Photo

Tiny Space Game

3 replies to this topic

#1 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 727 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 PM

I'm not sure if this will be of interest to anyone besides myself, but I thought I'd post it just in case.  This is my first completed stand-alone assembly game.

The original Space Game is a 32K game, and I filled almost all of that 32K.  Because I was intrigued by the idea of making a game that would fit onto a standard QR code, and because I wanted to hone my assembly skills, I challenged myself to see what subset of Space Game I could fit into 2K.  Since that's only 1/16th the original size, there was a lot that had to go off the bat: all of the cool music Maggie composed, special screens like the title screen, wave screens, etc., boss battles, mini-games between waves, etc.

Optimizing code and data to this level was an interesting exercise for me.  I managed to fit in 9 of the 14 non-boss aliens along with all of their special abilities.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fit in powerups!

I couldn't fit in a 6-digit score routine along with the graphics data for the digits, so I made a playfield-based scoring system where each alien group defeated scores one green bar, and if you get over 8 green bars they are exchanged for a red bar.  If you have 8 green and red bars, then you win the game.

Anyway, here's the game along with the source in case anyone is interested in trying it / looking at it. 

Attached File  sg2k.bin   2KB   56 downloads

Attached File  sg2k.asm   25.77KB   33 downloads

#2 Muddyfunster OFFLINE  

Muddyfunster

Moonsweeper

• 278 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 PM

Hat off to you KarlG, that's damn impressive taking your 32k original (and rather good) Space Game and working a playable subset into 2k using assembly.

I'd love to have the time to learn assembly.

Edited by Muddyfunster, Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 PM.

#3 JeffJetton OFFLINE  

JeffJetton

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:09 PM

Fun! Having never playing the 32K version, I don't really have anything to compare it to. Not sure what the floaty dash thing is, but I've learned to not let it hit me. :-)

#4 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 727 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:12 PM

Smartbomb!  Any similarity to the one in Yars' Revenge is strictly coincidental.   ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users