Atari Basic Error 146 When Opening Tape for Output

error 146 basic cassette tape

9 replies to this topic

#1 jnharmon OFFLINE  

jnharmon

Space Invader

• 31 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 11:40 AM

Is there a limitation in Atari Basic that prevents opening the C: tape device for output?  I get an error 146 if I execute the following command:

OPEN #1,8,0,"C:"

This works for other devices including disk files, P:, E:, etc, but I'm unclear as to why this doesn't work for the C: device, which I would assume supports input and output.

As an FYI, I'm doing this under Altirra.

Thanks!

#2 vitoco ONLINE  

vitoco

Moonsweeper

• 333 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:38 PM

That is strange. It works for me.

Is "C: patch" disabled in your Altirra configuration? Also, did you start the virtual tape before pressing a key after the double beep? Can you hear the recording carrier and data tones?

#3 jnharmon OFFLINE  

jnharmon

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 1:13 PM

Yeah, thanks.

I have the tape control up and the record button pressed before I execute the statement.  I've tried with the C: patch on and off and get the same results.

I expect it will work with my real Atari 800 and 410.  Must be some Altirra config issue but I'm not sure what.

#4 jnharmon OFFLINE  

jnharmon

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Found the issue.  I had Altirra configured to use the Omniview OS, which seems to present problems under Altirra in this case - probably due to some OS patching incompatibility. 

Switching to the normal XL/XE OS fixed the issue.

#5 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 3,068 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 3:48 PM

Hmmm,

I am not a programmer, but most Basic programs I have seen that use the Open command for tape do have a 128 in that line, so something like: OPEN #1,4,128,"C:"  or OPEN #1,8,128,"C:" 

#6 vitoco ONLINE  

vitoco

Moonsweeper

• 333 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2019 4:07 PM

Hmmm,

I am not a programmer, but most Basic programs I have seen that use the Open command for tape do have a 128 in that line, so something like: OPEN #1,4,128,"C:"  or OPEN #1,8,128,"C:" 

128 in AUX2 means that short inter-record gaps (IRG) must be used at save, so the data could be continuously retrieved at the read, probably using USR I/O routines (CIOV). When data is to be read using INPUT #1,VAR in a (usually) slow loop, a normal (long) IRG should be used in order to allow delays without stopping the tape and avoid SYNC errors.

#7 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,029 posts

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2019 6:42 PM

For the most part, Atari Basic is too slow to use the short IRG effectively, especially for read operations.

#8 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• 2,704 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:43 AM

Error 146 is the CIO error code for Not Supported. The reason this happens with the Omniview OS is that the cassette handler has been removed in that OS -- the entire C: device handler is just RTS calls.

#9 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,896 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 PM

146 - Function Not Implemented. That's like when my idiot 'employer' wants me to sweep the RUG with a BROOM instead of a Vacuum Cleaner (which is right there).

You are asking a device to perform a function that it was not designed to do (or is incapable of doing).

#10 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,547 posts

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 PM

no you must take the rug up from the floor and hang it from cables outside! Yes this what you MUST do, and then you must beat the rug and sweep it while hanging... yes, this you must do!

only then can you truly appreciate how filthy and dirty a rug is, you will wear it as will all things within a city block of the beat down...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users