Photo

Interesting and abandoned projects.

36 replies to this topic

#26 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,370 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 1:42 PM

I will do that when I get a few extra moments. All my spare time right now is dedicated to finishing up the packaging on the new game. Once that's done, I will put some time into Beryl and a few of the other projects I'm working on right now. :)

I have all code, commented and very clean.... I know the answer is staring me in the face... I'm just not seeing it.

#27 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,425 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:07 PM

If you can share a zip file with the complete program so we can use Classic99 to debug in and find out what's going on, along with the assembly source code, I'm sure we can figure out what's going wrong pretty fast. :)

#28 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,370 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:10 PM

I'll give you everything I've got. :)

#29 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,370 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:05 PM

Just played through the demo again. You know, it really is a neat little thing, that.... it is more complete than I remember-- you can seek council from the Forestia wise man (who helps you with clues on what to do next) you can fully complete the first level quests (without having to fight bad guys, at least)-- you can drink potions, cast peacetime spells... And the code is actually smaller than I remember it being. I think that's because I made the decision to load all text from diskette during council, and that made a huge space impact. If I fix the SAVE issue and finish my battle engine, this damn thing will be playable!

#30 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 342 posts

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2019 3:01 AM

I have sound assets for Bruce Lee if you are interested.  It looks great!

I'll take what you got, is it all the sound effects or just the music?

#31 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,862 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:48 PM

I'll take what you got, is it all the sound effects or just the music?

I had not finished all of the sfx but I have most of them plus the music.

#32 Bones-69 OFFLINE  

Bones-69

Chopper Commander

• 212 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 PM

I have so many it is depressing. My problem is that when life gets in the way and I eventually return (even after just a few weeks), I have lost the thought process completely and can't even follow my own code. I need to learn how to document things so I can pick-up where I left off. I invested literally a few hundred hours in a single game (an adventure), and it is all gone. 

#33 InfernalKeith OFFLINE  

InfernalKeith

Dragonstomper

• 717 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone in this.  I started half a dozen threads here years ago for projects I never got finished, thinking that documenting them publicly would hold me to account.  It did not.

Working on resurrecting a few of those ideas, but trying to stay quiet about them until I have something at least ready to test.

I did clean a year's worth of crap off my desk today and I sorted and filed a ton of pen-and-paper coding notes, so it's a start.

#34 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,862 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 AM

To this end, I think in my family I will institute a sort-of Boxing Day, where we spend a day cleaning up rooms, offices, etc. to sweep up the clutter which has collected over the year in preparation for the upcoming new year so we can really start anew.  A late-year Spring Cleaning, if you will.

#35 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,420 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 PM

Abandoned projects? How'd I miss this thread? I have a whole survey list ;)

http://harmlesslion....walrusquery.cgi

#36 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,594 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 AM

I don't know if this is relevant here, but the memory is not cleared in the lower 8K where your assembly routines would normally reside when you break and restart an XB program. I'm not sure what Matthew's routine is exactly doing, but it might be something to look at. Perhaps you can post the code for that routine?

Basically an assembly routine and map data is loaded via CALL LOAD.  Then the visible map window can be updated with animation via the included display/scroll routine.  The entire map is 56x72 tiles, displayed in a 28x12 "window" (so there are 2x6 "windows" of map).

This thread (on page 8) has the bulk of the posts with the code, complete with long winded descriptions and videos:

http://atariage.com/...-project/page-8

#37 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,370 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 AM

Indeed.  The bug has now been "squashed."  Adam helped me look at the code through new eyes and the problem became evident.  He pointed out a couple of areas of potential conflict with how I was saving and loading the coordinates, and we determined that there was a small issue with the subroutine for the map-setting code.  

Thanks again to matthew180 for giving me this lovely scrolling gift, and to Adam for helping me fix the issue I had. :)  I have made some pretty substantial progress in the game since my last video update, and when I get some of these other projects off my plate, I will return to this game and hopefully find a way to make it playable.  All the quest points are in place for the first world... you can actually play through the whole world and find the items you need to exit to the next world... it's getting there.  I was making some significant progress in 2015 when this little issue occurred, and then progress stopped... It was a combination of frustration with the bug, a hard drive crash, and a few life-altering career changes and a cross-country move that put this thing on the back burner.  Now that I'm settled (for now) I look forward to getting back to the game at some point.  :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users