IntyBASIC compiler v1.4.2: reloaded with new features

nanochess

Ok, but it is using hw multiplications few lines later for 192

EB86:F 02BC 00C0 MVII #192,R4

EB88:F 0241 9F86 MVO R1,40838

EB8A:F 0244 9F87 MVO R4,40839

EB8C:F 0281 9F8E MVI 40846,R1

Is it faster here?

There's no MULT macro for 192. They stop at 127. (See intybasic_prologue.asm for all of them.)

That said, if you used the "MULT 24" macro and then shifted left by 3 (SLL R0,2; SLL R0, 1), it would be 6 cycles slower, but still 1 word shorter.

The fastest multiply-by-192 I can think of off the top of my head:

MOVR R0, R4 ; 6 \
ADDR R0, R4 ; 6  |- Multiply by 3
ADDR R4, R0 ; 6 /
SLL  R0, 2  ; 8 \
SLL  R0, 2  ; 8  |- Multiply by 64.  (192 = 3*64)
SLL  R0, 2  ; 8 /
            ;--
            ;42

That's 2 cycles longer than the JLP accelerator, but 2 words shorter.

ok. But, then, where is the problem with v140?

I thought there was. If it's greater than 127, it inserts a SLL first, halves the constant, and processes it through the macro:

IF (%const% > $7F)
_mul.const      QSET    (_mul.const SHR 1)
                SLL     %reg%,  1
        ENDI

Or did that change in the latest IntyBASIC?

I was on a wrong path. In order to see if the problem was in MULT I've replaced it in the ASM by the JLP hw multiplication and the DEFINE issue is still there.

So the problem has to be elsewhere.

Due to the fact I cannot see any relevant difference among the two sources, I will look later if something else is modifying sprites in GRAM

Actually, after the loop from 0 to 127 there is a short loop of 31 frames

for bosslife=0 to 127
		gosub ms_loop
		gosub boss_explode
		gosub warp_anim
	next 

for bosslife=0 to 31
		gosub ms_loop
		gosub warp_anim
	next

In theory no modification should happen to the sprites used to the boss battle, but I will try to explore differences there

I was on a wrong path. In order to see if the problem was in MULT I've replaced it in the ASM by the JLP hw multiplication and the DEFINE issue is still there.

Due to the fact I cannot see any relevant difference among the two sources, I will look later if something else is modifying sprites in GRAM

Actually, after the loop from 0 to 127 there is a short loop of 31 frames

for bosslife=0 to 127
		gosub ms_loop
		gosub boss_explode
		gosub warp_anim
	next 

for bosslife=0 to 31
		gosub ms_loop
		gosub warp_anim
	next

In theory no modification should happen to the sprites used to the boss battle, but I will try to explore differences there

Are you able to reproduce the conditions that cause the glitch? If so, you could try enabling CPU history in the debugger, then set a breakpoint right after it occurs and dump the history. With that we can examine which values were processed and where they came from.

-dZ.

I thought there was. If it's greater than 127, it inserts a SLL first, halves the constant, and processes it through the macro:

IF (%const% > $7F)
                SLL     %reg%,  1
        ENDI

no idea about the correctness, but this has not changed between v129 and v140/141

Edited by artrag

Are you able to reproduce the conditions that cause the glitch? If so, you could try enabling CPU history in the debugger, then set a breakpoint right after it occurs and dump the history. With that we can examine which values were processed and where they came from.

-dZ.

Sure, It happens each time the boss explodes.

After the last frame of the explosion, it shows a huge filled box of FFFFh

I was expecting to see the DEFINE pointing outside my data table to an uninitialized rom area (which is FFFFh) but the math implementation in VARPTR seems equivalent and the index variables stay in the correct range (at least in the loop that calls the procedure).

I've no idea of how the debugger works, how do I set a break point and enable the history?

IF (%const% > $7F)
                SLL     %reg%,  1
        ENDI

Ah, I missed that. It wasn't in the original mpyk.mac that this was based on. Seems like that will only work if the multiply constant is even (which 192 happens to be).

FWIW, I didn't see any meaningful difference between the two bits of code you showed, other than that IntyBASIC 1.4 used the faster MULT sequence, so it makes sense that the issue wasn't here.

Sure, It happens each time the boss explodes.

After the last frame of the explosion, it shows a huge filled box of FFFFh

I was expecting to see the DEFINE pointing outside my data table to an uninitialized rom area (which is FFFFh) but the math implementation in VARPTR seems equivalent and the index variables stay in the correct range (at least in the loop that calls the procedure).

I've no idea of how the debugger works, how do I set a break point and enable the history?

Are you using the IntyBASIC SDK? If so, you can invoke the "intydbug command" and it'll include all the necessary symbols.

If not ...

When calling jzIntv from the command line, include the -d option to enable debugging. When it starts, it'll halt in the debugger prompt.

From there...

• type "h" <ENTER> to enable CPU history
  • type "b <ADDRS>" <ENTER> to set the breakpoint at <ADDRS>
  • type "r" <ENTER> to run the program as normal.

Since you probably haven't done the symbol mapping to the IntyBASIC source (don't worry about it), just use the addresses in the LST file.

When the breakpoint hits, the program will halt again and bring up the debugger prompt. From there...

• type "d" <ENTER> to dump the CPU history to a file
  • type "q" <ENTER> to quit the debugging session and emulation (or "r" to continue running if you'd like)

The CPU history will include all execution history for the past several thousand cycles (it recycles after a while), all the way to the point you dumped it. If you post that, hopefully we can help you trace it back to the problem point.

-dZ.

Ah, I missed that. It wasn't in the original mpyk.mac that this was based on. Seems like that will only work if the multiply constant is even (which 192 happens to be).

I just noticed that. Yeah, it seems to be one of the last vestiges of the enhancements I made in a rush which none of us tested. :dunce:

FWIW, I didn't see any meaningful difference between the two bits of code you showed, other than that IntyBASIC 1.4 used the faster MULT sequence, so it makes sense that the issue wasn't here.

I'm more inclined to think it's an interrupt cycle overrun or a data corruption issue.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I'm more inclined to think it's an interrupt cycle overrun or a data corruption issue.

Wait, I take that back. It can't be a cycle overrun because it seems it is actually writing GRAM with bad data.

artrag, from the breakpoint prompt, you can also dump the GRAM image into a file with the "gs" command. At least this will give us an idea if that card you are seeing is actually in GRAM or if it's been picked up from somewhere else.

In any case, the "^" command will also show if GRAM write events failed. You should set that at the beginning of execution, like the "h" history command.

-dZ.

no idea about the correctness, but this has not changed between v129 and v140/141

Probably this macro should test the number of zeros right, shifting right the constant and left the register, and then continue as normal if the resulting constant is less than 128.

As it is now it can be source of troubles..

Oscar, you should fix or remove that IF/ENFI

Edited by artrag

Probably this macro should test the number of zeros right, shifting right the constant and left the register, and then continue as normal if the resulting constant is less than 128.

As it is now it can be source of troubles..

Oscar, you should fix or remove that IF/ENFI

Well, it was a failed attempt at adding support for values larger than 127. Perhaps that test at the top should be removed and keep it at 127. Alternatively, it can be fixed with additional work, which may still be cheaper than calling the full-blown runtime multiplication function.

-dZ.

Well, it was a failed attempt at adding support for values larger than 127. Perhaps that test at the top should be removed and keep it at 127. Alternatively, it can be fixed with additional work, which may still be cheaper than calling the full-blown runtime multiplication function.

Well, according to the IntyBASIC source, "your" macro (really ours, isn't it?) only gets used for values <=127 anyway:

} else if (val <= 127) {  // DZ-Jay's macro
        output->emit_m(N_MULT, reg, 4, val);
Edited by intvnut

Well, according to the IntyBASIC source, "your" macro (really ours, isn't it?) only gets used for values <=127 anyway:

} else if (val <= 127) {  // DZ-Jay's macro
        output->emit_m(N_MULT, reg, 4, val);

Sorry, I didn't call it my macro -- it's not. I even asked nanochess to remove "by DZ-Jay" from the source and the manual because it was yours. The only part I take ownership of is of all the errors. :o Those went completely untested for a long time until someone pointed them out.

For the record, the MULT macro was created by intvnut (originally called MLPY), and he gets full credit for it. I then modified it to add support for values greater than 127 and to replace some shift sequences with SWAP and broke it. I get full credit for that. :dunce:

-dZ.

Sorry, I didn't call it my macro -- it's not. I even asked nanochess to remove "by DZ-Jay" from the source and the manual because it was yours. The only part I take ownership of is of all the errors. :o Those went completely untested for a long time until someone pointed them out.

For the record, the MULT macro was created by intvnut (originally called MLPY), and he gets full credit for it. I then modified it to add support for values greater than 127 and to replace some shift sequences with SWAP and broke it. I get full credit for that. :dunce:

I think my original mpyk.mac had some broken entries in it that are errors of my own creation. :-)

• Like 1

Are you using the IntyBASIC SDK? If so, you can invoke the "intydbug command" and it'll include all the necessary symbols.

If not ...

When calling jzIntv from the command line, include the -d option to enable debugging. When it starts, it'll halt in the debugger prompt.

From there...

• type "h" <ENTER> to enable CPU history
  • type "b <ADDRS>" <ENTER> to set the breakpoint at <ADDRS>
  • type "r" <ENTER> to run the program as normal.

Since you probably haven't done the symbol mapping to the IntyBASIC source (don't worry about it), just use the addresses in the LST file.

When the breakpoint hits, the program will halt again and bring up the debugger prompt. From there...

• type "d" <ENTER> to dump the CPU history to a file
  • type "q" <ENTER> to quit the debugging session and emulation (or "r" to continue running if you'd like)

The CPU history will include all execution history for the past several thousand cycles (it recycles after a while), all the way to the point you dumped it. If you post that, hopefully we can help you trace it back to the problem point.

-dZ.

Here the dump just after the broken frames have appeared.

Do you need also the LST file?

dzgorf_dump.zip

I have set the brekpoint at the end of the first loop on bosslife, i.e. at $5382 . This means that the bug has to be in DEFINE, in the procedure "boss_explode"

SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",483
                                	;[484] 	for bosslife=0 to 127
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",484
536D   01C0                     	CLRR R0
536E   0240 0131                	MVO R0,var_BOSSLIFE
0x5370                          T27:
                                	;[485] 		gosub ms_loop
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",485
5370   0004 0154 035A           	CALL label_MS_LOOP
                                	;[486] 		gosub boss_explode
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",486
5373   0004 01E8 0332           	CALL label_BOSS_EXPLODE
                                	;[487] 		gosub warp_anim
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",487
5376   0004 01E4 0148           	CALL label_WARP_ANIM
                                	;[488] 	next 
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",488
5379   0280 0131                	MVI var_BOSSLIFE,R0
537B   0008                     	INCR R0
537C   0240 0131                	MVO R0,var_BOSSLIFE
537E   0378 007F                	CMPI #127,R0
5380   0226 0011                	BLE T27
                                	;[489] 	
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",489
                                	;[490] 	for bosslife=0 to 31
                                	SRCFILE "dzgorf.bas",490
5382   01C0                     	CLRR R0

If for some reason boss_explode is called again it would fail because bosslife is 128 after the FOR

There has to be something nastier, boss_explode is called only in that loop.

Moreover while tracing step by step the code I've ended to this picture that is strange because halfway between the correct frame and the dummy FFFFh frame...

What could it be?

post-22013-0-03585900-1551629922.gif