The AtariAge Forum is undergoing a major upgrade today.  The forum is currently in read-only mode except for the Announcements Forum.  Please read this important post!

Photo

Flashback 9 Gold paddle issue

60 replies to this topic

#51 wongojack ONLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,413 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2019 12:46 PM

I would have preferred AtGames provide a solution but it wasn't meant to be.

Looking at that site I'm not actually sure what the solution is for Flashback 9 HDMI owners.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2600daptor will not work with the FB9 for paddles.  My point is that the FB9 is just running an emulator called Stella.  You can run this emulator on many other devices that can be used with original paddles (unaltered) using the 2600daptor.

I will also point out that even when running the most recent version of Stella on a modern gaming PC, the paddle latency is (despite the best efforts of the community) still quite laggy.  The way the paddle position is read depends on some variables that are simply much faster with original hardware on a CRT TV.  I've tested this extensively with Kaboom - you just can't get the same scores in Stella as you can on the real thing.  In that way it is like the Mike Tyson's Punch Out of VCS games.

My point is that even if you get paddles to work on your computer or on the FB9, the experience is still a far distance from the original thing.  If you don't have original hardware, you'd be better off just running an emulator on your computer occasionally to get your Kaboom fix.  Hacking up paddles to interface with an inferior experience takes you even farther away from what you ultimately are after.

#52 Jimmygtr OFFLINE  

Jimmygtr

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2019 1:49 PM

...Hacking up paddles to interface with an inferior experience takes you even farther away from what you ultimately are after.

Agree to disagree. FB9 with working paddles suits me just fine (speaking as one who got a 2600 Atari for Christmas 1978)

#53 Jimmygtr OFFLINE  

Jimmygtr

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2019 10:32 AM

Going by eye, it looks like it should fit. The knob is quite a bit smaller than the original, but should be OK. The Bourns pots I bought turned up a couple of days ago. They are very smooth action, so a smaller knob shouldnt be a big issue.

Does p230-2FA25BR10K look suitable?Attached File  P230-1528188.pdf   601.68KB   14 downloads

#54 boggis the cat OFFLINE  

boggis the cat

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Wed May 8, 2019 8:20 AM

Does p230-2FA25BR10K look suitable?

Based on that spec sheet, I think that you need a P230 2 F x 25 B R10K. The x is ‘doesn’t matter’, as the Atari paddles have no particular required end stops.

To be sure, compare it with my Bourns potentiometer. The bushing length (the 2 above) is fairly critical, so double-check it. The Bourns is 10 mm, this has either 9.5 mm or 11 mm, so I have selected the 9.5 mm — but it may be best to measure the existing one and choose the best fit.

You will have to grind down the flat further to fit the knob, or modify the knob. Unfortunately they don’t seem to make the half-flatted type of pots any more that are in the original paddles.

#55 Jimmygtr OFFLINE  

Jimmygtr

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Wed May 8, 2019 8:44 AM

Based on that spec sheet, I think that you need a P230 2 F x 25 B R10K. The x is ‘doesn’t matter’, as the Atari paddles have no particular required end stops.

To be sure, compare it with my Bourns potentiometer. The bushing length (the 2 above) is fairly critical, so double-check it. The Bourns is 10 mm, this has either 9.5 mm or 11 mm, so I have selected the 9.5 mm — but it may be best to measure the existing one and choose the best fit.

You will have to grind down the flat further to fit the knob, or modify the knob. Unfortunately they don’t seem to make the half-flatted type of pots any more that are in the original paddles.

Sounds good. Thank you Boggis the Cat!

#56 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,875 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2019 10:48 AM

I don't have a Flashback nine for a couple of reasons, but for those that don't want to modify existing paddles, although I believe it must be reversible, bohoki may have a simple external adapter solution. Copying this from another thread:

"So we’re stuck with modding existing paddles, or waiting for Atgames to actually produce compatible paddles?"

Maybe try this: resistor in parallel on each axis: one connecting pin 5 to pin 8 and one connecting pin 9 to pin 8.

http://atariage.com/...ters/?p=2144872

#57 boggis the cat OFFLINE  

boggis the cat

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 AM

I don't have a Flashback nine for a couple of reasons, but for those that don't want to modify existing paddles, although I believe it must be reversible, bohoki may have a simple external adapter solution. Copying this from another thread:

"So we’re stuck with modding existing paddles, or waiting for Atgames to actually produce compatible paddles?"

Maybe try this: resistor in parallel on each axis: one connecting pin 5 to pin 8 and one connecting pin 9 to pin 8.

http://atariage.com/...ters/?p=2144872

That doesn’t work as it is not linear. Consider putting a fixed 10 kOhm resistor in parallel with the 1 MOhm potentiometer. At zero position you get 0 MOhm // 10 kOhm = 0 kOhm, which is correct; then set the pot half way, where you want 5 kOhm, 0.5 MOhm // 10 kOhm = 9.8 kOhm, ... oops. To get 5 kOhm you have to wind the pot up to only 0.01 MOhm (10 kOhm).

So doing this converts your linear paddle to a logarithmic paddle, which is useless.

The pot swapping mod is reversible, if you keep the old pots.

#58 Forrest OFFLINE  

Forrest

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 PM

I decided to build a new set of paddle controllers to use with my FB9 Gold HD. I used the 10K single turn Bourns potentiometers mentioned in post 35. I mounted them in 2 1/2 inch diameter x 2 inch high wood boxes I bought at www.acmoore.com for $1 each. I completed the paddles with N.O. push buttons and sacrificed 1 Atari Keyboard controller for the connector/cable. The Keyboard controller is one of the few devices that has all 9 pins connected. The second paddle controller is wired to the first using 4 wire phone cable. I used knobs purchased from Radio Shack years ago. 

The paddles work well - my Breakout score is improving. The knob has to be rotated nearly stop to stop to play the game. This is different from the original Atari paddles on a Atari 8 bit computer - where only about 1/2 a turn is required.

Attached Thumbnails

• Atari Flashback Paddle1.jpg

#59 Jimmygtr OFFLINE  

Jimmygtr

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 PM

Those are pretty dang cool.

#60 Forrest OFFLINE  

Forrest

Chopper Commander

• 222 posts

Posted Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 PM

Just wondering if a 20K potentiometer would work better for this application. You would only have to turn the knob 1/2 a turn to go from 0K to 10K.

I'm not sure if the extra 10K of resistance would be a problem.

#61 Jimmygtr OFFLINE  

Jimmygtr

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Tue May 21, 2019 1:47 PM

I wondered about 15k and 20k myself but the 10k are working just fine for me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users