Photo

Network vs Local storage device for Atari 8bit?

10 replies to this topic

#1 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• 1,338 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 PM

So with all the cool SIO devices out there, and Cartridge based ones where we can load collections of ATR, XEX, etc, I always think it'd be nice if I could load these directly off my NAS, so I can have backups of save files, etc.

The reason I think of this, is I do the same thing with my Raspberry Pi w/ RetroPie installed.  I simply have the roms loaded off my NAS over sshfs or nfs.

Imagine some file server bits, and get real hardware working over an ESP8266 Wifi adapter?  I know there is work being done on a 'retro printer' interface as well.  Would love to find a way to do some sort of universal print server (obviously we'd need coding per platform),

Some of these ideas come from the most excellent Jaguar  SD Cart project by SainT.  I think he is still planning on connecting Wifi to it.  But if we could have a little embedded nfs capable module in a cartridge, it could be configured to mount a network storage point.

Thoughts?

#2 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,354 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:01 PM

Pretty sure this can be accomplished already with the wi-fi SD card adapters, for the Ultimate and AVG cart which take SD.

#3 tuf OFFLINE  

tuf

Chopper Commander

• 243 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 PM

You'd need a disk emulation device with the wifi stack built into it to access the NAS.  The Toshiba wireless cards work sort of in reverse of that, allowing you access to the cards contents remotely.  You need something like a wireless SIO2PC.

#4 squonk OFFLINE  

squonk

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:50 AM

Currently, I have SIO2PC and APE set up where the atari disk image is a mirror of an SMB share on my home network.  So I can do cross compiles using cc65 on my laptop, and the binary is automatically available on my atari.  It's pretty slick for development; no shuttling of files around.

Is that what you're looking for?

#5 xxl OFFLINE  

xxl

Stargunner

• 1,120 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 AM

look at 0:25

#6 greblus ONLINE  

greblus

Moonsweeper

• 270 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 AM

I sync AspeQt's mounted folder between my laptop and mobile phone with syncthing:

https://syncthing.net/

It's free and it can be used within local network only without any external servers involved.

#7 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 952 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:32 AM

I sync AspeQt's mounted folder between my laptop and mobile phone with syncthing:

https://syncthing.net/

It's free and it can be used within local network only without any external servers involved.

This is what I do too, only with Dropbox. I set up a spare laptop, and use Remote Desktop to control it. That way I can keep the laptop closed so it takes up very little space In fact, I keep the monitor on top of the laptop.

I need to look at syncthing... :-)

#8 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,763 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:30 AM

I have tons of storage devices but I use SIO2PC-USB connected to a PC with a Dropbox shared folder.
My Atari files change almost everyday and I use many computers.
Therefore it would be a PITA to copy/update files on SD cards.

#9 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 11,115 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:34 AM

Modern.

#10 leech OFFLINE  

leech

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,338 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 AM

This is perfect! 

#11 tuf OFFLINE  

tuf

Chopper Commander

• 243 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Do you have more info on this anywhere?  I don't see it mentioned on your site.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users