IGNORED

Gazoo's SNUG System Needs a New Home!

Shift838

All,

last year i was able to obtain The Great Gazoo's (Tony Knerr's) SNUG system with every intent to figure it out. I was able to get it booting, loading programs, etc. However, i do not think I am going to have the time to really dive into it and I don't want it to gather dust.

I will be posting it in the Marketplace to find a new home. I don't want to separate any of the components. If you are interested PM me.

• Like 1

I'm assuming no Geneve or GenMod/Memex?

Beery

no just:

SGCPU

AVPC card with hand wired cable from Tony for SCART

SCART-Genie AVPC to use

80 Track Myarc FDC

HSGPL

RS232

Mid-Tower Case with 3.5 and 5.25 drive.

No keyboard comes with it but uses a standard AT keyboard.

• Like 2

Man, that really is something. I'm new relatively new to this forum, and even I know of Gazoo. Of course, I've read most of everything that's been posted since the beginning of time on here. That really does need to go to a good home. I know he was brilliant, I know he had a sense of humor. I know how much he gave to this community. I know I've had too many beers. I hope that system goes to a good place where it will be respected.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right Omega. I rescued that machine at Tony's request and I passed it on at no cost (I actually paid to ship it to the receiver out of my own pocket out of respect for Tony's wishes). . .but it has changed hands since that point, and altruism seems to have gone out the window at some point through that process. . .I know the original recipient's motives were spot on, I don't know what went on beyond that.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

Someone is selling it? I thought is was given to someone after Tony died? Did I misunderstand?

Yep, whomever decided to break the chain and sell it definitely broke the original intent of the system changing hands. I have some equipment that I own that was given to me that will be given away too whenever I choose to part with it. It's not going to be sold.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Someone is selling it? I thought is was given to someone after Tony died? Did I misunderstand?

Here are my thoughts on it.

Yes, the system was given free originally and like me he had every intention to figure it out. I ended up paying a fair price for the system and the funds that I paid for this system did not go into someone's pocket as profit as many may think but instead went into purchasing parts to repair equipment and ship the items back to the owners with a new lease on life. Some of these repairs I know personally were sitting for years.

I do not think the original intent was broken since the funds were used for repairing and shipping items without cost to the owners and I do not believe that Tony would want someone to loose money on repairs in order to keep the TI and Geneve systems alive if his system could go to a better home and the funds be used for that. This user has done countless repairs for many of us at no cost and simply because he enjoys doing it and did not try to make a profit Tony's system.

I am sure the user I obtained the system from will chime in on the topic as well.

• Like 2

I was the original recipient of Tony's SNUG system. Not being able to use/keep the system was a very difficult decision for me

I'm going to be uncharacteristically blunt : none of your business.

. I rescued that machine at Tony's request and I passed it on at no cost (I actually paid to ship it to the receiver out of my own pocket out of respect for Tony's wishes). . .but it has changed hands since that point, and altruism seems to have gone out the window at some point through that process. . .I know the original recipient's motives were spot on, I don't know what went on beyond that.

My health situation at the time left a few gaps before and after my surgeries. If I left you hanging, my apologies, as I barely even remember receiving the box. The one vivid memory I do have is the day I finally lift and set it up. I was elated. It was one of the first real, fun experiences that year.

I am sure the user I obtained the system from will chime in on the topic as well.

To me, finding a good home for the SNUG system was equally as important as forging ahead with repairs that were still on my bench. Repairs that for reasons alluded to above left me unable to manage it fully on my own. Some of the broken cards came from Bud (he never stopped caring for his past customers) before he passed away and a few from people who still had my information from long ago. I cleared all but two user cards from my bench with Tony's systems "help" and encouragement from some of you here, with the same approach I have had since the 90s.

Since there seems to be a tendency to jump to conclusions I felt it only right to speak up. If you still feel like criticizing someone, you may direct that animosity toward me.

Now you all know the rest of the story.

• Like 3

If you say so. However... it was in a (public) forum and I saw a (public) 'GoFund Me' request to the tune of $1,500.00. Excuse me for thinking about Tony's legacy.

I was the original recipient of Tony's SNUG system. Not being able to use/keep the system was a very difficult decision for me

My health situation at the time left a few gaps before and after my surgeries. If I left you hanging, my apologies, as I barely even remember receiving the box. The one vivid memory I do have is the day I finally lift and set it up. I was elated. It was one of the first real, fun experiences that year.

To me, finding a good home for the SNUG system was equally as important as forging ahead with repairs that were still on my bench. Repairs that for reasons alluded to above left me unable to manage it fully on my own. Some of the broken cards came from Bud (he never stopped caring for his past customers) before he passed away and a few from people who still had my information from long ago. I cleared all but two user cards from my bench with Tony's systems "help" and encouragement from some of you here, with the same approach I have had since the 90s.

Since there seems to be a tendency to jump to conclusions I felt it only right to speak up. If you still feel like criticizing someone, you may direct that animosity toward me.

Now you all know the rest of the story.

Thanks for explaining. So, the proceeds were to pay for getting TI equipment repaired. That was the missing piece.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you say so. However... it was in a (public) forum and I saw a (public) 'GoFund Me' request to the tune of $1,500.00. Excuse me for thinking about Tony's legacy.

I simply don't understand this line of thinking. His gear is not his legacy. It truly doesn't concern you, me, or anyone who isn't directly involved. I don't know anyone here who would question Tim's integrity.

• Like 2

I simply don't understand this line of thinking. His gear is not his legacy. It truly doesn't concern you, me, or anyone who isn't directly involved. I don't know anyone here who would question Tim's integrity.

I did not know who was involved, I was just disappointed. However, if you plaster something all over a public forum advertising a specific system, that belonged to a specific individual, especially one that was as well respected and well known as Tony, you cannot blame people for being curious. Fuck it though, with the attitudes here, I'm taking a break from this forum for awhile.

I would hope that my TI work is not my legacy but often it feels that way, especially when considering matters of mortality. Sometimes I hope my legacy was when I rather proactively intercepted that Baby's carriage on it's way into traffic!

I never had the opportunity to interact with Tony so my thoughts are remote.
Feeling however can run high! Maybe I don't get it. If any one ever get's my legacy I hope they just don't break it up unless that's Best. To paraphrase Schmitzi somewhat.

I think the questions here are of self-conscience, this differs in understandings and coping skills more than some other matters.

I for one hope I manage being considerate of both the material and the spiritual.

I hate it when I speak to soon(which seems to be much of the time) and am than uncertain... Highly interpretive.

It is not easy but I am inclined to celebrate one's life at least as much as to morn one's passing.

I hope the system in question goes to a good home. :)

• Like 1

As I feel a very high level of importance on this issue I am going to be late for work to comment on the topic.

It is more than obvious everyone who posted in this thread is feeling emotionally charged over Tony and having lost him. I was nowhere near a friend to him as some others here, but I had a couple of conversations with him -- honestly some which lasted all of two sentences -- which left me with a very deep feeling for him as a person. Not only was he an impressive, god-like to some, presence in the TI community, he made a deep impact on every who came into contact with him: some negative for his blunt gruffness when he stood firm on a topic; some positive for his love and enthusiasm for the platform and helping people, not to mention his interpersonal out-reach and friendliness in general.

While I understand his system may represent a sort-of shrine to him and his work, it was also his hobby and a labor of love, and we have all at one time or another pointed out how this hobby and love can be very expensive. We also all understand how sometimes we take on more than we can handle, biting off more than we can chew, so to speak. What starts out with the best intentions can often end in trouble, turmoil, or disaster.

The missing piece of information was that money had to be spent on repairs for Tony's old system, and while some might have openly advertised this fact, it is, as bluntly put, none of our business and up to those involved to share that information as seen fit. As a matter of pride, privacy, or humility, some people do things in the background, behind the scenes, and that information might only be passed on to the prospective new owners or select few.

Being the tight community we are, we can all be comfortable in how we feel about profiteering or taking advantage of other people. Bear in mind there are likely a couple of people here who would trade a kidney for some golden unobtanium, this system in particular. That notwithstanding, once it goes into someone else's hands, while it retains its legacy, it will likely be added to, something changed about it which makes it better for the next person in the chain, thus adding value even if that value is not having to spend the time getting it fixed. I tend to the side of thinking that had Tony given this machine away his only requirement would be no one ask for more than they put into it to make it better, and had he sold it out-right he would have desired to place no restrictions upon it.

We will never know for certain as we can never truly know someone's intentions and motivations without them explicitly defined, and for this same reason we cannot immediately cast aspersions at others. Shedding my own envy and bereavement over the matter, I could say with absolute confidence Tony would enjoy being remembered fondly and with a legacy, but not to be canonized nor his possessions idolized.

I must be honest with myself as I look over the Geneve I have had sitting here for almost three years, among other projects which have languished, I could put neither the time nor money deserved into Tony's system, to use or even fix up. I am happy, however, to chip in to help someone who may have the time, motivation, and expertise to obtain it and give it the proper care it deserves.

I know we understand that even if things happening outside of our control are happening in ways with which we do not agree, we can come to terms with our emotions and not allow ourselves and this good-sized and growing community to be divided.

• Like 7