IGNORED

Does anyone know anything about the Atari SF314

rcamp48

Does anyone know anything about the Atari SF414 single sided external floppy drive unit? I basically have one in pieces, the top half and power connector and the bottom half with mounts plus the power supply. I am missing the drive cable and possibly an inner tray to mount the drive. If I am to put in a modern drive do I set the jumper in it to ds1 (I am using t as drive B). If anyone is interested I am waiting for my friend to desolder the power board's floppy cable and put in a socket for the new internal drive cable and put in a longer power cable for me. Should cost around $15-$20 Can for him to do this. Let me know if anyone wants this done with an external drive. Russ

There was no SF414.

The SF314 was a double-sided drive. The SF354 was single sided.

To answer your question, set the drive to drive 0. The 14 pin connectors on the Power and IO board swap the DS1 signal to DS0 on the second floppy connector, meaning that the second drive in the chain would think it was DS0 but would respond to signals for DS1.

post-10949-0-64896100-1544676548_thumb.png

In later ST machine, the internal drive was DS0 and the external drive was DS1.

Pay attention when you are installing a replacement 34 pin floppy disk connector. On my SF354 the stripe in the cable was on pin 34, not pin 1.

Ok thanks typo on sf414, I have an sf314....pin one goes to pin 1 on external floppy I have 3 Atari STs 1 an ste ,, the 2nd a 1040stfm and the 3rd a 520 st with 512 K, the sf314 would have its drive set as ds0 then?

I will have to extend my cables after all

Russ