Photo

The Retron 77 and using paddles.

11 replies to this topic

#1 GradualGames OFFLINE  

GradualGames

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 AM

Has anyone else tried to use paddles with the Retron 77?

I have a pair of clean paddles which have zero jitter on my vader.

On the Retron 77, they have jitter.

I've tried other sets of paddles with the same result.

The support team tells me the console needs to be replaced--- I'm not buying it. I just think they never engineered the hardware properly to work with paddles.

Anyone else experience jitter with paddles on retron 77 or are some of you getting buttery smooth operation? If anyone is getting smooth play I might just send it back to hyperkin for a replacement as they suggested....

#2 ColecoJoe OFFLINE  

ColecoJoe

Moonsweeper

• 462 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 AM

Has anyone else tried to use paddles with the Retron 77?

I have a pair of clean paddles which have zero jitter on my vader.

On the Retron 77, they have jitter.

I've tried other sets of paddles with the same result.

The support team tells me the console needs to be replaced--- I'm not buying it. I just think they never engineered the hardware properly to work with paddles.

Anyone else experience jitter with paddles on retron 77 or are some of you getting buttery smooth operation? If anyone is getting smooth play I might just send it back to hyperkin for a replacement as they suggested....

I gave mine away because of that issue and a replacement console did fix it.

#3 GradualGames OFFLINE  

GradualGames

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 AM

I gave mine away because of that issue and a replacement console did fix it.

Just making sure this wasn't a typo.... you're saying replacing the retron 77 DID fix the paddle issue?

#4 ColecoJoe OFFLINE  

ColecoJoe

Moonsweeper

• 462 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 AM

Just making sure this wasn't a typo.... you're saying replacing the retron 77 DID fix the paddle issue?

Yes, when I gave it away my buddy replaced it and he no longer has the jittery issue but has a whole set of new issues :) 

#5 GradualGames OFFLINE  

GradualGames

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 AM

Yes, when I gave it away my buddy replaced it and he no longer has the jittery issue but has a whole set of new issues :)

Ugh, what were the new issues?? I really only care about a handful of games, like Asteroids, Missile Command, Enduro,  and then I'd love to be able to play Super Breakout and Warlords.

#6 ColecoJoe OFFLINE  

ColecoJoe

Moonsweeper

• 462 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 AM

Ugh, what were the new issues?? I really only care about a handful of games, like Asteroids, Missile Command, Enduro,  and then I'd love to be able to play Super Breakout and Warlords.

If that's all you care about then I think the unit will be fine for you as long as you can get your paddles to work. I'm done with Hyperkin.

#7 GradualGames OFFLINE  

GradualGames

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 42 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 PM

If that's all you care about then I think the unit will be fine for you as long as you can get your paddles to work. I'm done with Hyperkin.

I've got a vader upstairs with a CRT for everything else, I just have the retron downstairs to enjoy a handful of classics with family and such. So yeah sounds like it may be worth sending in for a replacement.

#8 Nickp716 OFFLINE  

Nickp716

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 PM

I wonder if the 1 meg old pots in the paddles have to do with the retron not getting a correct reading as essentially they are an analog swipe pot. I have thought about experimenting with 1 meg digital encoder pots to see if that may help.

#9 TF14 OFFLINE  

TF14

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 PM

Has anyone tested Kaboom? 

#10 Nickp716 OFFLINE  

Nickp716

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 PM

I should be getting my retron 77 in the mail tomorrow, I will try out Kaboom for you if it arrives.

#11 Nickp716 OFFLINE  

Nickp716

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 PM

Retron came today and was DOA right out of the box. Un-freaking believable. Wouldn't boot, just black screen. Sorry I couldn't help with kaboom.

#12 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 939 posts
  • Enjoying 8 bit gaming in HD!

Posted Yesterday, 7:26 AM

Retron came today and was DOA right out of the box. Un-freaking believable. Wouldn't boot, just black screen. Sorry I couldn't help with kaboom.

Not surprised it has a lower shelf life than the Flashbacks...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users