IGNORED

Super Pro Astrosmash

intvdave

As we continue celebrating 15+ years of Intelligentvision. Here is another gift.

I LOVED Astrosmash but having to start back at zero was painful. I also wished that auto-fire was on by default. My prayers were answered. Maybe some of yours also with this version. I hope you enjoy this version. I am all ears if you have other suggestions to make.

astrosmash.rom

• Like 12

Christmas in January!? Hmm, I never thought of improving Astrosmash other than figuring out some way to avoid 2-3 hour sessions.

Actually, IIRC only two shots can be on the screen at a time. Autofire spaces then out evenly, but my technique is to fire a double pulse (two in quick succession). Downside is that it's thumb torture. How hard would it be to offer two options for Auto. One evenly spaced and one set to launch double shots, so to speak?

I like the colour changes except for cyan. It's like running your fingernails down a blackboard but for eyes.

The only thing I'd really have changed is the amount of lives you can gain in the game. It's why it goes on so long. It should max out at 6. I think Demon attack does that. Or is it Qbert?

Edited by Bamse

The background stays black. At zero points, game starts at 3x. When starting at zero, the game speed ramps up a bit quicker.

I may put the limited lives in there but I doubt many would want this version. If you want the game to go quckly, start off at 750,000 points. That is one level below the hardest which is 1,000,000.

astrosmash.rom

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 3

I guess I'm in the minority of liking the cyan level. All black is too boring for me, I loved the changing of the colors.

I always had on auto fire and used the buttons when a precise shot was needed.

Bitd I always wanted more background colors, as they felt like stages and were the measure in my family of how far you made it.

Would you play the game today if it had more colors? I went through the 16 colors. Not all work like white but many do.

Seriously, if there were more stage colors alone, I'd fire up even an otherwise vanilla version of the game on my LTO and do my best to reach them. :D

The only challenge I have keeping me from long play sessions is a 2 month old baby. If it's possible to add a pause feature, if there isn't already one (I haven't tried Super Pro Astrosmash yet), that would be ideal. Otherwise I'd only make it one hour tops before having to quit. :P

Seriously, if there were more stage colors alone, I'd fire up even an otherwise vanilla version of the game on my LTO and do my best to reach them. :D

The only challenge I have keeping me from long play sessions is a 2 month old baby. If it's possible to add a pause feature, if there isn't already one (I haven't tried Super Pro Astrosmash yet), that would be ideal. Otherwise I'd only make it one hour tops before having to quit. :P

Try pressing 1+9 at the same time. This will pause most (not all) Intellivision games. Hopefully that still works in Super Pro Astrosmash.

• Like 1