IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2019)

carlsson

Here are my times for this past week (May 13th through 19th) on modern systems...

Wii:

Wii Fit - 30 min.

Today I visited the daughter of my father's cousin (what is that to me?) Sylvia who has a Wii, and she let me play her Balance Board (not to confuse with a Hoverboard!) with the Wii Fit cartridge. The 30 minutes time is as measured by the game itself... it's what you should do as a day's fitness unit.

• Like 4

Space Dragon Force (PC) 124 mins This is my game... still in development. Game time has been play testing...

It's a 2D Sprite based shoot 'em up inspired by the Soldier series (mostly Soldier Blade). I'm developing it for PC first but I would love to port it to classic 16 consoles but I don't know how to program for them...

• Like 4

I started my FF X-2 game over because I wanted to do things differently- it is going *much* better this time. I'm almost finished with Chapter 2 and have a little over 40% completion. :)

Tetris 99 also saw some play since I was trying to get my 100 points to unlock a new theme for my game. My daughter has been playing Pianista on my Switch so if it's cool I'm going to throw this on my Switch count as well.

PS2:

Final Fantasy X-2 -- 1385 minutes

Switch:

Pianista -- 453 minutes

Tetris 99 -- 180 minutes

• Like 3

Ineligible
Doom (Sega 32X) - 247 minutes
Virtua Racing Deluxe (Sega 32X) - 185 minutes

Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - 213 minutes
Metroid: Zero Mission - 23 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Fe - 375 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,043 minutes (17 hours 23 minutes) [611 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega 32X: 432 minutes
Nintendo Switch: 375 minutes
Game Boy Advance: 236 minutes

• Like 2

PC

Crusader Kings 2 (1574 min)

Watching some history videos on the Crusades on YouTube last weekend led to me firing up CK2 for the first time in 7 years, and now I'm obsessed with trying to reconstruct the Reconquista of the Iberian peninsula. But Spain sure wasn't built in a day....

• Like 4

Week 20

Top games

1. Crusader Kings 2 (PC) - 1574 min.
2. Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - 1385 min.
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1009 min.
4. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Xbox) - 867 min.
5. Pianista (Switch) - 453 min.
6. Fe (Switch) - 375 min.
7. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) - 213 min.
8. Tetris 99 (Switch) - 180 min.
9. Overcooked II (Xbox One) - 135 min.
10. Space Dragon Force (WIP) (PC) - 124 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 1742 min.
2. PS2 - 1385 min.
3. Xbox One - 1144 min.
4. Switch - 1008 min.
5. Xbox - 867 min.
6. GBA - 236 min.
7. Wii - 55 min.

Total 6437 minutes and 14 different games on 7 different systems.

A reasonably strong week is topped by Crusader Kings 2 (2012), followed by Final Fantaxy X-2 (2003), PUBG (2017) and Morrowind (2002). While this for sure is the modern tracker, games with 5-15 years on the market are going just as strong as those 30-40 year old games are doing in the classic tracker. When it comes to statstics, PUBG just broke 50,000 minutes (50,324 to be exact).

• Like 4

Welp, I set what has to be a personal record for game play on a specific game this week . .

DS

Retro Game Challenge 160

PC

Gunpoint 86

Xbox

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 3881

I took the week off and focused on really introverting and playing games. Instead of rotating through a series of games this week, I stuck with Morrowind. I have NOT finished the main story yet, but I'm more than halfway there. As you might expect, I have lots of fresh thoughts about the game, but I think I'd boil them down to a few simple points:

Pros

• The main story is more interesting that the equivalent in Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3*
  • I like the way that the story deliberately takes you around the island. You get to see practically the whole thing.

Cons

• Failing at casting spells, enchanting items, and creating potions kinda sucks.**
  • It's hard to go backwards and accept the very short view distance in the world.

*Those are the only Bethesda RPGs I've played. Don't hold me to this, but I think I'd rank them like this

1) Morrowind

2) Fallout 3

3) Skyrim

4) Oblivion

**The game shows you a % chance for success on spell casting but not potion or enchantment creation. I've spent tons of time reloading and looking up formulas to try and understand this part of the gameplay.

• Like 2

Welp, I set what has to be a personal record for game play on a specific game this week . .

DS

Retro Game Challenge 160

PC

Gunpoint 86

Xbox

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 3881

I took the week off and focused on really introverting and playing games. Instead of rotating through a series of games this week, I stuck with Morrowind. I have NOT finished the main story yet, but I'm more than halfway there. As you might expect, I have lots of fresh thoughts about the game, but I think I'd boil them down to a few simple points:

Pros

• The main story is more interesting that the equivalent in Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3*
  • I like the way that the story deliberately takes you around the island. You get to see practically the whole thing.

Cons

• Failing at casting spells, enchanting items, and creating potions kinda sucks.**
  • It's hard to go backwards and accept the very short view distance in the world.

*Those are the only Bethesda RPGs I've played. Don't hold me to this, but I think I'd rank them like this

1) Morrowind

2) Fallout 3

3) Skyrim

4) Oblivion

**The game shows you a % chance for success on spell casting but not potion or enchantment creation. I've spent tons of time reloading and looking up formulas to try and understand this part of the gameplay.

A mod for an enchanting made possible is a must. I had around 80-90 enchant and it would still fail... now keep in mind that you can eventually just loot Daedric gear and then sell it to the Mudcrab Merchant to be able to afford the costs to have an npc make the items (as you are on Xbox). But here on PC a simple mod makes it possible. lol

Also graphics mods on PC can greatly increase the view distance. No reason not to get it on PC (It was free a while back even). It can run on a potato quite well ( I had it running at 160fps on my overly underpowered laptop with a 2GHz CPU and 128MB of VRAM lol).

• Like 2

Not just personal record, it seems to be a new tracker record (at least in the modern edition) for most minutes on a single game as well as most total minutes in one week. You beat digdugnate's old record by about 10 hours or so.

• Like 4

I have it for PC. Patches are one thing, but I'm not really into mods. Sometimes the mods make other things worse, or you have to uninstall everything and start over (like I think you did last month with Skyrim). I just prefer to play the game the way it was. I don't really think the enchanting needed to be "fixed." It is ok that it is hard. I just wish they'd put an indicator for % chance of success.

In this case, I also wanted to play it with a controller and on my big TV.

• Like 2

Not just personal record, it seems to be a new tracker record (at least in the modern edition) for most minutes on a single game as well as most total minutes in one week. You beat digdugnate's old record by about 10 hours or so.

well, this depends. Do I get to count today for my gameplay or does it end yesterday? ;)

• Like 2

hehehe. :)

I think i'm gonna have to relinquish it to @wongojack this week- 3881 minutes is damn impressive and I'd have to cram in like 30 hours I think to come close, lol. The thing that cracked me up about my FF X-2 time this week is it happens to be my birth year, too.

I also snuck in a little time for a freebie game I got as part of Qubic Games' promotion- Robonauts. My kiddo played Pianista for a little over 2 hours as well.

PS2:

Final Fantasy X-2 -- 1978 minutes

Switch:

Robonauts -- 30 minutes

Pianista -- 129 minutes

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned, even 30 hours of gaming in one week is massive, nearly 70 hours is ... mighty impressive, to put it in a positive tone.

LOL - I said I THINK that it was a personal best. It's 4,268 total minutes including some arcade time. I did some digging to try and find out. . . turns out the total time might not be a record (for me), but the time on a single game probably is.

A number of years ago my wife and I got into some trouble with a contractor working on our new house. He had gutted the kitchen and basically ran away with some of our money for new cabinets. We were doing fine regarding making house payments and had good income, but we couldn't do much to quickly get a sum of money to get our kitchen back . . .

We decided to take time off and spend it enjoying things we'd already paid for. That year we had our first annual staycation where we played games in our backlog and ate (mostly) food that could be prepared in a toaster oven.

The tradition lives on to this day, and every year, I try to take a long break where I stay home and slow life down. This fits with a general philosophy of mine that if I don't plan what I want to do (even leisure activity) that I typically end up doing things that don't really make me happy. So I plan pretty seriously with a list of games and a timer. I typically play a big variety of games, but when an RPG is my target, I tend to fixate.

Here are examples of previous "staycation" report-outs. Note that until this year, I wasn't tracking modern time accurately, so who knows what things would have been otherwise:

Jan 10 2016

• Arkanoid C64 270mins
  • Gyruss C64 660 mins
  • Lemans C64 100 mins
  • Summer Games 2 C64 20 mins
  • Arkanoid Arcade (via MAME) 15 mins
  • Gyruss Arcade (via MAME) 45 mins

• Star Wars KOTOR Orig Xbox - 2,827 mins

Total mins - 3,937

January 9th 2017

• Pac Man 4k 6

• Asteroids 50
  • Basketbrawl 25
  • Dig Dug 26
  • Donkey Kong Jr. 47
  • Failsafe 58
  • Meteor Shower 30
  • One on One 25
  • Pac Man Collection 40

MSX 2

• Metal Gear 591
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake 242

Nintendo 64

• Zelda Ocarina of Time 887

Odyssey 2

• KTAA 37
  • Pick Axe Pete 55

Windows 95/98

• Baldur's Gate 784
  • Half Life 1036

Steam Games

• Gone Home 174
  • Her Story 253

Total mins - 4,365

July 22nd 2018

PC - DOS
  • Doom 7
SNES
  • Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage 21
  • Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose 18

Playstation 4

• Eve: Valkyrie 100
  • Skyrim VR 621

Wii

• Resident Evil Zero 819
Wii U
  • NES Remix 187
  • NES Remix II 255

XOne

• Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition 824

Total mins - 2,852

January 7th 2019

PS1

• Metal Gear Solid 1093

SNES

• Zelda L2tP 427

DS

• Retro Game Challenge 480
Xbox
  • Morrowind 856

XOne

• Rise of the Tomb Raider 591

Total mins - 3,447

So if you read all that, you'll see that I've actually had a couple of "down" years recently in regards to staycation game time. Most of the time, I do the staycation in January, but I've been mxing it up in '18 and '19. Before 2016, I also had a few epic staycations where I made no attempt to track time. Those will just have to pass into legend . . . 2010 2015

• Like 5

Back in December 2018, it was discussed in the classic tracker which game had the highest amount of gameplay in a single week. The stats are not complete, but the top 4 that could be compiled included Romance of the Three Kingdoms (NES) for 61 hours 45 min, Galaxian (Atari 2600) for 50 hours, Suikoden (PlayStation) for 47 hours and Destiny 2 (Xbox One) for 43 hours 59 min. Your 64 hours 41 mins on Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Xbox) tops all those.

Yes, your Star Wars KOTO (Xbox) for 47 hours 7 min also belongs on that list.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 5

Oh and BTW, I am playing Morrowind via the XBox One. I have the GOTY disk for OG Xbox, and it is one of the backwards compatible titles. It still plays in 4:3 aspect ratio, and I believe the gameplay is unchanged, but I think they did pretty-it-up a bit with more detailed textures. Here are some screenshots.

post-5812-0-99072300-1558982457_thumb.pngpost-5812-0-00038000-1558982471_thumb.pngpost-5812-0-37653900-1558982487_thumb.pngpost-5812-0-49268600-1558982515_thumb.pngpost-5812-0-07849800-1558982527_thumb.png

• Like 4

Way to go on the absolutely enormous gaming time this past week Wongojack! That's like, what, 9 hours plus of Morrowind every single day!? Bonkers! :o Our gaming routine has started to get back to normal around here this past week, with quite a bit of time logged on both myself and the misses' parts. :)

Ineligible

Castlevania (NES, played on Classic NES Series: Castlevania for Game Boy Advance) - 50 minutes

Panorama Cotton (Sega Genesis, English Fan Translation, emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 166 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Game Gear, emulated on EverDrive GBA X5) - 226 minutes

Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - 202 minutes
Metroid: Zero Mission - 282 minutes
Sonic Advance 2 - 90 minutes
Sonic Pinball Party - 122 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,138 minutes (18 hours 58 minutes) [696 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy Advance: 696 minutes
Sega Game Gear: 226 minutes
Sega Genesis: 166 minutes
NES: 50 minutes

It was a really fun week for gaming, but the unusual thing is that this was the first week in quite a long while that every game we played was either emulated or on a EverDrive; no physical copies involved! For my gaming time this past week the first game I played was Sonic the Hedgehog for the Game Gear, which looked and played just beautifully on the EverDrive GBA X5 and the Game Boy Advance that I installed a backlit screen in last month. I think the screen size for Game Gear games emulated on the GBA is a touch smaller than the original Game Gear screen, but getting to play them on a really sharp looking backlit screen with no motion blur and not having to change the batteries every few hours feels like a fair trade off. :lol:

The first Sonic for the Game Gear ended up being a great game, and I was pretty pleased that I was able to beat it and collect all the chaos emeralds on my second try. It's basically just the Sega Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog with a zoomed in view and a slightly more vibrant color palette, but that's not a bad thing at all since Sonic on the Master System is a great game! After beating Sonic for the Game Gear I spent some time checking out Sonic Pinball Party and Sonic Advance 2 on the EverDrive GBA as well, both of which were a ton of fun, then finally got around to finishing the game of Metroid: Zero Mission that I had been working on for quite a while.

To wrap up the week I did a quick play through of the original Castlevania on the GBA while I was riding on the bus to run some errands yesterday, and I gotta say that the EverDrive GBA X5 is probably one of the best portable gaming purchases I've ever made. Having every Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, original Game Boy, NES, Game Gear, and Master System game that I could ever want to play all on one cartridge has turned my Game Boy Advance from a system that I only picked up and played every now and then into an all-purpose retro gaming portable that rides with me everywhere I go. In fact, it was the only system I played games on all week this past week. The only tough part about having over a thousand great games in your pocket is picking a game to play and sticking with it, but I feel like I've been doing a pretty decent job of that so far.

As far as the misses' gaming time went, she spent a fair bit of time using the EverDrive GBA X5 in our GameCube's Game Boy Player to continue her play through of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and at this point only has one boss left to go before Dracula. She spent a couple hours yesterday just level grinding and searching for better armor though, so I don't think she's quite ready to take on the last couple bosses just yet. In addition to Circle of the Moon on the GBA she also fired up the Genesis emulator on the Wii and tried out the recently released English language fan translation of Panorama Cotton. She's always liked Space Harrier style games and after beating Panorama Cotton on her second try she declared it the best game of that genre that she's ever played, and insisted that we absolutely have to get a physical copy of the English translated version for our Genesis collection. I played it for a little bit and thought it was pretty darn amazing as well (I had no idea that the Genesis could do half the rotation and scaling effects this game makes it do), though I only made it to the third level since I've never been particularly skilled at these sort of games and my reflexes are still a bit off kilter.

All in all it was a great week for gaming around here, and next week looks to be shaping up to be just as much fun. Until then, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Wow, and here I thought I was spending too much time on CKII! I don't blame you though, I've spent hundreds of hours on Elder Scrolls and Falout games...

PC

Crusader Kings II (2121 min)

My attempt to reign over Espania just fell short with one bad linage where everything fell apart because my vassels hated the moron son that took control in the mid 1200's. So, I started again in 1106, this time with the petty king of Mumu attempting to take control of Ireland, and then Bretannia. So far, 4 generations in Ireland and Wales are conquered. Scotland has had a lot of revolts so I'm hoping it's not too tough, then I should have de jour casus belli over England to form Bretannia (assuming all goes as planned...that's a big assumption).

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 3