Photo

Dropped my Lynx 2 now it won't power on. Help with T-Shooting appreciated

5 replies to this topic

#1 ninsei OFFLINE  

ninsei

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 AM

Hi. I have a Lynx 2 with the McWill screen mod. worked great until I dropped it now it won't power on. Any help with trouble shooting is appreciated. I get no voltage to VCC/Ground as in step 3 here:

https://cdn.shopify....491075025779069

I guess I'm supposed to see about 5 volts there even if I don't press the "On" button? I don't with either batteries in or power adapter.

#2 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 6,734 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 AM

No you still need to have a cart plugged into it in order to test for Vcc. the Lynx doesn't attempt to turn on without a cart in or unless you short some pins to trick it into thinking there is a cart plugged in. That isn't stated in the instructions, but yeah...still need to plug everything up while still having it open to test this. 

I ran into that snag myself the first time I did it and was slightly freaking out about it thinking I had hosed up something in the process.

#3 ninsei OFFLINE  

ninsei

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 AM

Thanks. Yes I have a cart in and have the ribbon cable connected. no power to VCC/ground.

#4 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 6,734 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 AM

And you have power at the power jack? I don't have a Lynx board in front of me, but you would also need to check if you get anything at the zener diode as well I think. We know it to be a power issue and if you get nothing, then just have to start at the AC jack and start working component to component.

#5 ninsei OFFLINE  

ninsei

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:58 PM

Ah: if I put 5v directly to capacitor C41 it powers on nicely. I assume that means the mosfet is faulty. I just ordered a new mosfet.

#6 Stephen Moss OFFLINE  

Stephen Moss

Stargunner

• 1,114 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 AM

I guess I'm supposed to see about 5 volts there even if I don't press the "On" button? I don't with either batteries in or power adapter.

No, as the Lynx is off there is no current flow and thus not voltage drop so I would expect you to see the raw in comming voltage (around 12V with power unit and 9V with batteries). 

Ah: if I put 5v directly to capacitor C41 it powers on nicely. I assume that means the mosfet is faulty. I just ordered a new mosfet.

The MOSFET maybe faulty, however a drop is highly unlikely to damage the MOSFET, but it may crack a solder joint.

I would suggest applying power and measuring the voltage across the supply pins of U6 (pins 7 & 14), if you cannot measure the supply voltage there then one of your power rails is open circuit and you will have to trace it back from there to the battery connectors/power socket.  

Edited by Stephen Moss, Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:57 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users