IGNORED

what 3rd party light gun should i be looking for

chewy

Dang. Considering how much two of those folks are requesting for shipping, I think I'd rather rummage around Best Electronics' website to find a price on a NOS edition. Or get their rather ugly 3rd Party one.

And yes, the Atari XG-1 Light Gun is compatible with the 2600/7800 as well as the XE Game System and the rest of the Atari 8-bit computers. [but not the 5200]. I've seen pics posted to Facebook of a light gun adapter for the Atari ST that connects to its Parallel Printer Port but the XG-1 won't work on the standard DB9s reserved for Joysticks and ST Mice.

One may also find XG-1 light guns that have all Atari branding stripped from them except for the Fuji logo on the connector housing itself. Atari Corp sold them via OEM sales to a company that made light gun games for the Commodore 64 and they came in plain brown cardboard boxes when they were sold to Commodore dealers. I saw this with my own eyes and I kick myself for not having bought one back in 1988 when I wanted to get a light gun for 7800 Crossbow but I didn't want to have to buy an XEGS to get it and Atari Corp wasn't selling the light gun on its own through Atari Explorer/The Atarian magazines, it wasn't being sold at any local independent Atari dealer [ComputerTime in Citrus Heights, Computer Warehouse in Sac, or Safari Computers in Woodland], in Atari Corp owned Federated Group stores, at none of the retailers like Toys R Us or Kay Bee Toys who were selling Atari consoles and games, etc. [same with the Atari EuroPads, and the later ST Power Pads, I might add]. But the local Commodore dealer had them but he wouldn't guarantee they'd work on the 7800 so I didn't buy one with my precious money and opted to continue playing the game in joystick mode. Alas...

Interestingly enough, this website mentions the "Marpes" light gun which appears to be the same design as the one Best Electronics sells. The person who wrote this entry on the webpage mentions when he opened up the light gun, Atari was written on the PCB. So maybe at some point, Atari XG-1 PCBs were being crammed into this particular light gun...

http://home.kpn.nl/bderogee1980/projects/lightgun/Magnum_light_phaser.html

Edited by Lynxpro

The cheetah and marpes guns seem to be bootlegs of the Best Electronics gun. The PCBs probably say Atari because the Best gun was originally designed for the Atari systems.

Mitch

How do you figure? The Cheetah and Marpes guns were available back when the Commodore 64 and the Atari 7800 were still in production. If I'm not mistaken, Best Electronics didn't carry such light guns until after the 7800 was long discontinued. If anything, Best Electronics bought up the remaining stock of the Marpes and re-branded it as *their* light gun.

As for the PCBs, Atari Corp probably sold them to those companies back then.

As I stated before, I "discovered" for myself the OEM version of the Atari XG-1 at a local Commodore dealer [Putt's - The Commodore Store]. Since the owner wouldn't guarantee it would work on the 7800, even though it appeared to be the very same Atari light gun, I didn't buy it. Had it been carried at, say, ComputerTime!, which had a decent return policy, I would've taken the chance and bought it back then [circa 1988].