IGNORED

5200 Multicart Blast cartridge available!

I for one am very excited abou this cart. It is my understanding that although the hardware of the Atari 5200 is the same as the 8-bit computer... many versions of it's games are better than their 8-bit counterparts, simply because those titles were released at a later time.

am I correct? What titles should I be excited about?

-darkman

Crystal Castel had been added into this list by mistake.. it can be removed.

Mario Brothers Audio works ok on 400/800/XL/XE, it has been fixed..

Centipede was added to the cartrige.. now you have 20 games..

Stargae is alteady in one of the other Multi-game carts

I am not aware that football was ported from the 5200 to the 8bit computer.. altleast i never saw it.

Mario Brothers Audio works ok on 400/800/XL/XE, it has been fixed..  

Centipede was added to the cartrige.. now you have 20 games..

Stargae is alteady in one of the other Multi-game carts

I am not aware that football was ported from the 5200 to the 8bit computer.. altleast i never saw it.

Can't those who request it have "Crystal Castles" as a bonus? I love that game, and haven't been able to find a cart replacement for the one I lost years ago. :)

Hi David,

Crystal Castles is also on the soon to be released Multy-game cart #3.

this version of crystal castle is the fully-working unreleased 16k version (this why it got in the 5200 cart by mistake).. you probably had the 32k XE version.

Yep there is no 5200 Crystal Castles. After much research and checking I've discovered that the 400/800 version was nearly finished (around 95%), but they never ported it to the 5200 (which would have done after the 400/800 version was 100% finished). So those prototypes that Curt posted a few months ago are the closest you're ever going to get.

I am not aware that football was ported from the 5200 to the 8bit computer.. at least i never saw it.  

By Football I assume you mean Soccer (I guess we really are seperated by a common language). There IS a 400/800 RS Soccer prototype, but I don't know if it has been found yet. John Seghers (the programmer) said he definetly programmed it.

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

There are two Dig Dugs for the 400/800. One is an earlier version that had large sprites and IMHO doesn't play very well. The later version is the same as the 5200 version. You can't tell which one you have until you plug the cart in and turn it on.

Tempest

I just received the cart today and have to say that it's a wonderful bargain. It's great having "Berzerk", "Mr. Do!s Castle", and "Montezuma's Revenge" on one cart!

I note that the 5200 version of "Mario Bros." is substantially different from the XE version (and, I think, quite a bit better). Can anyone advise if they were coded at the same time, or if the XE was a later (and less "green") port?

Dya mean u prefer the 5200 version:

5200 version of "Mario Bros." is substantially different from the XE version (and, I think, quite a bit better)

If so -- you're MAD!

The XEGS version is VERY arcade like, the 5200 version is pretty poopy!

sTeVE

Dya mean u prefer the 5200 version:

5200 version of "Mario Bros." is substantially different from the XE version (and, I think, quite a bit better)

If so -- you're MAD!

The XEGS version is VERY arcade like, the 5200 version is pretty poopy!

sTeVE

Well, I do agree that the colour scheme is sort of poopy, but I thought that the "tile wave" motion is a bit smoother in the 5200 version. It also seems to be just a bit harder than the XE version. :)

C'mon!

5200 MB plays very little like the arcade game (speed and enemy movement are ppor) and the graphics are simply awful in comparison -- drab colors, ill defined characetrs and enemies -- they look nothing like the arcade game, and as for the sound, well.... :)

XEGS MB is worlds apart (and so it should be for many times the memory capacity)...

sTeVE

C'mon!

5200 MB plays very little like the arcade game (speed and enemy movement are ppor) and the graphics are simply awful in comparison -- drab colors, ill defined characetrs and enemies -- they look nothing like the arcade game, and as for the sound, well.... :)

XEGS MB is worlds apart (and so it should be for many times the memory capacity)...

sTeVE

I've never played the arcade version of "Mario Brothers"; video arcades disappeared from Calgary long ago. :(

Maybe I'm just impressed that Mario's so...obese in the 5200 version -- I could almost hear him pant while playing the game! :)

Archived