Photo

Empty NOS Jaguar cartridge?

11 replies to this topic

#1 99catfights OFFLINE  

99catfights

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:27 PM

I just bought a sealed copy of Iron Soldier and to my dismay I found it was completely empty and devoid of a circuit board. Was this an uncommon factory defect or was I duped? It looks completely legit otherwise like all the other NOS Jag games Ive purchased: old hangtab under the seal, guide ad and Jag club mailer, manual, real overlay, etc. Doesnt seem worth the trouble for $30 if it was intentional and the seller offered a refund without me needing to send it back. Maybe this is rare and valuable :P

http://i64.tinypic.com/14mzw35.jpg

#2 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,798 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:36 PM

Most likely bad luck. I don't know how one would've removed the PCB without taking the screws out which are beneath the label. 

#3 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 4,410 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 5:10 PM

I just bought a sealed copy of Iron Soldier and to my dismay I found it was completely empty and devoid of a circuit board. Was this an uncommon factory defect or was I duped? It looks completely legit otherwise like all the other NOS Jag games Ive purchased: old hangtab under the seal, guide ad and Jag club mailer, manual, real overlay, etc. Doesnt seem worth the trouble for $30 if it was intentional and the seller offered a refund without me needing to send it back. Maybe this is rare and valuable :P

http://i64.tinypic.com/14mzw35.jpg

It's about as rare and valuable as an OPENED / non-working Iron Soldier cart for the Atari Jaguar... lol.

Yeah, that's bad luck. This is a pretty big screw-up I think... not as bad as broken 5200 joysticks... but still. Pretty uncommon.

#4 99catfights OFFLINE  

99catfights

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 5:22 PM

Go figure, I wait years to pull the trigger on this game and win the 1 in 10,000 worthless empty cart lottery :)

#5 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 631 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 5:46 PM

Go figure, I wait years to pull the trigger on this game and win the 1 in 10,000 worthless empty cart lottery :)

Stick it on ebay:

"ZOMG L@@K! SPECIAL EMPTY CART EDISHUN!!1"

Someone will part with a couple of hundred for that. ;)

#6 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,214 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 5:47 PM

Would it make you feel any better if the cart was in the shell, but didn't work anyway? :lol:

#7 99catfights OFFLINE  

99catfights

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 6:03 PM

Stick it on ebay:

"ZOMG L@@K! SPECIAL EMPTY CART EDISHUN!!1"

Someone will part with a couple of hundred for that. ;)

LOL! When life gives you lemons..

@save2600, strangely I feel the empty cart is a more satisfying failure ;)

#8 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 4,410 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 6:26 PM

Lol... odds might have even been greater than that!

#9 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,264 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 PM

That's the rare "dust cover" edition of the game :D their pretty hard to come by.

Kind of sucks, especially if your wanting the game, but kind of neat though. I don't know about the state of Atari at this time, but Atari and most others often had an automated system to "test" each cart before packaging it, so to get an empty shell has to be rare. (In quotes due to the machine basically jaming the cart into a device that only made sure there was electrical contact)

#10 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 3,406 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:06 AM

....or maybe the seller wanted to stay under the radar with a cheap price assuming nobody would open a sealed copy of anything marked Jaguar ...

more likely though just bad luck.

#11 99catfights OFFLINE  

99catfights

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:58 AM

Yes, I was upset and suspicious at first since I was excited to try the game, but Im now convinced it was a factory defect. I once bought a sealed CD right off a Best Buy shelf and it was an empty case too. Luckily I hadnt left the parking lot and they refunded me. I have amazing luck to attract these 😅.

Since he refunded me and let me keep it, Im actually happy to have it now - a fitting case study of Atari close to the end of its rope!
  • jhd likes this

#12 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,077 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:05 AM

@save2600, strangely I feel the empty cart is a more satisfying failure ;)

For about 45% of the Jaguar's library of cartridge games, leaving the PCB out of the cartridge is actually an improvement. Iron Soldier is not one of those, however.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users