IGNORED

Just Cause 4 - Is this a last gen game?

Yakumo1975

I've been getting in to Just Cause 4 the last few days but I can't help but think it's a last gen game. Compared to RDR2, Tomb Raider, Neir Automata and so on, this just looks odd. It's glitchy as hell too but the physics are great fun to mess around with.

I did noticed that the airline pilots are kamikaze pilots though.

It's using an updated last generation game engine:

"Just Cause 4 was developed by Avalanche Studios and published by Square Enix. The game uses a new version of Avalanche's Apex game engine. The new technology allows the game to feature diverse and extreme weather effects, including blizzards, sandstorms, tornadoes and more. Developers of the game noted that improvements had been made to the game's artificial intelligence over Just Cause 3. These changes were intended to make non-player characters smarter so that they behave more tactically and pose more of a threat to the player. Other improvements to the game engine include physics-based rendering and a new animation system."

From what i read of the game itself at the time,it seemed simply unfinished cue massive patches afterwards to try and remedy some of the key issues.

Sadly,releases like this are becoming more and more common place, rather than a rare occupancy.

Release today and patch tomorrow and keep patching for weeks afterwards.

• Like 1

There are lots of problems with modern games but I think these kind of opinions are fairly unfair.

Fallout 4 was a huge step from New Vegas in terms of gameplay, what with adding the whole settlement building/caring for layer, working factions plus tweaking the combat system and AI to the extent that it's probably one of the best ever in videogaming. Due to the complexity of the world and environments, where mundane objects matter and have their own physics, the bigger buildings/dungeons are separate zones, so yeah, NPCS do disappear. I think it's a small trade off. One reason I do respect Bethesda on the design level for is precisely that - they concentrate on meaningful and substantial additions to gameplay, instead of pumping most of the the resources into rewriting gfx and Holywood-level story production values. And besides that, FO4/Skyrim can still look amazing, if you consider that the draw distance leads to actual location, not a prop or a skybox. And if you try some of the ENBs or ReShades out there, then they can be still made to look like next gen games, or beyond.

Most videogame series out there utilize old engines which are built upon and adapted for new hardware. That applies to all your GTAs, CODs, Battlefields and other graphical hard-hitters Sure, devs of flagship franchises, with backing of huge behemoths such as Rockstar or EA have more resources to tweak, polish and add more gfx bells & whistles to their games, others might not. Even so, it's very rare that a company has time and money to write a completely new engine from scratch, given how complex modern games are.

Given that complexity, it's also to be expected that there will be bugs, no matter how many hours you spend beta testing. But even so, the critique is often down to the gamer's perception - some franchises will be perenially slated (Bethesda, anything Ubi or EA) because they're the bad guys and some will be given a pass - Witcher or Deus Ex for example. That despite the fact that the former's first two games needed an Enchanced Edition to be even playable and the 3rd game in series only patched something as important as player movement much later on. Even the fan favourite, RDR2 got recently criticized for similar problem, despite it coming from R*, one of the richest companies out there.

QUIET, old person talking!

Higher resolutions and faster frame rates are great, but in terms of design and fun of console games, it feels like we hit the point of diminishing returns about ten years ago.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary, there are always exceptions, etc ... especially since I haven't spent much time with so-called AAA games in a long time.

... but there's a reason we see so many throwback retro remakes, and mobile hardware (incl Nintendo Switch, which is just a tablet) is home to many of the best experiences these days.

• Like 3

We aren't even seeing faster frame rates though are we?

Club Drive on PS4 for all it achieved, ambition wise,once fully patched :@ was a 30 FPS racing game.

Hence why we've seen the PS Pro and Xbox 1 S (the 900P vs 1080P Xbox One Vs PS4), to try and close the gap as games demand more and more fancy,real time effects etc from hardware.