance, in my opinion. With one slip-up you lose your spin slash and at that point your life can be made pretty difficult if you don't have every enemy, pattern and spawn position memorized.

If you do sword-only, no sub-weapon (or shadow ninja) runs (which I've been trying lately), the difficulty definitely changes. Part 2 is considerably more difficult than Part 1 in that regard. Part 3 might even be easier than 2 in this regard if you allow yourself the big sword, harder if you do not.

• Like 1

I gree with the OP. People seem to exaggerate the difficulty of the first one.

My brother and I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 the day after we got it as kids.

For Ninja Gaiden 3 the only way to compare it the other two is to play the Famicom version. The enemies do twice the damage in the international release, and there are limited continues. It's just ridiculous.

I gree with the OP. People seem to exaggerate the difficulty of the first one.

My brother and I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 the day after we got it as kids.

For Ninja Gaiden 3 the only way to compare it the other two is to play the Famicom version. The enemies do twice the damage in the international release, and there are limited continues. It's just ridiculous.

Streets of Rage already came up in this thread but heres another parallel. Bare Knuckle 3 is way better in the Japanese release.

2 is my favorite. American release of 3 is definitely the hardest. The first is the easiest. Ill let you decide which series I mean. ;)

Contra Hard Corps was criminal.

I prefer English translated Japanese ROMs for all 3 of these games, btw.

I was actually going to ask if people consider this "cheating?"

I got surprisingly far in Contra Hard Corps US version when I was younger, but if I was to revisit it today I doubt I'd have the time and perseverance to force my way through it.

I was actually going to ask if people consider this "cheating?"

No.. not at all. And even if "people" did think of it as such, who the heck cares? :lol: Play your games man.

As for me, I'll continue playing the japanese version of Contra Hard Corps.. hopefully next time on the Mega SG. :)

NG3 has floatier jumping. Maybe that's why it felt off.

I really like it. It's just hard. Unlike the first two, you can't "beat" it through endless credit feeding. You have to get good. On the other hand, at least the enemies don't respawn and the sword upgrade makes it much easier to hit them.

Any game were you get pushed back at death isn't a credit feeder in my opinion, you have to be pretty good at ninja gaiden 1 or 2 to beat them even if you can continue infinitely.

regardless

and all three are good games, 3 is just somewhat less good,

Contra Hard Corps and Alien Wars are good games, but I suck at them. They're so unforgiving. I prefer the original NES Contra because I'm much better at it. I've no deathed NES Contra.

yeah contra 1 is kind of cake if you play well.

if you're interested in a new game that is very classic contra like you can try my game

• 4 years later...

Agree with the majority here... definitely the third one. The amount of enemies it throws at you alone makes it difficult - act 5 for instance. I never really cared for Ninja Gaiden III back then and even  now. Difficulty wasn't the issue for me but the whole sci-fi theme doesn't work. Some levels even look bland compared to the second one. Does it also seems like this one plays slower than the predecessors?

Ninja Gaiden I and II are on par for me difficulty wise... maybe a slight edge to the first one more difficult than the first.