IGNORED

HSC Season 10 - Game 3 - Q*BERT

scalpel

Hey Hey ;)

You'll see, the controller is perfect for Q*Bert! I played a lot ^^

I just played a few rounds and I have to say that the Q*bert conversion is much better than the Frogger one. :thumbsup:

I still have issue with the controllers: the brain-dead programmer decided to leave "dead-zones" on the disc and actually expects you to press the perfect diagonals! :mad: If my thumb strays a bit to the side (because I'm sort of pre-programmed to press the cardinal points on the disc already), it won't respond at all!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Still, not a bad game at all, and lots of fun! Here are my scores for the moment:

First game in, like, forevah!

post-27318-0-95614500-1546533617_thumb.jpg

Next game, I did a little better ...

post-27318-0-85837100-1546533622_thumb.jpg

Getting better and better!

post-27318-0-16373900-1546533628_thumb.jpg

Some major progress then ...

post-27318-0-92055200-1546533633_thumb.jpg

A breakthrough! Final score: 6,750

post-27318-0-59032000-1546533639_thumb.jpg

What a fun game! I will definitely play more later. Even my wife likes watching me play. (Actually, she is a Q*bert champion on the arcade and MAME versions, but won't touch the Intellivision version. She says the "controllers are stupid." Tough for her with that attitude -- she gets to watch while I have all the fun! :lol: )

-dZ.

• Like 2

Twelve of the 16 directions are programmed, i.e. all 12 diagonals. I suppose they could have programmed N,E,S,W but you might get an unexpected result. It's much better than an 8-way controller, most of those version have you rotate the controller 45d.

• Like 1

Twelve of the 16 directions are programmed, i.e. all 12 diagonals. I suppose they could have programmed N,E,S,W but you might get an unexpected result.

It's just lazy or naïve programming. In a controller without discrete affordances for pressure points like the Intellivision's, dead zones are never a good solution -- especially if you expect users to use a rotated input pattern, which is orthogonal to its design. You can use simple heuristics to reduce ambiguity and avoid those unexpected results you mentioned. It has been done before, you know. ;)

Then again, this was perhaps "pretty good" back in the day, and that's fine. However, it's a lesson that modern programmers should learn now: there's no excuse for this sort of lazy "1:1" mapping of directions to the screen.

-dZ.

I just played a few rounds and I have to say that the Q*bert conversion is much better than the Frogger one. :thumbsup:

I still have issue with the controllers: the brain-dead programmer decided to leave "dead-zones" on the disc and actually expects you to press the perfect diagonals! :mad: If my thumb strays a bit to the side (because I'm sort of pre-programmed to press the cardinal points on the disc already), it won't respond at all!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Still, not a bad game at all, and lots of fun! Here are my scores for the moment:

First game in, like, forevah!

attachicon.gifIMG_5034.JPG

Next game, I did a little better ...

attachicon.gifIMG_5035.JPG

Getting better and better!

attachicon.gifIMG_5036.JPG

Some major progress then ...

attachicon.gifIMG_5037.JPG

A breakthrough! Final score: 6,750

attachicon.gifIMG_5038.JPG

What a fun game! I will definitely play more later. Even my wife likes watching me play. (Actually, she is a Q*bert champion on the arcade and MAME versions, but won't touch the Intellivision version. She says the "controllers are stupid." Tough for her with that attitude -- she gets to watch while I have all the fun! :lol: )

-dZ.

Good to know you like the game :)

What is your wife's score on Arcade/Mame?

Try until to have score 30,000 please

Twelve of the 16 directions are programmed, i.e. all 12 diagonals. I suppose they could have programmed N,E,S,W but you might get an unexpected result. It's much better than an 8-way controller, most of those version have you rotate the controller 45d.

Nice to know! Thanks :)

Now, it's time to play for a great score!

Wow! How are people getting those scores? What am I missing? Is there a trick or am I really that bad?

No tricks its about timing and using the disks to kill the spring dude. When you kill him everyone on the screen disappears.

Im stuck on the double jump level. Lol

Also using the stun green ball helps and saves you.

???

Also a few beers in You helps keep you loose. Lol. ????